Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > email clients -vs- webmail

email clients -vs- webmail

agent_mcgee

What is everyone's opinion as regards to email clients like Outlook,
Thunderbird, Eudora etc vs webmail like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail etc?

Seems to me that webmail is being geared more and more towards looking
like Outlook anyway.

What is everyone using and why?

I have an Xtra address that I run using Outlook though I do use the
new Bubble thing. Gmail is awesome too!

Richard

agent_mcgee wrote:
> What is everyone's opinion as regards to email clients like Outlook,
> Thunderbird, Eudora etc vs webmail like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail etc?
>
> Seems to me that webmail is being geared more and more towards looking
> like Outlook anyway.
>
> What is everyone using and why?
>
> I have an Xtra address that I run using Outlook though I do use the
> new Bubble thing. Gmail is awesome too!

Hate webmail, use outlook for emails here since its the one that has the
best search, good editor and doesnt store every folder in a seperate
file like most others do.

Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 01:26:13 -0800, agent_mcgee wrote:

> What is everyone using and why?

I use Evolution on the desktop, and Pine if I want to view email directly
from on the server.

--
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

whoisthis

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
agent_mcgee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What is everyone's opinion as regards to email clients like Outlook,
> Thunderbird, Eudora etc vs webmail like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail etc?
>
> Seems to me that webmail is being geared more and more towards looking
> like Outlook anyway.
>
> What is everyone using and why?
>
> I have an Xtra address that I run using Outlook though I do use the
> new Bubble thing. Gmail is awesome too!

I use both, webmail is useful for deleting spam before using a real
email client to download all of the mail. A good ISP will also allow you
to mark spam as spam and then block it.

whoisthis

In article <476f928b$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> agent_mcgee wrote:
> > What is everyone's opinion as regards to email clients like Outlook,
> > Thunderbird, Eudora etc vs webmail like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail etc?
> >
> > Seems to me that webmail is being geared more and more towards looking
> > like Outlook anyway.
> >
> > What is everyone using and why?
> >
> > I have an Xtra address that I run using Outlook though I do use the
> > new Bubble thing. Gmail is awesome too!

> Hate webmail, use outlook for emails here since its the one that has the
> best search, good editor and doesnt store every folder in a seperate
> file like most others do.

The bad side os a single file/database is if gets corrupted you can
loose everything. Equally if you do incremental backups you have to back
up everything rather than just the new emails.

Tony

> I use both, webmail is useful for deleting spam before using a real
> email client to download all of the mail. A good ISP will also allow you
> to mark spam as spam and then block it.

A good ISP doesn't deliver spam at all !

whoisthis

In article <newscache$wofltj$afd$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tony <(E-Mail Removed) m> wrote:

> > I use both, webmail is useful for deleting spam before using a real
> > email client to download all of the mail. A good ISP will also allow you
> > to mark spam as spam and then block it.

> A good ISP doesn't deliver spam at all !

NO ISP is perfect.....well maybe gmail is...as far as spam goes that is.

Sonn

whoisthis wrote:
> In article <newscache$wofltj$afd$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Tony <(E-Mail Removed) m> wrote:
>
>>> I use both, webmail is useful for deleting spam before using a real
>>> email client to download all of the mail. A good ISP will also allow you
>>> to mark spam as spam and then block it.

>> A good ISP doesn't deliver spam at all !

> NO ISP is perfect.....well maybe gmail is...as far as spam goes that is.

Gmail, no spam, downloaded into Thunderbird. (Handles webmail, email,
and newsgroups in one package, html or text only, with a calendar add-on
option.) Absolutely tops.
S.

Chris Lim

On Dec 24, 10:26*pm, agent_mcgee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What is everyone's opinion as regards to email clients like Outlook,
> Thunderbird, Eudora etc vs webmail like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail etc?
>
> Seems to me that webmail is being geared more and more towards looking
> like Outlook anyway.
>
> What is everyone using and why?

I use Yahoo Mail for personal emails and have done for about 15 years.
I find that being ISP-independent is great, especially given the email
problems NZ ISP's have had over the years, and since I don't get sent
many large attachments I don't find speed to be an issue.

Chris Lim

On Dec 24, 10:26*pm, agent_mcgee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have an Xtra address that I run using Outlook though I do use the
> new Bubble thing. *Gmail is awesome too!

Oh, forgot to say that one reason I've stayed away from Gmail is
because I use Google Groups as my newsreader and I know how crap that
is. I'll wait a few years to see how Gmail is then before I even
consider using it as my primary email address.