Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Colour Lasers

Colour Lasers

Peter Jenkins

I am in the market for a low end colour laser printer, preferably
something not too big (must fit in a 28cm high space) so it won't be a
multifunction

Any recommendations, brands to buy or avoid?

Regards
Peter Jenkins
see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

Rob S

Peter Jenkins wrote:
> I am in the market for a low end colour laser printer, preferably
> something not too big (must fit in a 28cm high space) so it won't be a
> multifunction
>
> Any recommendations, brands to buy or avoid?
>
> Regards
> Peter Jenkins
> see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

PC World did a buyers guide ( http://tinyurl.com/yrgja4 ) not long ago,
but it's very general, not reviewing any particular printers. I thought
they did a review/comparison of 1/2 dozen machines, but it may have been
PC Authority (My brother's mags, so I can't check).

The PC World article will help you avoid some of the pitfalls in buying
cheap colour lasers.

Cheers
--

Rob
http://www.aspir8or.com

I do know everything, just not all at once. It's a virtual memory problem.

Dave Taylor

Peter Jenkins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:a36a6c12-01b8-4c61-

> (must fit in a 28cm high space)

Probably not going to happen, but maybe a small brother will be low
profile. Most are a bit higher and shorter.

--
Ciao, Dave

ChrisB

I doubt you'll find one that low - even if you do a lot of them eject
the paper to the top. I'm on my second colour laser - the first a
Konica-Minolta 2500W started jamming after 3 years of service. I'm now
using a Canon LBP5000 and find it faster and quieter. I'm fairly sure
it's higher than 28cm though, and it ejects to the top.

Peter Jenkins wrote:
> I am in the market for a low end colour laser printer, preferably
> something not too big (must fit in a 28cm high space) so it won't be a
> multifunction
>
> Any recommendations, brands to buy or avoid?
>
> Regards
> Peter Jenkins
> see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

Liam Greenwood

I don't think this will meet the OP's requirements (hence the subject change)
but I recently got a colour laser printer and m hap-hap-happy with it.

What I want in a printer:
* Networkable
* Hold a ream (500 sheets) of paper
* Postscript
* reasonable per page printing costs
* a preference for laser
* fast

We have a Lexmark Optra T614 that does most of that. It needs a new fuser
though (which I have, but it's a project to swap it so it hasn't happened
yet).

Additionally it would be nice to tack on to the above:
* Colour
* Photo printing

Added from the Optra experience
* Easy changing of those parts that are actually consumables (eg fuser)

What I got: A Xerox Phaser 6250 - was $320 off Craigslist.
* 26 pages per minute in full color / 26 ppm in black
* 700 MHz PowerPC processor
* Maximum resolution 2400 dpi
* First page drops in the output tray in less than 12 seconds
* True Adobe Postscript (137 fonts), PCL5c (81 fonts)
* Maximum duty cycle up to 100,000 pages per month

80lbs/36kgs of printing goodness! Which meets one of my general criteria
for kit - I have to be able to carry it myself. After having a Sun
E450 that lived down a set of stairs....

Since purchase I have stocked up on an imageing unit, a transfer roller
and a fuser off eBay, on the theory buying them at less than retail before
I need them would save me money in the long run over having an item
die and having to pay retail. As I don't know the real history of the unit
I figured all the consumables were suspect. The fuser died the day the
replacement arrived - kinda confirmed my plan .

Fast. Oh my fast . Photos print out nice just on the enhanced print
setting (which is the default setting I have it on) and really nice on
the photo setting. Network stacks include APP, LPR, LP, SMB, Netware.
Management software is amazing. It's really nice.

Cheers, Liam

Peter Jenkins

On Dec 21, 10:01 am, ChrisB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I doubt you'll find one that low - even if you do a lot of them eject
> the paper to the top. I'm on my second colour laser - the first a
> Konica-Minolta 2500W started jamming after 3 years of service. I'm now
> using a Canon LBP5000 and find it faster and quieter. I'm fairly sure
> it's higher than 28cm though, and it ejects to the top.
>
> Peter Jenkins wrote:
> > I am in the market for a low end colour laser printer, preferably
> > something not too big (must fit in a 28cm high space) so it won't be a
> > multifunction

> > Any recommendations, brands to buy or avoid?

> > Regards
> > Peter Jenkins
> > seehttp://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

I ended up getting a Samsung CLP300

It fits and does what I want, very nice little printer.

Not the fastest thing in the world, but nice output, and I dont print
vast quantities, just the odd document and smaps page for Trade Me
pickups (for which the colour enhances readability greatly)

Regards
Peter Jenkins

Peter Jenkins wrote:

> I ended up getting a Samsung CLP300
>
> It fits and does what I want, very nice little printer.
>
> Not the fastest thing in the world, but nice output, and I dont print
> vast quantities, just the odd document and smaps page for Trade Me
> pickups (for which the colour enhances readability greatly)

At the size (Net Dimension (WxDxH): 390 x 344 x 265 mm ) and price it
looks like a nice little printer. Reviews are good and it seems fairly
inexpensive to run, though if you end up doing a lot of printing you
might get teed off replace the toner cartridges. 2000 pages for black
and 1000 for colour. Otherwise it looks like a good choice for your needs.

--

Rob
http://www.aspir8or.com

Einstein never accepted quantum mechanics because of this element of
chance and uncertainty. He said: God does not play dice. It seems that
Einstein was doubly wrong. The quantum effects of black holes suggests
that not only does God play dice, He sometimes throws them where they
cannot be seen. - Steven Hawking