Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Managed to solve it on my own

Managed to solve it on my own

SlowLearner

I had a lightbulb moment and checked who owned com.co.nz (some guy in
Palmerston North)

Then I did an nslookup on com.co.nz and it returned 208.73.212.12.

So I guess what they have done is registered com.co.nz.

When I try to go to an address that does not exist a nameserver up the
line from me 'helpfully' adds .co.nz on the end changing the url to
<somename>.com.co.nz which then redirects to information.com.

There are some real asshats on the internet.

Mark Robinson

SlowLearner wrote:
> I had a lightbulb moment and checked who owned com.co.nz (some guy in
> Palmerston North)
>
> Then I did an nslookup on com.co.nz and it returned 208.73.212.12.
>
> So I guess what they have done is registered com.co.nz.
>
> When I try to go to an address that does not exist a nameserver up the
> line from me 'helpfully' adds .co.nz on the end changing the url to
> <somename>.com.co.nz which then redirects to information.com.

Probably your browser.

Richard

SlowLearner wrote:
> I had a lightbulb moment and checked who owned com.co.nz (some guy in
> Palmerston North)
>
> Then I did an nslookup on com.co.nz and it returned 208.73.212.12.
>
> So I guess what they have done is registered com.co.nz.
>
> When I try to go to an address that does not exist a nameserver up the
> line from me 'helpfully' adds .co.nz on the end changing the url to
> <somename>.com.co.nz which then redirects to information.com.
>
> There are some real asshats on the internet.

Please explain how that is an asshat thing do to? I thought it is quite
cleaver.

Rob S

Richard wrote:
> SlowLearner wrote:
>> I had a lightbulb moment and checked who owned com.co.nz (some guy in
>> Palmerston North)
>>
>> Then I did an nslookup on com.co.nz and it returned 208.73.212.12.
>>
>> So I guess what they have done is registered com.co.nz.
>>
>> When I try to go to an address that does not exist a nameserver up the
>> line from me 'helpfully' adds .co.nz on the end changing the url to
>> <somename>.com.co.nz which then redirects to information.com.
>>
>> There are some real asshats on the internet.

> Please explain how that is an asshat thing do to? I thought it is quite
> cleaver.

Correct. Whoever set up the dns server is more likely the one at fault,
not the owner of the domain. Are you sure it's a dns server at fault,
and not some setting in your browser. IIRC, An older version of IE gave
you the option of auto-completion of country domains i.e. auto add .com
or .com.au etc. Don't know if IE still does it as I don't use it.

--

Rob
http://www.aspir8or.com

I do know everything, just not all at once. It's a virtual memory problem.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
SlowLearner did write:

> When I try to go to an address that does not exist a nameserver up the
> line from me 'helpfully' adds .co.nz on the end ...

That's being done on your system.

Dave Taylor

SlowLearner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1d4c08aa-b8f2-48fd-

> When I try to go to an address that does not exist a nameserver up the
> line from me 'helpfully' adds .co.nz on the end changing the url to
> <somename>.com.co.nz which then redirects to information.com.

Doubtful
I think if you are running windows, you might want to google for a tutorial
on nslookup
Learn how the hosts file , the DNS servers and finaly a URL in your browser
all go together.

Try this, start, run, cmd, nslookup, help

It is a very powerful tool.

--
Ciao, Dave

SlowLearner

1stly, apologies for not replying to my own thread about Domain
Squatting and starting this one as well, I got a little confused.

Thanks for the advice guys

The only bit I am unsure of is that when I use nslookup from the
commandline it returns 208.73.212.12 if I enter the name of a .com
domain that does not exist.

As I am not doing this from the browser so I don't think it is adding
the .co.nz bit. Trying it somewhere else (different location,
different ISP but still on an XP machine) did not result in .co.nz
being added and returned a "Domain does not exist".

I *thought* it was working like this:

1. I enter: nslookup <some unused domain>.com
2. nslookup trundles off and passes my query down the line of DNS
servers until hopefully one recognises the name.
3. none of the DNS servers recognises the name
4. somewhere along the line the "Domain does not exist" message is
caught by a helpful nameserver (or other application) and .co.nz is
added to the end giving <somename>.com.co.nz.
5. This returns a result everytime (try typing nslookup
asdsdlfkjsdfk.com.co.nz) which directs you to a "search" site.

>Please explain how that is an asshat thing do to? I thought it is quite cleaver.

I think having someone (something?) helpfully try other extensions
*is* helpful, what I thought was pretty lame was taking advantage of
this and registering a domain as a catch all to sending the poor user
to a crappy "search" site when you mistype /enter a non-existant
domain name instead of letting things take their course.

Dave Taylor

SlowLearner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:d1a4362b-5a21-478d-
(E-Mail Removed):

> I think having someone (something?) helpfully try other extensions
> *is* helpful, what I thought was pretty lame was taking advantage of
> this and registering a domain as a catch all to sending the poor user
> to a crappy "search" site when you mistype /enter a non-existant
> domain name instead of letting things take their course.

Maybe your DNS server is doing this?

Look into how OpenDNS can help or hinder users:
Try using a different DNS server to do the lookup.
OpenDNS is here:
http://www.opendns.com/
It redirects invalid DNS queries to safer web sites to protect users who
don't know any better. It is a good idea for users who cant keep their
machine up to date with AV, Anti Spyware and just click everything. It is
not a cure, but helps.

--
Ciao, Dave

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
SlowLearner did write:

]> The only bit I am unsure of is that when I use nslookup from the
> commandline it returns 208.73.212.12 if I enter the name of a .com
> domain that does not exist.

nslookup is obsolete. Try the host command, e.g.

$ host -C example.com
example.com NS a.iana-servers.net
dns1.icann.org hostmaster.icann.org (2007051703 7200 3600 1209600 86400)
!!! example.com SOA primary dns1.icann.org is not advertised via NS
example.com NS b.iana-servers.net
dns1.icann.org hostmaster.icann.org (2007051703 7200 3600 1209600 86400)

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, SlowLearner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>>Please explain how that is an asshat thing do to? I thought it is quite

> cleaver.
>
>I think having someone (something?) helpfully try other extensions
>*is* helpful, what I thought was pretty lame was taking advantage of
>this and registering a domain as a catch all to sending the poor user
>to a crappy "search" site when you mistype /enter a non-existant
>domain name instead of letting things take their course.

IIRC, there are/were telcos in the US (at least) who register names such as
"I don't care", "I have no idea", "couldn't care less" and similar, so that
when they call and ask you what teleco you are with and you give them one of
those answers, they can sign you up. This may have been some time ago ...
and it may also be wrong - memory is like that.