Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > FSF's Stallman branded a hypocritical liar

FSF's Stallman branded a hypocritical liar

Mickey Mouse

More bitchiness resulting from comments made by the "Free Software
Foundation"'s Stallman.

OpenBSD founder Theo de Raadt responds to inferences made by Stallman, by
stating;

"Richard, you are wrong. You said very clearly in your interview that the
ports tree contains non-free software. It does not. It is just a scaffold
of Makefiles containing URLs, and an occasional patch here or there.

You are just plain wrong. And you are not enough of a man to admit that you
are wrong.

I may be unfriendly at times, but you are a power-misusing hypocritical liar
who attacks projects that try harder than any others to only make free
software available."

peterwn

On Dec 18, 1:06 pm, "Mickey Mouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> More bitchiness resulting from comments made by the "Free Software
> Foundation"'s Stallman.

What do you expect all of us to do about it?

Forsake Linux or OpenBSD in favour of Micro$oft products?

impossible

"peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Dec 18, 1:06 pm, "Mickey Mouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> More bitchiness resulting from comments made by the "Free Software
>> Foundation"'s Stallman.
>>

> What do you expect all of us to do about it?
>
> Forsake Linux or OpenBSD in favour of Micro$oft products?

Oops, you woke up the nixNazi.

peterwn

On Dec 18, 2:47 pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Oops, you woke up the nixNazi.

I thought they were supposed to be commies, not fascists.

impossible

"peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Dec 18, 2:47 pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> What do you expect all of us to do about it?
>>>
>>> Forsake Linux or OpenBSD in favour of Micro$oft products?

>> Oops, you woke up the nixNazi.

> I thought they were supposed to be commies, not fascists.

"They"? Don't flatter yourself.

Fierce Guppy

peterwn wrote :
> On Dec 18, 2:47 pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Oops, you woke up the nixNazi.

> I thought they were supposed to be commies, not fascists.

Yes, that's right. Dead opposites like what Black Power is to the
Mongrel Mob.

--
email: fierce,guppy@paradise,net,nz

thingy

Mickey Mouse wrote:
> More bitchiness resulting from comments made by the "Free Software
> Foundation"'s Stallman.
>
> OpenBSD founder Theo de Raadt responds to inferences made by Stallman,
> by stating;
>
> "Richard, you are wrong. You said very clearly in your interview that
> the ports tree contains non-free software. It does not. It is just a
> scaffold of Makefiles containing URLs, and an occasional patch here or
> there.
>
> You are just plain wrong. And you are not enough of a man to admit that
> you are wrong.
>
> I may be unfriendly at times, but you are a power-misusing hypocritical
> liar who attacks projects that try harder than any others to only make
> free software available."

Stallman is fanatical....lost the plot years ago....

regards

Thing

Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:03:22 +1300, thingy wrote:

> Stallman is fanatical....lost the plot years ago....

I don't think so.

What he is doing is following the idea that people should be free to
download, use, modify, and redistribute software as they want, and that
all modifications that they make to publicly distributed software should
be likewise made available.

He has not changed his basic premise. His interest is in the freedom of
software. Hence the organisation he is a part of is the Free Software
Foundation.

I applaud his vision.

--
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

impossible

"Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:03:22 +1300, thingy wrote:
>
>> Stallman is fanatical....lost the plot years ago....

> I don't think so.
>
> What he is doing is following the idea that people should be free to
> download, use, modify, and redistribute software as they want, and that
> all modifications that they make to publicly distributed software should
> be likewise made available.
>
> He has not changed his basic premise. His interest is in the freedom of
> software. Hence the organisation he is a part of is the Free Software
> Foundation.
>
> I applaud his vision.

Stallman's "vision" is not what makes him a fanantic. It's his
religious-like devotion to open-source fundamentalism, which blinds him to
business and economic realities. In pressing this fundamentalism on a
skeptical world, Stallman has also developed a reputation for being
something of a loon -- hence the OP.

peterwn

On Dec 20, 6:46 am, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Stallman's "vision" is not what makes him a fanantic. It's his
> religious-like devotion to open-source fundamentalism, which blinds him to
> business and economic realities. In pressing this fundamentalism on a
> skeptical world, Stallman has also developed a reputation for being
> something of a loon -- hence the OP.

mmm, sounds like something out of the Micro$oft propaganda department.

Unlike Bill Gates, Richard is not seeking world domination.