Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What not to buy

What not to buy

impossible

"frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> impossible wrote:
>> "frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> What "law"?

>> US and EU copyright law.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

> Ok thanks - I get it.
> So - a company which makes ginsu steak knives with rubber blades "respects
> the law" wrt preventing stabbing homicide.

Oh, thanks -- I get it. Another person who can't do analogies.

impossible

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> impossible wrote:
>> "Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fjiae0$sul$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Well, the facts remain.
>>>

>> What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
>> hard drive package respects the law on DRM?

> There is no law on DRM, in fact DRM contravenes copyright law by taking
> away the balance that was part of the law.
>
>>> So too with Seagate here,
>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...te-snubs-linux
>>>

>> What facts? That Seagate markets its external hard drives to a mass
>> market of Windows users?
>>

> If they want to be that dumb.....considering MAC users probably are more
> affluent and "discerning" purchasers of "quality" kit.....shooting oneself
> in the foot like this is plain stupid IMHO.

AFAIK--Macs work just fine with the Seagate Free Agents. Do you have some
evidence to the contrary?

impossible

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> impossible wrote:
>> "Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fjiae0$sul$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Well, the facts remain.
>>>

>> What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
>> hard drive package respects the law on DRM?

> There is no law on DRM, in fact DRM contravenes copyright law by taking
> away the balance that was part of the law.
>
>>> So too with Seagate here,
>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...te-snubs-linux
>>>

>> What facts? That Seagate markets its external hard drives to a mass
>> market of Windows users?
>>

> If they want to be that dumb.....considering MAC users probably are more
> affluent and "discerning" purchasers of "quality" kit.....shooting oneself
> in the foot like this is plain stupid IMHO.

AFAIK--Macs work just fine with the Seagate Free Agents. Do you have some
evidence to the contrary?

sam

impossible wrote:
> "frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> impossible wrote:
>>
>>> What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
>>> hard drive package respects the law on DRM?
>>>

>> What "law"?

> US and EU copyright law.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

It implements the policy by file type.
Nothing to do with respecting the law on DRM, whatever that means, or
any drm protection in the file, or the copyright status of the file.

thingy

impossible wrote:
> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> impossible wrote:
>>> "frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> US and EU copyright law.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

>> No,
>>
>> The WD blocks even legit video.......so it is perfectly reasonable to look
>> and say, oh this does not meet my needs as a user....so it is perfectly
>> legit to boycott crap products that shaft us the consumer.
>>

> You didn't say, "Boycott this product...". You said, "forget WD". There's a
> big difference.

yes and no.......

Are you seriously suggesting that people should boycott all
> WD drives because the third-party software on one product is not to your
> liking?
>
>> As a legit user of home grown video and images I don't want some dumb
>> software blocking me from doing/displaying my work.
>>

> Well, first of all, that software won't prevent you from "doing/displaying"
> your work. It simply prevents users who connect to your drive through that
> software from sharing those files.

and I want to be able to share them....hence I supplied the link for
people to read.

If you'd bothered to read investigate
> beyond the Register troll-bait, you'd have noticed that. In any case, if you
> don't like that "feature" -- and neither do I, btw -- then don't buy that
> product, it'as simple as that.

yes..........

Standard WD drives are just fine, don't you
> think?

yes....and no....

By boycotting WD totally consumers send a clear message that WD has to
listen to customers...and not Holywood....

There has also been concept papers around moving this tech to internal
drives....so by making it clear to WD that their first product is not
acceptable it will not be moved to new ones....

regards

thing

sam

thingy wrote:
> impossible wrote:
>> "frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> What "law"?

>> US and EU copyright law.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management
>>

> No,
>
> The WD blocks even legit video.......so it is perfectly reasonable to
> look and say, oh this does not meet my needs as a user....so it is
> perfectly legit to boycott crap products that shaft us the consumer.
>
> As a legit user of home grown video and images I don't want some dumb
> software blocking me from doing/displaying my work.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Actually for someone such as yourself with Linux skills it looks like a
pretty interesting open box with an ARM linux operating system
http://martin.hinner.info/mybook/

sam

thingy wrote:
> So forget WD drives....
>
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...led_harddrive/
>

> regards
>
> thing

The Reg article is flat out WRONG
The drive provides normal LAN access to all its files.
WD Anywhere Access http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD_Anywhere_Access is a
subscription service provided by Mionet
http://mionet.com/ which is bundled with the drive.
The drive has a service which logs onto mionet to provide access to your
files except fot the restricted file types without a host computer, from
the internet.
If you wish you can disable the mionet service and install another
server like vsftpd.

sam

thingy wrote:
> impossible wrote:
>> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> No,
>>>
>>> The WD blocks even legit video.......so it is perfectly reasonable to
>>> look and say, oh this does not meet my needs as a user....so it is
>>> perfectly legit to boycott crap products that shaft us the consumer.
>>>

>> You didn't say, "Boycott this product...". You said, "forget WD".
>> There's a big difference.

> yes and no.......
>
> Are you seriously suggesting that people should boycott all
>> WD drives because the third-party software on one product is not to
>> your liking?
>>
>>> As a legit user of home grown video and images I don't want some dumb
>>> software blocking me from doing/displaying my work.
>>>

>> Well, first of all, that software won't prevent you from
>> "doing/displaying" your work. It simply prevents users who connect to
>> your drive through that software from sharing those files.

> and I want to be able to share them....hence I supplied the link for
> people to read.
>
> If you'd bothered to read investigate
>> beyond the Register troll-bait, you'd have noticed that. In any case,
>> if you don't like that "feature" -- and neither do I, btw -- then
>> don't buy that product, it'as simple as that.

> yes..........
>
> Standard WD drives are just fine, don't you
>> think?
>>

> yes....and no....
>
> By boycotting WD totally consumers send a clear message that WD has to
> listen to customers...and not Holywood....
>
> There has also been concept papers around moving this tech to internal
> drives....so by making it clear to WD that their first product is not
> acceptable it will not be moved to new ones....
>
> regards
>
> thing

You are propagating bullshit dude
The WD drive does not stop you sharing anything you like on the LAN it
is just a NAS box with samba
The "WD Anywhere Access Service powered by Mionet" is a web service
provided so you can access your files through a third part gateway on
the internet. That is the part that restricts access by file type.
If you want to hack it to be available on the internet you can put on
your own ftp server, the nslu2 hack sites probably have prebuilt packages.
It has nothing to do with DRM or EU and US law, "impossible" is
kneejerking as much as you are. Whats new .

impossible

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> By boycotting WD totally consumers send a clear message that WD has to
> listen to customers...and not Holywood....
>
> There has also been concept papers around moving this tech to internal
> drives....so by making it clear to WD that their first product is not
> acceptable it will not be moved to new ones....

The software you're talking about is a user-installed option, for heaven's
sake, not a root-kit. If WD wants to throw that on a cd with all its retail
internal drives, so what? People who don't like the software restrictions
are perfectly free to share their files using some other network
configuration.

impossible

"sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:475db74d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> impossible wrote:
>> "frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> What "law"?

>> US and EU copyright law.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

> It implements the policy by file type.
> Nothing to do with respecting the law on DRM, whatever that means, or any
> drm protection in the file, or the copyright status of the file.

If you go to WD's product site, you'll see that the third-party software
they use specifically bans ceratin file types because of "unverifiable media
license authentication" issues. There's no other reason for WD to do that
than to stay onside with copyright lawyers.