Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telstra Clear broadband

Telstra Clear broadband

Mark Robinson

no http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 22:19:11 +1300, Mark Robinson <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote:
>
>> sam wrote:

>>> Its not the speeds, its the outages that are the problem.
>>> When I asked if they would rebate dialup charges when their cable
>>> service failed so I had to connect with them via dialup, their helpdesk
>>> refused and said their T&C doesn't guarantee a fault free service so
>>> they are not obligated to do anything. This was after 2 extended outages
>>> in a day, and regular extended outages recently.
>>> Their helpdesk reponse time was at 70 minutes so there must be a hell of
>>> a lot of people in the same predicament.
>>> I haven't received their rebate offer and I don't think extended outages
>>> are good enough regardless.

>> Confirmed and seconded.
>>
>> I recently had use of a slingshot adsl connection in a small provincial town
>> for a few weeks: Considerably cheaper, twice as fast and with the same quota as
>> the Telstra cable connection I usually use.
>>
>> Telstra refuse to provide any backup power for their remote demuxes and line
>> amplifiers so they all go down in a power cut as well as regular unannounced
>> planned outages for maintenance and level checking. Mosts telephone exchanges
>> have good backup power systems so adsl connections served directly by these
>> exchanges remain up in power cuts.

> In Kapiti the phones go down when their is a power outage..

Woger, Woger, Woger.

Does your phone plug into the mains by any chance ?

You see, my phone works fine in a power cut.

> Plus me thinks you are asking far to much and the cost would be massive, may be you just don't have
> a clue, here all of Kapiti would have to have a Total back up system.
>
> Just a thought is your house have a UPS system..?

Yes. Several hours worth.

> If not shut up..

Et tu Brutus.

no one@noone.cnn

On 10 Dec 2007 06:36:15 +1300, Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 01:08:31 +1300, no one wrote:
>
>> In Kapiti the phones go down when their is a power outage..

>Then there is something wrong in the exchange.
>
>Exchanges are *supposed* to have extremely large batteries that run the
>*entire* telephone system.
>
>The telephone system is supposed to stay usable in the event of a power
>outage.

Yes Telecsum no battery maintenance

peterwn

On Dec 10, 6:36 am, Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 01:08:31 +1300, no one wrote:
> > In Kapiti the phones go down when their is a power outage..

> Then there is something wrong in the exchange.
>
> Exchanges are *supposed* to have extremely large batteries that run the
> *entire* telephone system.
>
> The telephone system is supposed to stay usable in the event of a power
> outage.

That applied in the days of exchanges with copper pairs to each
customer. If there is any intervening equipment which requires power
that cannot be dragged out of the pairs, there would seem to be little
tolerance to power failures. Cellular sites would not have too much
in the way of backup power either.

Jonathan Walker

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 16:27:46 -0800, peterwn wrote:

> That applied in the days of exchanges with copper pairs to each
> customer. If there is any intervening equipment which requires power
> that cannot be dragged out of the pairs, there would seem to be little
> tolerance to power failures. Cellular sites would not have too much
> in the way of backup power either.

Just another good reason why nobody should rely on cellphones.

--
Jonathan Walker

Jonathan Walker

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 05:38:31 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> .. and IIRC, telecom are going to pull the plug on batteries in exchanges
> by (guessing ) about 2011, aren't they ? No more phone callls when the
> power is off ?

So... in a serious emergency no only will the power be off and no water
available, but none of the phones will work. due to Telecom having
deliberately removed the batteries powering the telephone system.

--
Jonathan Walker

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Dec 10, 6:36 am, Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 01:08:31 +1300, no one wrote:
>> > In Kapiti the phones go down when their is a power outage..

>> Then there is something wrong in the exchange.
>>
>> Exchanges are *supposed* to have extremely large batteries that run the
>> *entire* telephone system.
>>
>> The telephone system is supposed to stay usable in the event of a power
>> outage.

>That applied in the days of exchanges with copper pairs to each
>customer. If there is any intervening equipment which requires power
>that cannot be dragged out of the pairs, there would seem to be little
>tolerance to power failures. Cellular sites would not have too much
>in the way of backup power either.

... and IIRC, telecom are going to pull the plug on batteries in exchanges
by (guessing ) about 2011, aren't they ? No more phone callls when the
power is off ?

Richard

Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> ... and IIRC, telecom are going to pull the plug on batteries in exchanges
> by (guessing ) about 2011, aren't they ? No more phone callls when the
> power is off ?

No, they will have the phone delivered to you via a non copper medium
by then, so the customer will have to power their equipment. What
provisions are made for the fiber gear between the house and the
existing exchange, I dont know, but I know that with fios in the the
states you have a limited runtime battery in the telco's gear in your
house, any longer and you need to power it yourself.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <475cdc31$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>
>> ... and IIRC, telecom are going to pull the plug on batteries in exchanges
>> by (guessing ) about 2011, aren't they ? No more phone callls when the
>> power is off ?

> No, they will have the phone delivered to you via a non copper medium
>by then,

<snort> ... yeah, right. I am betting they'll still have copper to us.

> so the customer will have to power their equipment. What
>provisions are made for the fiber gear between the house and the
>existing exchange, I dont know, but I know that with fios in the the
>states you have a limited runtime battery in the telco's gear in your
>house, any longer and you need to power it yourself.

I'm sure they know what they expect 'customers' to do. I'll also bet that
many/most won't be bothered to upgrade something that telecom broke. I
suspect that telecom satisfaction levels will plummet to new lows ...
assuming that is possible of course.

Bugalugs

Richard wrote:
> Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>
>> ... and IIRC, telecom are going to pull the plug on batteries in
>> exchanges by (guessing ) about 2011, aren't they ? No more phone
>> callls when the power is off ?

> No, they will have the phone delivered to you via a non copper medium
> by then, so the customer will have to power their equipment. What
> provisions are made for the fiber gear between the house and the
> existing exchange, I dont know, but I know that with fios in the the
> states you have a limited runtime battery in the telco's gear in your
> house, any longer and you need to power it yourself.

Further details here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/4178345a28.html

Richard

Bruce Sinclair wrote:

>> No, they will have the phone delivered to you via a non copper medium
>> by then,

> <snort> ... yeah, right. I am betting they'll still have copper to us.

Oh yeah, like that new subdivision in orewa thats getting the WxC voip
product on telecom wholesaled fiber... yeah lots of copper there.

>> so the customer will have to power their equipment. What
>> provisions are made for the fiber gear between the house and the
>> existing exchange, I dont know, but I know that with fios in the the
>> states you have a limited runtime battery in the telco's gear in your
>> house, any longer and you need to power it yourself.

> I'm sure they know what they expect 'customers' to do. I'll also bet that
> many/most won't be bothered to upgrade something that telecom broke. I
> suspect that telecom satisfaction levels will plummet to new lows ...
> assuming that is possible of course.

Most people are very satisfied with the reliability of their landline.
Infact I think you would be hard pressed to find people which have had
outages on it which were beyond telecoms control (well, if their copper
wasnt so decrepid the flooding wouldnt have gotten into it) - whereas
with internet everyone has loads of outages, so I think you are right
that unless the internet industry learns from the telco industry about
uptime that there will be a lot more outages, but if that affects
customers satisfation, I dont know since most people dont use their
phone 24/7 to notice any small outages.