Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Running with NO AV in Vista

Running with NO AV in Vista

Mickey Mouse

After a few months running Vista, and now having built a new system with
Vista Ultimate, I have decided NOT to install any AV packages.

Aside from the advantage of not having some of the notoriously resource
hungry and performance degrading commercial packages with RTM's hogging the
system, I am confident with the security settings within Vista (and
associated packages) in combination with educated common sense, and it has
become apparent that the only encounters I seem to have with viruses or
malware come from when I deliberately download suspect files onto my
computer to test that the AV packages are actually doing something.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <fjd0j5$ut$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mickey Mouse did write:

> After a few months running Vista, and now having built a new system with
> Vista Ultimate, I have decided NOT to install any AV packages.

You're a fool.

Mickey Mouse

news:fjd550$jrm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <fjd0j5$ut$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mickey Mouse did write:
>
>> After a few months running Vista, and now having built a new system with
>> Vista Ultimate, I have decided NOT to install any AV packages.

> You're a fool.

Practical experience proves otherwise. FUD has no answer for reality.

E. Scrooge

news:fjd550$jrm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <fjd0j5$ut$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mickey Mouse did write:
>
>> After a few months running Vista, and now having built a new system with
>> Vista Ultimate, I have decided NOT to install any AV packages.

> You're a fool.

It's not your problem, fool.

E. Scrooge

Biggles^

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 16:06:55 +1300, Mickey Mouse wrote:

> After a few months running Vista, and now having built a new system with
> Vista Ultimate, I have decided NOT to install any AV packages.

pretty bold move ....

Biggles

Mickey Mouse

"Biggles^" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fjdk0g$dja$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 16:06:55 +1300, Mickey Mouse wrote:
>
>> After a few months running Vista, and now having built a new system with
>> Vista Ultimate, I have decided NOT to install any AV packages.
>>

> pretty bold move ....

Let's look at the 2 primary attack vectors...

Email: By actually being someone who doesn't read each and every email
including spam and clicking on links or blindly running attachments, the
risk of an infection is virtually eliminated. For those using the now
superseded Outlook Express, disabling the Preview Pane would be a
recommended action, however in Vista, Windows Mail and now Windows Live Mail
feature built-in phishing and spam protection to bin the majority of suspect
material (that is, if it first makes it past Brightmail on the ISP's
server), and automatically disable previews in the Junk folder.

Web: Accessed from behind a firewalled router with no pin-holing of ports,
with the system firewall running and mostly with Firefox running Noscript
and Adblock, or occasionally Internet Explorer 7 in Protected Mode. With no
open ports for worms to propagate, maliciously crafted websites need to be
able to surreptitiously install a program or run a script, which is not
going to happen.

Combined with system functionality such as UAC, Windows Defender, ASLR and
the vastly improved architectural security in the design of Vista, a
regularly updated Vista system with an informed and responsible user
exercising sound judgment and utilising common sense at the controls has a
negligible chance of being infected by virus or malware.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <fjd0j5$ut$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mickey Mouse did write:
>
>>After a few months running Vista, and now having built a new system with
>>Vista Ultimate, I have decided NOT to install any AV packages.

> You're a fool.

So are you sometimes Lawrence. I have to agree with Mr Michael Mouse
partly on this one. AV software (in my case Nortons) just kills Vista
on my laptop dead. I removed Nortons, and suddenly Vista is almost
workable. I've downloaded a heap of software to Vista, and its inbuilt
security, despite the inane prompting, seems to have improved. Having
said that I don't think I'd prefer it over openSUSE for keeping my
online work secure.

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
"Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
or not they wanted all these wars"...

Jonathan Walker

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 16:06:55 +1300, Mickey Mouse wrote:

> After a few months running Vista, and now having built a new system with
> Vista Ultimate, I have decided NOT to install any AV packages.

<sniggaaaaar!>

Good luck - you'll need it.

--
Jonathan Walker

Donchano

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 21:59:35 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
<(E-Mail Removed)> magnanimously proffered:

>Hi there,
>
>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In article <fjd0j5$ut$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mickey Mouse did write:
>>
>>>After a few months running Vista, and now having built a new system with
>>>Vista Ultimate, I have decided NOT to install any AV packages.

>> You're a fool.

>So are you sometimes Lawrence. I have to agree with Mr Michael Mouse
>partly on this one. AV software (in my case Nortons) just kills Vista
>on my laptop dead. I removed Nortons, and suddenly Vista is almost
>workable.

Just a suggestion, but could your problem have been Nortons? Have you
tried something like Kaspersky Anti-Virus (KAV) instead?

Richard

Donchano wrote:

> Just a suggestion, but could your problem have been Nortons? Have you
> tried something like Kaspersky Anti-Virus (KAV) instead?

I am amazed that so many computer manufacturers ship their computers
with that festering piece of **** installed on it as a trial.

Running,Running! audit2 Firefox 1 02-01-2008 09:27 PM
Running into MTU issues with VPN running on Cisco 7206VXR amit1017 Cisco 1 10-18-2007 01:03 PM
modify a long-running python script while it is running? Benjamin Rutt Python 2 12-20-2005 01:42 PM
I'm trying to network a deasktop running 98SE and a laptop running XP. Marc Computer Support 8 11-19-2003 03:01 AM

Advertisments