Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Autopatcher and alternative

Autopatcher and alternative

Nighthawk

Not that I have XP, still running 98SE but was curious to know if
anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
new updater called APUP which you can download here:
http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/in...p?showtopic=89

Also there is a German programme that does a similar thing here:
http://www.heise-security.co.uk/foru...orum_id=108277

Mutlley

Nighthawk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Not that I have XP, still running 98SE but was curious to know if
>anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
>new updater called APUP which you can download here:
>http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/in...p?showtopic=89
>
>Also there is a German programme that does a similar thing here:
>http://www.heise-security.co.uk/foru...orum_id=108277

Wonder how long before M$ tries to close it down like Autopatcher..

Puddle

Nighthawk wrote:
> Not that I have XP, still running 98SE but was curious to know if
> anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
> new updater called APUP which you can download here:
> http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/in...p?showtopic=89
>
> Also there is a German programme that does a similar thing here:
> http://www.heise-security.co.uk/foru...orum_id=108277

I had a look at it, was interesting to see Microsoft ordered the closure
of that project not surprising really.

I installed Windows 98SE a few days ago after having used win 2000
professional and XP since they were released. It was strange going back
to Windows 98, I installed it just because I felt like playing some of
my older games that haven't been touched in ages. It took a long time
to install - windows 98se doesn't like machines with over a gig of
memory, it just reboots all the time, the work around from microsoft is
to tell windows not to use all the memory. Once I finally got it
working, I couldn't believe how fast it was compared to XP... just
things like exploring a network drive, everything appears almost
instantly. Of course I also remember all the problems of 99SE freezing
and crashing etc so wouldn't go back to it but it was fast...or still is .

blanking

"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nighthawk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Not that I have XP, still running 98SE but was curious to know if
>>anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
>>new updater called APUP which you can download here:
>>http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/in...p?showtopic=89
>>
>>Also there is a German programme that does a similar thing here:
>>http://www.heise-security.co.uk/foru...orum_id=108277
>>

> Wonder how long before M$ tries to close it down like Autopatcher..

They already did this in august so this link comes way too late.

Puddle

blanking wrote:
> "Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Nighthawk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Not that I have XP, still running 98SE but was curious to know if
>>> anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
>>> new updater called APUP which you can download here:
>>> http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/in...p?showtopic=89
>>>
>>> Also there is a German programme that does a similar thing here:
>>> http://www.heise-security.co.uk/foru...orum_id=108277
>>>

>> Wonder how long before M$ tries to close it down like Autopatcher..

> They already did this in august so this link comes way too late.

This is someone that has continued on the project (in the forums), and
it still works - for how long who knows .

Mutlley

Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nighthawk wrote:
>> Not that I have XP, still running 98SE but was curious to know if
>> anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
>> new updater called APUP which you can download here:
>> http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/in...p?showtopic=89
>>
>> Also there is a German programme that does a similar thing here:
>> http://www.heise-security.co.uk/foru...orum_id=108277
>>

>I had a look at it, was interesting to see Microsoft ordered the closure
>of that project not surprising really.
>
>I installed Windows 98SE a few days ago after having used win 2000
>professional and XP since they were released. It was strange going back
>to Windows 98, I installed it just because I felt like playing some of
>my older games that haven't been touched in ages. It took a long time
>to install - windows 98se doesn't like machines with over a gig of
>memory, it just reboots all the time, the work around from microsoft is
>to tell windows not to use all the memory. Once I finally got it
>working, I couldn't believe how fast it was compared to XP... just
>things like exploring a network drive, everything appears almost
>instantly. Of course I also remember all the problems of 99SE freezing
>and crashing etc so wouldn't go back to it but it was fast...or still is .

I still use a old Compaq 486 with Win98se on it as a email server at
home. Goes for months without needing to be restarted..

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Nighthawk wrote:

> ... curious to know if
> anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
> new updater called APUP ...

Funny how people can cheerfully condone the egregious violation of
Microsoft's Intellectual Property Rights in such a cavalier fashion. Have
you no concern for Microsoft's feelings, people?

Nighthawk

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:30:17 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Nighthawk wrote:
>
>> ... curious to know if
>> anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
>> new updater called APUP ...

>Funny how people can cheerfully condone the egregious violation of
>Microsoft's Intellectual Property Rights in such a cavalier fashion. Have
>you no concern for Microsoft's feelings, people?

Off course we have - as much as you!

Nighthawk

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:14:58 +1300, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Nighthawk wrote:
>> Not that I have XP, still running 98SE but was curious to know if
>> anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
>> new updater called APUP which you can download here:
>> http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/in...p?showtopic=89
>>
>> Also there is a German programme that does a similar thing here:
>> http://www.heise-security.co.uk/foru...orum_id=108277
>>

>I had a look at it, was interesting to see Microsoft ordered the closure
>of that project not surprising really.
>
>I installed Windows 98SE a few days ago after having used win 2000
>professional and XP since they were released. It was strange going back
>to Windows 98, I installed it just because I felt like playing some of
>my older games that haven't been touched in ages. It took a long time
>to install - windows 98se doesn't like machines with over a gig of
>memory, it just reboots all the time, the work around from microsoft is
>to tell windows not to use all the memory. Once I finally got it
>working, I couldn't believe how fast it was compared to XP... just
>things like exploring a network drive, everything appears almost
>instantly. Of course I also remember all the problems of 99SE freezing
>and crashing etc so wouldn't go back to it but it was fast...or still is .

Perhaps you might be interested in this:
http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

It includes some tweaks including better memory handling. I installed
mine with 98Lite which makes it faster and more stable.

Nighthawk

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:30:42 +1300, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:

>"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Nighthawk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Not that I have XP, still running 98SE but was curious to know if
>>>anyone is following what they are doing at Autopatcher? There is a
>>>new updater called APUP which you can download here:
>>>http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/in...p?showtopic=89
>>>
>>>Also there is a German programme that does a similar thing here:
>>>http://www.heise-security.co.uk/foru...orum_id=108277
>>>

>> Wonder how long before M$ tries to close it down like Autopatcher..

>They already did this in august so this link comes way too late.

I'm downloading it now.