Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Other people's wireless

Other people's wireless

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Here's the scenario: you discover that your neighbours are running unsecured
wireless networks. Is it moral to bring the issue to their attention by
securing their networks for them <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=883>?

I don't know what the law is in NZ, but it seems to me that the airspace
inside my house is my property. If somebody is transmitting radio waves
into that airspace, surely any use I make of those waves is their fault?

Allistar

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Here's the scenario: you discover that your neighbours are running
> unsecured wireless networks. Is it moral to bring the issue to their
> attention by securing their networks for them
> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=883>?
>
> I don't know what the law is in NZ, but it seems to me that the airspace
> inside my house is my property. If somebody is transmitting radio waves
> into that airspace, surely any use I make of those waves is their fault?

Yes. But how will you use their wireless connection without transmitting
waves onto their property in the process?

[Hopefully this post doesn't appear twice, apologies if it does]
--
A.

Robert Cooze

Allistar wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Here's the scenario: you discover that your neighbours are running
>> unsecured wireless networks. Is it moral to bring the issue to their
>> attention by securing their networks for them
>> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=883>?
>>
>> I don't know what the law is in NZ, but it seems to me that the airspace
>> inside my house is my property. If somebody is transmitting radio waves
>> into that airspace, surely any use I make of those waves is their fault?

> Yes. But how will you use their wireless connection without transmitting
> waves onto their property in the process?
>
> [Hopefully this post doesn't appear twice, apologies if it does]

I think the way NZ law has been written is you cant tell em as that
means you have had to hacked there system

whoisthis

In article <fi3dlo$amt$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

> Here's the scenario: you discover that your neighbours are running unsecured
> wireless networks. Is it moral to bring the issue to their attention by
> securing their networks for them <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=883>?
>
> I don't know what the law is in NZ, but it seems to me that the airspace
> inside my house is my property. If somebody is transmitting radio waves
> into that airspace, surely any use I make of those waves is their fault?

why is it people always try to use flimsy bullshit to justify their
actions.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar did
write:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> I don't know what the law is in NZ, but it seems to me that the airspace
>> inside my house is my property. If somebody is transmitting radio waves
>> into that airspace, surely any use I make of those waves is their fault?

> Yes. But how will you use their wireless connection without transmitting
> waves onto their property in the process?

Good point.

Gordon

On 2007-11-22, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> Here's the scenario: you discover that your neighbours are running unsecured
> wireless networks. Is it moral to bring the issue to their attention by
> securing their networks for them <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=883>?
>
> I don't know what the law is in NZ, but it seems to me that the airspace
> inside my house is my property. If somebody is transmitting radio waves
> into that airspace, surely any use I make of those waves is their fault?

As other posters have hinted, you may receive only, but you may not act upon
it. ( And yet we have advertising on TV.)

If you are concerned then just walk over and say, Have you thought about
securing your wireless network?

eyes

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Here's the scenario: you discover that your neighbours are running unsecured
> wireless networks. Is it moral to bring the issue to their attention by
> securing their networks for them <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=883>?

Depends what you mean by unsecured really... I purposefully run a
wireless network with no encryption and DHCP turned on. However, it is
not unsecured! It is all firewalled off and running on its own IP range
(gotta love DD-WRT), so I have no worries with my own network.

Why do you ask? Because I want my neighbours to be able to connect if
they need it!

Granted, few people do this, and most likely an AP SSID of
"DLINK_WIRELESS" on channel 6 is unlikely to have been planned or
thought out in any way...

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar did
> write:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know what the law is in NZ, but it seems to me that the airspace
>>> inside my house is my property. If somebody is transmitting radio waves
>>> into that airspace, surely any use I make of those waves is their fault?

>> Yes. But how will you use their wireless connection without transmitting
>> waves onto their property in the process?

> Good point.

They are soliciting those replys by having a network that responds to a
request being sent for "ANY" network and having that network setup in a
manner that allows for anyone to connect to it.

If they wanted it to not be used, then they would not have it
"broadcasting ssid" and they would have some access controls on it.

whoisthis

In article <47478ee8$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar did
> > write:

> >> Yes. But how will you use their wireless connection without transmitting
> >> waves onto their property in the process?

> > Good point.

> They are soliciting those replys by having a network that responds to a
> request being sent for "ANY" network and having that network setup in a
> manner that allows for anyone to connect to it.
>
> If they wanted it to not be used, then they would not have it
> "broadcasting ssid" and they would have some access controls on it.

Yeah, just like people who don't lock their doors and windows are
inviting burlars.

Richard

whoisthis wrote:

>> If they wanted it to not be used, then they would not have it
>> "broadcasting ssid" and they would have some access controls on it.

> Yeah, just like people who don't lock their doors and windows are
> inviting burlars.

No, not at all, people dont often invite people into their house to take
stuff, but allowing other people to use your internet connection is very
common.