Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: Total newbie: ASP.NET or Coldfusion ?

Re: Total newbie: ASP.NET or Coldfusion ?

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

..NET is vastly more powerful than anyhting else on the market, but its not
the easiest to pick up for newbies.

Cold Fusion is not a greatly required skill but its relatively easy to
learn.............

A better option for a beginner would be PHP, which is a very good scripting
language and is very popular. It would teach you the basics of web
scripting, DB's etc and still allow you to learn about object programming
when you get better at it. Then you can migrate to asp.NET as the langauge
syntax in PHP is quite C/Perl like, so its relatively like C# syntax wise in
some respects

--
Regards

John Timney (Microsoft ASP.NET MVP)
<shameless_author_plug>
ISBN:1-861007-91-4
Professional Windows Forms
ISBN: 1861005547
Professional JSP 2nd Edition
ISBN: 1861004958
Professional JSP
ISBN: 1861003625
Beginning JSP Web Development
ISBN: 1861002092
</shameless_author_plug>

"Yasso Picasso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings,
>
> Will anyone please give me an HONEST answer to the question of whether
> I should study ASP.NET or Coldfusion? Based on the fact that I'm a
> total newbie to either. I just wanna start with databases.
>
> But I'm already a web designer, and have used Macromedia products like
> Fireworks, Flash, and Dreamweaver for years already. And I just want
> to start getting myself into databases to increase my skills and also
> explore this field. I am a fan of Macromedia, but this does not mean
> that I will just blindly choose to go for Coldfusion. A friend of mine
> has recommended ASP.NET, and not Coldfusion. But I want to hear other
> opinions. But please, make your answer very honest, unbiased in a
> romanticist way...just based on facts and honest, straightforward
> comparison.
>
> My question is not only concered with ease of use or speed only, for
> instance. I actually want to include the demand for professionals in
> both, the market share of both, what kind of companies require either
> and why, is the integration with other Macromedia products like Flash,
> Fireworks, and Dreamweaver (which I already know) worth the decision
> of going for Coldfusion rather than ASP.NET even if Coldfusion falls
> short in a few things, many other related questions too. I would
> appreciate a smart and convincing and to-the-point answer.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Yasso
>
> P.S. If this is not the right newsgroup to post, please direct me to
> the right one and sorry for the inconvenience.

Yasso Picasso

Hey everyone, thank you very much for all the advice and bits of useful
information. I think I'm getting the grasp on this, I mean the way I
should follow. I think I should study general programming along with
general database design (if you know of any material available to study
this, please tell me), along with SQL. Then take this knowledge to
ASP.NET, VB, and .NET Framework. Not an easy process at all, I'm sure,
but I guess it all starts with one step and determination.

Questions that still occupy my mind are: any resources to start studying
general ideas of database design plus any general programming skills
that will help me specifically in database design? And what is the
difference between SQL and MySQL, if there is any? Also does it make a
difference when I see courses for "SQL 2000"? Is that an old version or
something?

Thanks again.