Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Hot CDs

Reply
Thread Tools

Hot CDs

 
 
pseudo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2007
Ok, this is probably a really dumb question, but it's the kind of thing I
can lie awake about, convinced I've damaged something.

I've just taken a bunch of CDs out of my car, where they've been sitting
all day, and they are toasty warm... is it okay to bang them straight into
the laptop to use?

I don't know much about hardware, and the only things I've ever associated
heat issues with are hardware components, but it seems it could be the
kind of thing that could possibly affect something.

Cheers
Pseudo
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , pseudo did
write:

> I've just taken a bunch of CDs out of my car, where they've been sitting
> all day, and they are toasty warm... is it okay to bang them straight into
> the laptop to use?


I'm sure your laptop will thank you for it. Should make a change. After all,
how would you like cold objects shoved into your bodily orifices on a
regular basis?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
pseudo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2007
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:41:53 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>> I've just taken a bunch of CDs out of my car, where they've been sitting
>> all day, and they are toasty warm... is it okay to bang them straight into
>> the laptop to use?

>
> I'm sure your laptop will thank you for it. Should make a change. After all,
> how would you like cold objects shoved into your bodily orifices on a
> regular basis?


ooo don't make me consider the lappy's feelings - I have been bumbling
around different linux distros for the last year, and I'm pretty certain
I've done some nasty stuff somewhere along the line. If I have to stop
and think about it, I'd be too guilty to boot up again. Maybe I should
offer it some ice cream as an apology (I'm sure the optical whatsit in the
disk drive will love that, after the hot day we've had!)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan Walker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2007
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:40:42 +1300, pseudo wrote:

> Ok, this is probably a really dumb question, but it's the kind of thing I
> can lie awake about, convinced I've damaged something.
>
> I've just taken a bunch of CDs out of my car, where they've been sitting
> all day, and they are toasty warm... is it okay to bang them straight into
> the laptop to use?
>
> I don't know much about hardware, and the only things I've ever associated
> heat issues with are hardware components, but it seems it could be the
> kind of thing that could possibly affect something.
>
> Cheers
> Pseudo


Heat and CDs are not a good combination. When reading the CD the drive
shines a laser onto the CD. That laser generates heat on the disc. I would
suggest not storing CDs in a location where the heat will rise
substantially above international standard room temperature.

I would suggest that if the disc is left for a prolonged period of time in
an environment that is know to reduce the life of a CD (and even more so
a CDR or CDRW) the disc should be permitted to return to a normal
temperature before reading it with a heat-generating laser. )

I think that you are right to be concerned about CDs and heat.

Just my 10 cents worth. )


--
Jonathan Walker

"The IT industry landscape is littered with the dead
dreams of people who once trusted Microsoft."
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jonathan Walker did write:

> Heat and CDs are not a good combination. When reading the CD the drive
> shines a laser onto the CD. That laser generates heat on the disc.


Are you suggesting it's bad to shine a laser on the disc?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan Walker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2007
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:02:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>> Heat and CDs are not a good combination. When reading the CD the drive
>> shines a laser onto the CD. That laser generates heat on the disc.

>
> Are you suggesting it's bad to shine a laser on the disc?


I'm suggesting that a very bright light is bad for any dye. I'm also
suggesting that heat and plastic is also a bad combination.


--
Jonathan Walker

"The IT industry landscape is littered with the dead
dreams of people who once trusted Microsoft."
 
Reply With Quote
 
geoff
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2007
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , pseudo
> did write:
>
>> I've just taken a bunch of CDs out of my car, where they've been
>> sitting all day, and they are toasty warm... is it okay to bang them
>> straight into the laptop to use?

>
> I'm sure your laptop will thank you for it. Should make a change.
> After all, how would you like cold objects shoved into your bodily
> orifices on a regular basis?
>
>


Your laptop will cope with the CDs just fine if you run Linux.

geoff



 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-22-2007
In article <47440d89$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jonathan Walker did write:

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:02:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>>> Heat and CDs are not a good combination. When reading the CD the drive
>>> shines a laser onto the CD. That laser generates heat on the disc.

>>
>> Are you suggesting it's bad to shine a laser on the disc?

>
> I'm suggesting that a very bright light is bad for any dye.


So what do you think will happen to the discs in normal use?

> I'm also suggesting that heat and plastic is also a bad combination.


You said that already.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan Walker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-22-2007
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 19:09:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Are you suggesting it's bad to shine a laser on the disc?

>>
>> I'm suggesting that a very bright light is bad for any dye.

>
> So what do you think will happen to the discs in normal use?


Normal wear and tear.

It is a given that optical discs do not last forever.

What is it that degrades writeable discs?


--
Jonathan Walker

"The IT industry landscape is littered with the dead
dreams of people who once trusted Microsoft."
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-22-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jonathan Walker did write:

> What is it that degrades writeable discs?


The same thing that degrades read-only ones--the atmosphere.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments