Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Real Player/Helix Plug-in for Kubuntu

Real Player/Helix Plug-in for Kubuntu

Lodi

Hi all...Using Ubuntu Gutsy with the Kubuntu Desktop package.

Am wanting to listen to some of the Heineken Cup games in real-time. My
browser (Opera 9.24) says I need the Real Player plug-in.

I'm fully aware of the horror stories associated with Real Player from my
MS days but has anyone any experience using Real Player under Linux.

https://player.helixcommunity.org/2005/downloads/

And what's this "Helix Player". Anyone tried using this to play Real
media (although the FAQ says not possible)

https://player.helixcommunity.org/20...ixrealfaq.html

Any advice appreciated.

Regards
Lodi

peter

Lodi wrote:
> Hi all...Using Ubuntu Gutsy with the Kubuntu Desktop package.
> Am wanting to listen to some of the Heineken Cup games in real-time. My
> browser (Opera 9.24) says I need the Real Player plug-in.

I haven't tried it, but the ubuntuguide says they install automatically, or
you can install manually
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:G...owser_Plug-ins

For Real player plug-in (automatically installs helix-player):
sudo apt-get install mozilla-helix-player

HTH

Peter

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <fhl20t$eb4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lodi did write:

> Am wanting to listen to some of the Heineken Cup games in real-time. My
> browser (Opera 9.24) says I need the Real Player plug-in.

Is this just audio? Is it streamed via the Icecast protocol? Because for
example when I want to listen to George FM, I find myself looking at this
link: <http://media.georgefm.co.nz/playlist/georgefm128.m3u>. When I
download the file, it looks like this:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,GeorgeFM Live!
http://60.234.56.35:8002

So if I type

mplayer http://60.234.56.35:8002

then it starts playing.

Kubuntu and windows xp time won't stay Uplink Computer Information 2 08-14-2006 09:32 PM
Knode Kubuntu and Xface Shane NZ Computing 0 03-18-2006 07:02 PM
kubuntu John Jay Smith Computer Support 11 02-17-2006 09:58 PM
kubuntu - k3b Andrew NZ Computing 2 02-14-2006 11:52 PM
Are there any Kubuntu Live CDs around? GraB NZ Computing 15 09-29-2005 10:31 AM

Advertisments