Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Geforce 8800GT 512MB

Geforce 8800GT 512MB

Bobs

Very impressive card, pretty much beats anything on the market and has a
mid-end price (450 to 500 nz dollars). Problem being it's a near paper
release as there only seems to be about a dozen in auckland

Gordon

On 2007-11-16, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Very impressive card, pretty much beats anything on the market and has a
> mid-end price (450 to 500 nz dollars). Problem being it's a near paper
> release as there only seems to be about a dozen in auckland

Tell us Bobs, how do to arrive at the conclusion that there appears to be
only about a dozen in Auckland? Also why is it a problem?

Bobs, are you okay

thingy

Bobs wrote:
> Very impressive card, pretty much beats anything on the market and has a
> mid-end price (450 to 500 nz dollars). Problem being it's a near paper
> release as there only seems to be about a dozen in auckland

yes it is a sh*te hot card....it is not a paper release IMHO except
maybe in NZ. Lets face it the big US and Euro resellers probably buy
more per month than we sell in NZ in a year so they get priority. It is
just released to rave reviews so "Everyone" is buying them so the supply
cannot match the demand...hence they are $450...expect $400 and probably
$350 after xmas once the supply off 3rd parties ramps up....(nvidia
makes them all at present), and expect Nvidia to replace their top end
with a better card or maybe a card with 2 x 8800GT GPUs on it.........

The thing I like is it also had a dvd decoder builtin instead of forcing
the cpu to do the work.... and a pair at (say) $400 each in SLI mode is
cheaper than a top end card....

regards

thing

Bobs

thingy wrote:
> Bobs wrote:
>> Very impressive card, pretty much beats anything on the market and has
>> a mid-end price (450 to 500 nz dollars). Problem being it's a near
>> paper release as there only seems to be about a dozen in auckland

> yes it is a sh*te hot card....it is not a paper release IMHO except
> maybe in NZ. Lets face it the big US and Euro resellers probably buy
> more per month than we sell in NZ in a year so they get priority. It is
> just released to rave reviews so "Everyone" is buying them so the supply
> cannot match the demand...hence they are $450...expect $400 and probably
> $350 after xmas once the supply off 3rd parties ramps up....(nvidia
> makes them all at present), and expect Nvidia to replace their top end
> with a better card or maybe a card with 2 x 8800GT GPUs on it.......

Hate to think how much heat two 8800GT GPU's would produce...

> The thing I like is it also had a dvd decoder builtin instead of forcing
> the cpu to do the work.... and a pair at (say) $400 each in SLI mode is
> cheaper than a top end card....
>
> regards
>
> thing

thingy

Bobs wrote:

> Hate to think how much heat two 8800GT GPU's would produce...

Twice that of one....

?

There is a 1Gig Ram version of one of these rumoured as well........I am
assuming its being held off as it probably comes close to matching the
best Nvidia has for less money......

regards

thing