Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Asus Eee 701 PC

Asus Eee 701 PC

sam

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Interesting backgrounder on the genesis of the "Jonney Machine"
> <http://members.forbes.com/global/2007/1112/024a.html>. Apparently, getting
> the user interface right was the most time-consuming part of the design.

Interesting market niche being created for similar machines
http://www.electronista.com/articles...loudbook.leak/
DVI output, 30GB HD, Via C7, Wal-mart.

Allistar

<http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/475780dc00f233ee273fc0a87f3306e1/Product/View/XC5809>
>> now shows a whole lot of stores, so they've obviously got a new shipment
>> in.

> I had a play (again) with one today at DS lower hutt.
>
> Still cool, but until they get sensible about pricing them here, I am
> putting it on hold.

I've not had a chance to have a look at our local DS store yet - it seems
from images on the web that the actual usable display area is quite smaller
than the size of the flip up screen - am I right? It does seem like a very
small display, although I'm sure you could convince X to pan over a larger
virtual display size.
--
A.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar did
write:

> ... it seems
> from images on the web that the actual usable display area is quite
> smaller than the size of the flip up screen - am I right?

Correct. The screen viewable area is 7" diagonally (or 18 cm--just checked
with a measuring tape). There are large-looking speaker grilles on the
sides, though the actual speakers are quite tiny. At the top is a webcam.

BTMO

"Sue Bilstein" <> wrote

>>Damn - price sucks in NZ - 599 vs 499 in Aus.
>>
>>I am going to wait a while and see what happens.
>>

> Is that $NZ499 in Aus? $AU499 is $NZ563 at the TT rate.

Oops! Missed this one, sorry.

No, I meant $AU499 in Aus, and $NZ599 in NZ.

On today's rate, that is...about $540 NZ

So they are about 10% higher in real numbers in NZ, and of course if I buy
one in Aus next time I am there, I get it duty and GST free...

Matty F

On Dec 12, 2:07 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar did
> write:
>
> > ... it seems
> > from images on the web that the actual usable display area is quite
> > smaller than the size of the flip up screen - am I right?

> Correct. The screen viewable area is 7" diagonally (or 18 cm--just checked
> with a measuring tape). There are large-looking speaker grilles on the
> sides, though the actual speakers are quite tiny. At the top is a webcam.

The screen image is quite sharp and looks OK to use.
A friend has borrowed an asus eee and is trying to connect to the Net
via a dialup line, but gets the message "failed to initialize modem".
Do you know the reason for that? I doubt that Dick Smith will know the
answer.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Matty
F did write:

> A friend has borrowed an asus eee and is trying to connect to the Net
> via a dialup line, but gets the message "failed to initialize modem".

How did your friend connect to a modem? The modem port is blocked off.

Matty F

On Dec 13, 5:44 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, Matty
> F did write:
>
> > A friend has borrowed an asus eee and is trying to connect to the Net
> > via a dialup line, but gets the message "failed to initialize modem".

> How did your friend connect to a modem? The modem port is blocked off.

There was a rubber plug which he removed. The manual says that there
is an internal modem.

Richard

Matty F wrote:
> On Dec 13, 5:44 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> In article
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>, Matty
>> F did write:
>>
>>> A friend has borrowed an asus eee and is trying to connect to the Net
>>> via a dialup line, but gets the message "failed to initialize modem".

>> How did your friend connect to a modem? The modem port is blocked off.

> There was a rubber plug which he removed. The manual says that there
> is an internal modem.

Are you sure the blocked off port is not an indication that there is no
modem present? Since the minipci's dont have the plug on them directly
and use the motherboard to provide it, it would be a sensible decision
to just block them off when not fitted.

Matty F

On Dec 13, 9:37 pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Matty F wrote:
> > On Dec 13, 5:44 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> >> In article
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)>, Matty
> >> F did write:

> >> How did your friend connect to a modem? The modem port is blocked off.

> > There was a rubber plug which he removed. The manual says that there
> > is an internal modem.

> Are you sure the blocked off port is not an indication that there is no
> modem present? Since the minipci's dont have the plug on them directly
> and use the motherboard to provide it, it would be a sensible decision
> to just block them off when not fitted.

Lots of sites mention the modem. The specification on the official
site does not.
Wikipedia says : Modem port (non-functional, empty)
I think they just lost a sale.