Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft's latest update screwup

Microsoft's latest update screwup

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In all the previous screwups over automatic updates committed by Microsoft
these last few weeks, some small smug number of people have pointed out
that, if you went through WSUS, you were unaffected.

Well, guess what, Microsoft's latest cockup breaks WSUS
<http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9046 478&intsrc=hm_list>.
What's even more laughable about this is that the mistake is a very
elementary one, an inadvertent SQL injection attack which causes an
application to die with an SQL syntax error.

I mean, really, people, what kind of programmers are you hiring these days?

Cima

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:20:50 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In all the previous screwups over automatic updates committed by Microsoft
>these last few weeks, some small smug number of people have pointed out
>that, if you went through WSUS, you were unaffected.
>
>Well, guess what, Microsoft's latest cockup breaks WSUS
><http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9046 478&intsrc=hm_list>.
>What's even more laughable about this is that the mistake is a very
>elementary one, an inadvertent SQL injection attack which causes an
>application to die with an SQL syntax error.
>
>I mean, really, people, what kind of programmers are you hiring these days?

Seriously, why do you even care?

~misfit~

Cima wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:20:50 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>> In all the previous screwups over automatic updates committed by
>> Microsoft these last few weeks, some small smug number of people
>> have pointed out that, if you went through WSUS, you were unaffected.
>>
>> Well, guess what, Microsoft's latest cockup breaks WSUS
>> <http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9046 478&intsrc=hm_list>.
>> What's even more laughable about this is that the mistake is a very
>> elementary one, an inadvertent SQL injection attack which causes an
>> application to die with an SQL syntax error.
>>
>> I mean, really, people, what kind of programmers are you hiring
>> these days?

> Seriously, why do you even care?

Of course he cares, and passionately too! Without Microsoft bashing he'd
have to get a life, or at least a different hobby. His chosen one is so
easy, no brain challenges, no excercise, just sitting in front of a monitor
searching for more fuel for his passion.

With the medical profession getting more PC and wishy-washy by the day
they're saying that everyone suffers from addiction of one form or another.
There are the obvious ones like drugs and ganbling, then some less obvious
ones like sex and work. However, now virtually anything can be classified as
an addiction and Lawrence is ably demonstrating why this is.
--
TTFN,

Shaun.