Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > newsgroups not valid?

newsgroups not valid?

Geopelia

A notice has just come up on the screen saying some newsgroups may not be
valid or something. Has anyone else got this, or is it just a sort of pop up
spam?

What should I do if it appears again? I just deleted it.

I have aioe, and some Google groups. I'm posting this with aioe.

Geopelia

Mark Robinson

Geopelia wrote:
> A notice has just come up on the screen saying some newsgroups may not be
> valid or something. Has anyone else got this, or is it just a sort of pop up
> spam?
>
> What should I do if it appears again? I just deleted it.
>
> I have aioe, and some Google groups. I'm posting this with aioe.

Please make an exact note of the message.

With luck you may be able to copy-and-paste it into an message to here.

Most likely you are subscribed to newsgroups which don't, or no longer, exist.

If this is the case unsubscribe from such groups to stop the annoying message.

geoff

Geopelia wrote:
> A notice has just come up on the screen saying some newsgroups may
> not be valid or something. Has anyone else got this, or is it just a
> sort of pop up spam?

What screen ? Where ? Are you using a Newsgroup client application of
browsing with a web-browser ?

What is aioe to do with Google Groups ?

*Presumably* either Google Groups (yuk) and aioe do not carry some of the
groups you are looking for.

geoff

Geopelia

"Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> A notice has just come up on the screen saying some newsgroups may not be
>> valid or something. Has anyone else got this, or is it just a sort of pop
>> up spam?
>>
>> What should I do if it appears again? I just deleted it.
>>
>> I have aioe, and some Google groups. I'm posting this with aioe.

> Please make an exact note of the message.
>
> With luck you may be able to copy-and-paste it into an message to here.

I'll do that if it appears again.

> Most likely you are subscribed to newsgroups which don't, or no longer,
> exist.

> If this is the case unsubscribe from such groups to stop the annoying
> message.

That's possible, I'll delete any with no messages.

Thank you.
Geopelia

Mark Robinson

Geopelia wrote:
> "Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...
>> Geopelia wrote:
>>> A notice has just come up on the screen saying some newsgroups may not be
>>> valid or something. Has anyone else got this, or is it just a sort of pop
>>> up spam?
>>>
>>> What should I do if it appears again? I just deleted it.
>>>
>>> I have aioe, and some Google groups. I'm posting this with aioe.

>> Please make an exact note of the message.
>>
>> With luck you may be able to copy-and-paste it into an message to here.

> I'll do that if it appears again.
>> Most likely you are subscribed to newsgroups which don't, or no longer,
>> exist.

>> If this is the case unsubscribe from such groups to stop the annoying
>> message.

> That's possible, I'll delete any with no messages.

Groups with no messages are not the same as groups which don't exist.

Geopelia

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> A notice has just come up on the screen saying some newsgroups may
>> not be valid or something. Has anyone else got this, or is it just a
>> sort of pop up spam?

> What screen ? Where ? Are you using a Newsgroup client application of
> browsing with a web-browser ?

I was looking at nz.general and it suddenly appeared, as far as I remember
it was in the middle of the screen.

> What is aioe to do with Google Groups ?

Nothing, as far as I know. I've got nz.general on aioe, and also in Google
Groups. If one isn't working I can use the other.

> *Presumably* either Google Groups (yuk) and aioe do not carry some of the
> groups you are looking for.
>
> geoff

I wasn't looking for a group when the message appeared. I've noticed though
that recently aioe has a lot of new groups appearing in their "There are new
newsgroups" notice. Most of them are in foreign languages.

I just asked in case it was some kind of spam.

Thank you
Geopelia

~misfit~

Mark Robinson wrote:
> Geopelia wrote:
>> "Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...

>>> Please make an exact note of the message.
>>>
>>> With luck you may be able to copy-and-paste it into an message to
>>> here.

>> I'll do that if it appears again.
>>> Most likely you are subscribed to newsgroups which don't, or no
>>> longer, exist.

>>> If this is the case unsubscribe from such groups to stop the
>>> annoying message.

>> That's possible, I'll delete any with no messages.

> Groups with no messages are not the same as groups which don't exist.

.... and neither is the same as groups which the usenet providor choose to no
longer carry.
--
TTFN,

Shaun.

Crash

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:41:03 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Geopelia wrote:
>>> A notice has just come up on the screen saying some newsgroups may
>>> not be valid or something. Has anyone else got this, or is it just a
>>> sort of pop up spam?

>> What screen ? Where ? Are you using a Newsgroup client application of
>> browsing with a web-browser ?

>I was looking at nz.general and it suddenly appeared, as far as I remember
>it was in the middle of the screen.

What Geoff meant was how were you looking at nz.general at the time -
were you using Google (web browser) or aioe (Outlook Express or Web
browser). Note that IE (Internet Explorer) is a web browser.

>> What is aioe to do with Google Groups ?

>Nothing, as far as I know. I've got nz.general on aioe, and also in Google
>Groups. If one isn't working I can use the other.
>>
>> *Presumably* either Google Groups (yuk) and aioe do not carry some of the
>> groups you are looking for.
>>
>> geoff

>I wasn't looking for a group when the message appeared. I've noticed though
>that recently aioe has a lot of new groups appearing in their "There are new
>newsgroups" notice. Most of them are in foreign languages.
>
>I just asked in case it was some kind of spam.
>
>Thank you
>Geopelia

-----------------
-----------------

Geopelia

"Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:41:03 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> What screen ? Where ? Are you using a Newsgroup client application of
>>> browsing with a web-browser ?

>>I was looking at nz.general and it suddenly appeared, as far as I remember
>>it was in the middle of the screen.

> What Geoff meant was how were you looking at nz.general at the time -
> were you using Google (web browser) or aioe (Outlook Express or Web
> browser). Note that IE (Internet Explorer) is a web browser.

I was looking at nz.general on aioe on Outlook Express.

geoff

Geopelia wrote:
> "Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> I was looking at nz.general on aioe on Outlook Express.

OK, now if you can tell us what the pop-up message actually said, we may be
able to soolve the riddle. But I suspect it was something to the effect
that aeiou no longer caries the newsgroup yo wre looking for.

geoff