Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > where do you report NZ spammers?

where do you report NZ spammers?

Peter Huebner

I keep getting spam, substantial spam of 300k or so, from some outfit of new
age-ey or spirtualist conmen calling themselves Art of Living. Since it
originates in NZ, I wouldn't mind having these guys bitch-slapped by [whoever].

Does anybody happen to know who is actually in charge of enforcing the new spam
legislation?

cheers, -P.

Keith

Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I keep getting spam, substantial spam of 300k or so, from some outfit of new
>age-ey or spirtualist conmen calling themselves Art of Living. Since it
>originates in NZ, I wouldn't mind having these guys bitch-slapped by [whoever].
>
>Does anybody happen to know who is actually in charge of enforcing the new spam
>legislation?
>
>cheers, -P.

Dept of Infernal Affairs
http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.ns...x?OpenDocument

But is the crowd *selling* anything? because the Act prohibits unsolicited *commercail* email

Richard

Keith wrote:

> Dept of Infernal Affairs
> http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.ns...x?OpenDocument
>
> But is the crowd *selling* anything? because the Act prohibits unsolicited *commercail* email

Chances are they are selling salvation of your soul, sounds commercial
to me

canon paora

On Nov 12, 5:02 pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Keith wrote:
>
> > Dept of Infernal Affairs
> >http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.ns...Anti-Spam-Inde...

> > But is the crowd *selling* anything? because the Act prohibits unsolicited *commercail* email

> Chances are they are selling salvation of your soul, sounds commercial
> to me

....sounds bullshit to me.

Craig Whitmore

news:4737d353$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Keith wrote:
>>
>> Dept of Infernal Affairs
>> http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.ns...x?OpenDocument
>>
>> But is the crowd *selling* anything? because the Act prohibits
>> unsolicited *commercail* email

The place to go is http://www.antispam.govt.nz for reporting of spam

Thanks

bok

Keith wrote:
> Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I keep getting spam, substantial spam of 300k or so, from some outfit of new
>> age-ey or spirtualist conmen calling themselves Art of Living. Since it
>> originates in NZ, I wouldn't mind having these guys bitch-slapped by [whoever].
>>
>> Does anybody happen to know who is actually in charge of enforcing the new spam
>> legislation?
>>
>> cheers, -P.
>>

> Dept of Infernal Affairs
> http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.ns...x?OpenDocument
>
> But is the crowd *selling* anything? because the Act prohibits unsolicited *commercail* email

As defined in the Unsolicited Messages Act 2007, if the email simply
promotes a good or service it is classified as an commercial electronic
message for purposes of interpretation of the ACT. Section 6 para (a)
(i) (B) (for example) does not require the service is promoted for
financial gain:

Relevant excerpt:

"6 Meaning of commercial electronic message
For the purposes of this Act, commercial electronic message—
(a)means an electronic message that—
(i)markets or promotes—
(A)goods; or
(B)services; or
(C)land; or
(D)an interest in land; or
(E)a business or investment opportunity; or
(ii)assists or enables a person to obtain dishonestly a financial
advantage or gain from another person; or
(iii)provides a link, or directs a recipient, to a message that does 1
or more of the things listed in subparagraphs (i) and (ii);:

Reference:
htttp://www.legislation.govt.nz/browse_vw.asp?content-set=pal_statutes

Keith

"Craig Whitmore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:4737d353$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Keith wrote:
>>>
>>> Dept of Infernal Affairs
>>> http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.ns...x?OpenDocument
>>>
>>> But is the crowd *selling* anything? because the Act prohibits
>>> unsolicited *commercail* email

>The place to go is http://www.antispam.govt.nz for reporting of spam

Same web site -- different URL

>Thanks

You're welcome

Keith

In article <fh94eg$kl1$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Keith wrote:
> >
> > But is the crowd *selling* anything? because the Act prohibits unsolicited *commercail* email
> >

> As defined in the Unsolicited Messages Act 2007, if the email simply
> promotes a good or service it is classified as an commercial electronic
> message for purposes of interpretation of the ACT. Section 6 para (a)
> (i) (B) (for example) does not require the service is promoted for
> financial gain:

But would something pushing a religous agenda (or political for that
matter) be providing a service? Not to my mind.

Unless you mean service to mean sat down in a pew in front of the
minister.

bok

Keith wrote:
> In article <fh94eg$kl1$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> Keith wrote:
>>> But is the crowd *selling* anything? because the Act prohibits unsolicited *commercail* email
>>>

>> As defined in the Unsolicited Messages Act 2007, if the email simply
>> promotes a good or service it is classified as an commercial electronic
>> message for purposes of interpretation of the ACT. Section 6 para (a)
>> (i) (B) (for example) does not require the service is promoted for
>> financial gain:

> But would something pushing a religous agenda (or political for that
> matter) be providing a service? Not to my mind.

The O/P referred to "spirtualist conmen calling themselves Art of Living"

He probably means this lot: http://artofliving.org.nz/

If not they'll do as an example.

From their web site:

"In New Zealand, the Art of Living Foundation runs practical courses for
individuals on stress management, personal development and Vedic
practices that help you apply ancient wisdom to modern life. We provide
courses for inmates and staff in prisons and community and support
groups to eliminate the negative aspects of trauma and stress and to
return a sense of meaning and belonging to people's lives. We also offer
service projects around the country."

Wouldn't you consider the above to be promoting a range of services? I
would.