Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I knew Actrix was too good to be true...

I knew Actrix was too good to be true...

~misfit~

I was paying for 256/128 but getting FS/128, been that way for about a year.
Still limited to 1GB/day but I could get a fair bit downloaded even after I
was limited to 64/64 and, when I wanted something, I didn't have to wait for
hours. 256 is so slow!

However, as of last week, Actrix has been un-throttling all Cyberjet
customers between 6pm and 8pm. "Free Time". Any that weren't throttled
already don't have that 2 hours of data count towards their cap.

My bad, I had a few downloads lined up and, for two days in a row, seem to
have download close to 2GB between 6pm and 8pm. Obviously someone noticed
and has capped me tightly at 256 for the last two days.

I've just bitten the bullet and put in an order for 2M/128. I'll get more
that way. At 256 it would take most of 12 hours to download my 1GB, just not
a feasible plan for me.

Time to put on the makeup and find a street corner <g>, I need to raise some
funds.
--
TTFN,

Shaun.

Jonathan Walker

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:32:16 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> I've just bitten the bullet and put in an order for 2M/128. I'll get more
> that way. At 256 it would take most of 12 hours to download my 1GB, just not
> a feasible plan for me.

Oh dear. That must be such a limitation - taking a whole 1/2 day only to
download 1gig of "downloads".

If the terms of the contract are that your speed is 5 times dialup speed,
then that is what you should have. Pointless complaining that they had
been giving you more than what you had contracted them to provide you.

--
Jonathan Walker

~misfit~

Jonathan Walker wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:32:16 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> I've just bitten the bullet and put in an order for 2M/128. I'll get
>> more that way. At 256 it would take most of 12 hours to download my
>> 1GB, just not a feasible plan for me.

> Oh dear. That must be such a limitation - taking a whole 1/2 day only
> to download 1gig of "downloads".

Sarcasm! Cool!

Tried the new Crysis demo? (1.8GB for a demo!) Did you get the latest Ubuntu
release?

> If the terms of the contract are that your speed is 5 times dialup
> speed, then that is what you should have. Pointless complaining that
> they had been giving you more than what you had contracted them to
> provide you.

I saw my post as more of an informative one than a complaint. Still, eye of
the beholder and all that. The thing is, I know of several people who were
in the same situation as I was, getting "full speed" while paying for a
lesser speed from Actrix. We'd decided to not discuss it openly here for
fear of ruining a good thing. Now it's gone I was merely informing others,
perhaps hoping for some feedback from them.

Still, I'm on a new install and haven't imported my blocked sender list yet.
So I guess this is goodbye.
--
TTFN,

Shaun.

Jonathan Walker

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:41:20 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

>>> I've just bitten the bullet and put in an order for 2M/128. I'll get
>>> more that way. At 256 it would take most of 12 hours to download my
>>> 1GB, just not a feasible plan for me.

>> Oh dear. That must be such a limitation - taking a whole 1/2 day only
>> to download 1gig of "downloads".

> Sarcasm! Cool!

No - not sarcastic. More like rolling the eyes.

> Tried the new Crysis demo? (1.8GB for a demo!) Did you get the latest
> Ubuntu release?

No. I don't move to a new release merely because it has been released.
Besides, I don't use Ubuntu. If I was to use that flavour I'd be more
likely to use Kubuntu as it has KDE - the better (IMHO) GUI.

>> If the terms of the contract are that your speed is 5 times dialup
>> speed, then that is what you should have. Pointless complaining that
>> they had been giving you more than what you had contracted them to
>> provide you.

> I saw my post as more of an informative one than a complaint. Still, eye
> of the beholder and all that. The thing is, I know of several people who
> were in the same situation as I was, getting "full speed" while paying
> for a lesser speed from Actrix. We'd decided to not discuss it openly
> here for fear of ruining a good thing. Now it's gone I was merely
> informing others, perhaps hoping for some feedback from them.
>
> Still, I'm on a new install and haven't imported my blocked sender list
> yet. So I guess this is goodbye.

I'm curious...

why did you reinstall?

--
Jonathan Walker

~misfit~

Jonathan Walker wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:41:20 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Still, I'm on a new install and haven't imported my blocked sender
>> list yet. So I guess this is goodbye.

Heh! Still haven't got around to importing that list, I dislike working in
the registry.

> I'm curious...
>
> why did you reinstall?

I have a new mobo with a new chipset, XP just BSOD'ed on startup.

I decided to get rid of a bunch of slower machines that I've accumulated
over the last few years on Trademe and build one fast one using some new
parts, some re-used. It was instigated by a friend getting me to do a full
re-build for him, and him giving me his 7800GT PCI-e card in appreciation. I
didn't have a mobo that takes PCI-e cards. <shrug> (I didn't get rid of
/all/ my older machines, just some of them.)
--
TTFN,

Shaun.

Jonathan Walker

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:16:09 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

>> I'm curious...
>>
>> why did you reinstall?

> I have a new mobo with a new chipset, XP just BSOD'ed on startup.

Indeed.

WinNTx is very intolerant of changing the non-peripheral hardware.

)

--
Jonathan Walker

Ross

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was paying for 256/128 but getting FS/128, been that way for about a year.
>Still limited to 1GB/day but I could get a fair bit downloaded even after I
>was limited to 64/64 and, when I wanted something, I didn't have to wait for
>hours. 256 is so slow!
>
>However, as of last week, Actrix has been un-throttling all Cyberjet
>customers between 6pm and 8pm. "Free Time". Any that weren't throttled
>already don't have that 2 hours of data count towards their cap.
>
>My bad, I had a few downloads lined up and, for two days in a row, seem to
>have download close to 2GB between 6pm and 8pm. Obviously someone noticed
>and has capped me tightly at 256 for the last two days.
>
>I've just bitten the bullet and put in an order for 2M/128. I'll get more
>that way. At 256 it would take most of 12 hours to download my 1GB, just not
>a feasible plan for me.
>
>Time to put on the makeup and find a street corner <g>, I need to raise some
>funds.

Ah! So YOU are the one that is slowing down my Actrix connection
between 6 and 8pm!

~misfit~

Ross wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:32:16 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I was paying for 256/128 but getting FS/128, been that way for about
>> a year. Still limited to 1GB/day but I could get a fair bit
>> downloaded even after I was limited to 64/64 and, when I wanted
>> something, I didn't have to wait for hours. 256 is so slow!
>>
>> However, as of last week, Actrix has been un-throttling all Cyberjet
>> customers between 6pm and 8pm. "Free Time". Any that weren't
>> throttled already don't have that 2 hours of data count towards
>> their cap.
>>
>> My bad, I had a few downloads lined up and, for two days in a row,
>> seem to have download close to 2GB between 6pm and 8pm. Obviously
>> someone noticed and has capped me tightly at 256 for the last two
>> days.
>>
>> I've just bitten the bullet and put in an order for 2M/128. I'll get
>> more that way. At 256 it would take most of 12 hours to download my
>> 1GB, just not a feasible plan for me.
>>
>> Time to put on the makeup and find a street corner <g>, I need to
>> raise some funds.

> Ah! So YOU are the one that is slowing down my Actrix connection
> between 6 and 8pm!

LOL, maybe a few days ago. Not any more.
--
TTFN,

Shaun.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

~misfit~ wrote:
> Jonathan Walker wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:32:16 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>>I've just bitten the bullet and put in an order for 2M/128. I'll get
>>>more that way. At 256 it would take most of 12 hours to download my
>>>1GB, just not a feasible plan for me.

>>Oh dear. That must be such a limitation - taking a whole 1/2 day only
>>to download 1gig of "downloads".

> Sarcasm! Cool!

Hehe!

> Tried the new Crysis demo? (1.8GB for a demo!) Did you get the latest Ubuntu
> release?

I'm not gonna mention how long it took me to download the Crysis demo.
Actually, on 2nd thoughts I will....it took an eternity...25 minutes!

Then I installed it on the laptop (8600M GT 256MB DX10) and on the
desktop (7900GS 256MB DX9), and the winner is.....neither! Best I can
do to make it playable is lower it to 1024x768 on the desktop and set
to medium, where its sorta playable. On the laptop I have to drop to
800x600 on medium to get a framerate over 10. D'oh!

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
"Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
or not they wanted all these wars"...

~misfit~

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Jonathan Walker wrote:

>>> Oh dear. That must be such a limitation - taking a whole 1/2 day
>>> only to download 1gig of "downloads".

>> Sarcasm! Cool!

> Hehe!
>
>> Tried the new Crysis demo? (1.8GB for a demo!) Did you get the
>> latest Ubuntu release?

> I'm not gonna mention how long it took me to download the Crysis demo.
> Actually, on 2nd thoughts I will....it took an eternity...25 minutes!

Bastrad! <g>

> Then I installed it on the laptop (8600M GT 256MB DX10) and on the
> desktop (7900GS 256MB DX9), and the winner is.....neither! Best I can
> do to make it playable is lower it to 1024x768 on the desktop and set
> to medium, where its sorta playable. On the laptop I have to drop to
> 800x600 on medium to get a framerate over 10. D'oh!

It sure is a demanding game. One of the few to be optimised for multiple
cores, running physics one one, A.I. on another... As usual it's the gaming
scene that's driving the hardware.

Cheers,
--
Shaun. (Who's finally got around to importing his blocked senders list)

Re: Actrix any good Jerry NZ Computing 12 12-20-2005 12:12 AM
Actrix any good Fred Dagg NZ Computing 0 12-13-2005 02:44 AM
i knew this before... =?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?= ASP .Net 0 11-10-2005 12:33 AM
wok wifi - knew those woks were good for something hippie_nz Computer Support 2 05-30-2005 04:51 PM
OT: And I thought I knew how to waste time Neil MCSE 10 07-27-2004 02:44 AM

Advertisments