Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Computer insurance? Computer game and book collection insurance?

Computer insurance? Computer game and book collection insurance?

Jamie Kahn Genet

Hi, two questions:

A) Are any of you helpful people familiar with a good insurance plan for
a new top of the line Apple 24" iMac? What about a plan that would also
replace the extended AppleCare I'm going to buy? I'm aware that plans
covering damage, loss AS WELL AS service and repair exist, but I
wouldn't know from where. I asked Tower who I used to be with when I was
a full time student, and they said they had nothing like that.

B) I've large book and video game collections. Is there any plan that
would cover these sorts of things? Once again I spoke to Tower and they
said at the low amount (approx. $10,000 for the collections) I want
coverage for, they can only insure video games at the original price,
minus 15% per year. Obviously that's useless for classic games. It
totally misses the point for games now worth MORE than their original
price.

So, anyone know of some decent affordable insurance for these things?

TIA,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Alan

"Jamie Kahn Genet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1i7bn37.1qemuot8uo459N%(E-Mail Removed) k.nz...
> Hi, two questions:
>
> A) Are any of you helpful people familiar with a good insurance plan
> for
> a new top of the line Apple 24" iMac? What about a plan that would
> also
> replace the extended AppleCare I'm going to buy? I'm aware that
> plans
> covering damage, loss AS WELL AS service and repair exist, but I
> wouldn't know from where. I asked Tower who I used to be with when I
> was
> a full time student, and they said they had nothing like that.
>
> B) I've large book and video game collections. Is there any plan
> that
> would cover these sorts of things? Once again I spoke to Tower and
> they
> said at the low amount (approx. $10,000 for the collections) I want
> coverage for, they can only insure video games at the original
> price,
> minus 15% per year. Obviously that's useless for classic games. It
> totally misses the point for games now worth MORE than their
> original
> price.
>
> So, anyone know of some decent affordable insurance for these
> things?
>
> TIA,
> Jamie Kahn Genet
> --
> If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Hi Jamie,

On the latter, my suggestion is that you catalogue the items you want
to insure (perhaps take digital photos of each one - would that be
practical??) including serial numbers or keys etc (to make it as
specific as possible).

List the value that *you* want to insure each item for, then approach
a selection of brokers (much more likely to get you what you want than
going direct - that only works well for 'standard' risks) and see what
they can do for you. They won't charge for seeing what they can do
for you.

Do post back with an outcome!

HTH,

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

shane

Alan did scribble:

> "Jamie Kahn Genet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1i7bn37.1qemuot8uo459N%(E-Mail Removed) k.nz...
>> Hi, two questions:
>>
>> A) Are any of you helpful people familiar with a good insurance plan
>> for
>> a new top of the line Apple 24" iMac? What about a plan that would
>> also
>> replace the extended AppleCare I'm going to buy? I'm aware that
>> plans
>> covering damage, loss AS WELL AS service and repair exist, but I
>> wouldn't know from where. I asked Tower who I used to be with when I
>> was
>> a full time student, and they said they had nothing like that.
>>
>> B) I've large book and video game collections. Is there any plan
>> that
>> would cover these sorts of things? Once again I spoke to Tower and
>> they
>> said at the low amount (approx. $10,000 for the collections) I want
>> coverage for, they can only insure video games at the original
>> price,
>> minus 15% per year. Obviously that's useless for classic games. It
>> totally misses the point for games now worth MORE than their
>> original
>> price.
>>
>> So, anyone know of some decent affordable insurance for these
>> things?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Jamie Kahn Genet
>> --
>> If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

> Hi Jamie,
>
> On the latter, my suggestion is that you catalogue the items you want
> to insure (perhaps take digital photos of each one - would that be
> practical??) including serial numbers or keys etc (to make it as
> specific as possible).
>
> List the value that *you* want to insure each item for, then approach
> a selection of brokers (much more likely to get you what you want than
> going direct - that only works well for 'standard' risks) and see what
> they can do for you. They won't charge for seeing what they can do
> for you.
>
> Do post back with an outcome!
>
> HTH,

Wouldnt replacement insurance factor in that classic games are
difficult/expensive to .. replace?
--
Hardware n: Parts of the computer you can kick

EMB

shane wrote:

> Wouldnt replacement insurance factor in that classic games are
> difficult/expensive to .. replace?

Only if listed and an agreed value settled in advance.

Jamie Kahn Genet

EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> shane wrote:
> >
> > Wouldnt replacement insurance factor in that classic games are
> > difficult/expensive to .. replace?

> Only if listed and an agreed value settled in advance.

Makes sense to me. Far less messy if a there's just a set agreed on
value that I'm simply paid out for if there was a flood, fire, theft or
whatever. But places like Tower and AMP just aren't interested I
keep records of what I have, but I'd hate to have to prove the value of
hundreds of different games and books after they were gone. It's hard
enough finding real world examples of the value of some of these items
right NOW, let alone in the future when they're rarer. And value is such
a subjective thing... *sigh*

Other than a vague idea I should have some protection for my geekier
assets, I am at a bit of a loss how do do so.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Jamie Kahn Genet

Alan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Jamie Kahn Genet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1i7bn37.1qemuot8uo459N%(E-Mail Removed) k.nz...
> > Hi, two questions:
> >
> > A) Are any of you helpful people familiar with a good insurance plan
> > for
> > a new top of the line Apple 24" iMac? What about a plan that would
> > also
> > replace the extended AppleCare I'm going to buy? I'm aware that
> > plans
> > covering damage, loss AS WELL AS service and repair exist, but I
> > wouldn't know from where. I asked Tower who I used to be with when I
> > was
> > a full time student, and they said they had nothing like that.
> >
> > B) I've large book and video game collections. Is there any plan
> > that
> > would cover these sorts of things? Once again I spoke to Tower and
> > they
> > said at the low amount (approx. $10,000 for the collections) I want
> > coverage for, they can only insure video games at the original
> > price,
> > minus 15% per year. Obviously that's useless for classic games. It
> > totally misses the point for games now worth MORE than their
> > original
> > price.
> >
> > So, anyone know of some decent affordable insurance for these
> > things?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Jamie Kahn Genet
> > --
> > If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

> Hi Jamie,
>
> On the latter, my suggestion is that you catalogue the items you want
> to insure (perhaps take digital photos of each one - would that be
> practical??) including serial numbers or keys etc (to make it as
> specific as possible).

I have a database of my books and another of my games. I keep all my
serial numbers stored in two different locations. No photos - but I
suppose that's doable. Might be a good excuse to add them into the
databases...

> List the value that *you* want to insure each item for, then approach
> a selection of brokers (much more likely to get you what you want than
> going direct - that only works well for 'standard' risks) and see what
> they can do for you. They won't charge for seeing what they can do
> for you.
>
> Do post back with an outcome!
>
> HTH,

Good advice, thanks. I'll certainly let the group know if I find
suitable cover. I don't imagine I can be the only person with geeky
assets like this that are not covered.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Dave Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in
news:1i7bn37.1qemuot8uo459N%(E-Mail Removed) k.nz:

> So, anyone know of some decent affordable insurance for these things?

Call them collectibles

--
Ciao, Dave

Jamie Kahn Genet

Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in
> news:1i7bn37.1qemuot8uo459N%(E-Mail Removed) k.nz:
>
> > So, anyone know of some decent affordable insurance for these things?

> Call them collectibles

I'm fairly certain I was clear with the companies I spoke to. But I just
called them collections and said I was a collector of these things. Bad
move?

peterwn

On Nov 9, 7:19 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet)
wrote:
> Hi, two questions:
>
> A) Are any of you helpful people familiar with a good insurance plan for
> a new top of the line Apple 24" iMac?

You should only be insuring this sort of stuff in this manner if your
financial resources are such that you would have extreme difficulty
meeting the replacement cost.

By all means include it in 'household' insurance (in case you lose the
lot), but not with 'all risks' extension or covering breakdowns. The
premiums of the insurance you are loking for would be quite high, and
it would be more economic in the long term to grin and bear the cost
of repairs or replacement. a significant part of the premium fo such
insurance goes towards meeting fraudulent claims despite the insurers'
best endeavours.

Puddle

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> shane wrote:
>>> Wouldnt replacement insurance factor in that classic games are
>>> difficult/expensive to .. replace?

>> Only if listed and an agreed value settled in advance.

> Makes sense to me. Far less messy if a there's just a set agreed on
> value that I'm simply paid out for if there was a flood, fire, theft or
> whatever. But places like Tower and AMP just aren't interested I
> keep records of what I have, but I'd hate to have to prove the value of
> hundreds of different games and books after they were gone. It's hard
> enough finding real world examples of the value of some of these items
> right NOW, let alone in the future when they're rarer. And value is such
> a subjective thing... *sigh*
>
> Other than a vague idea I should have some protection for my geekier
> assets, I am at a bit of a loss how do do so.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

I am just curious as to why you do collect stuff like that? To what
end? The way I see it people that collect old Ataris and games etc it is
only worth money because there are still people around that grew up with
them and actually know what they are... in 50 years when they have all
died off, no one will even know what an atari is or care about it?