Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Suspect TCP throttling by ISP, port 3724 , how do I debug it further?

Suspect TCP throttling by ISP, port 3724 , how do I debug it further?

Old Wolf

I have been having latency problems in Warcraft for the last
2 days or so. The game is OK when not much is happening,
but as soon as the action hots up, I get huge lag spikes. I
have painstakingly eliminated every in-game possibility
(video, audio, disk, memory, etc. etc.) and the most likely
explanation is that there is packetloss (at least 10% or so)
on the TCP connection used by the game.

However, I can ping the server (actually, the last router on
the path to the server; the actual server blocks ICMP) and
get a perfectly steady 250-300ms ping continually, even
when I am observing the in-game latency. Also, HTTP
to normal websites is fast and trouble-free.

How would I go about analysing the problem further now? Is
there a tool for Windows that I can use like 'snoop' in Solaris,
for example, that will catalogue all of the packets on a connection,
or report on packetloss and TCP re-transmits etc. on the connection?

Currently I'm trying to get a tunnel set up between myself
and a friend who does not have the problem on his connection,
that would be pretty conclusive if it fixed the problem for me.

Mark Robinson

Old Wolf wrote:
> I have been having latency problems in Warcraft for the last
> 2 days or so. The game is OK when not much is happening,
> but as soon as the action hots up, I get huge lag spikes. I
> have painstakingly eliminated every in-game possibility
> (video, audio, disk, memory, etc. etc.) and the most likely
> explanation is that there is packetloss (at least 10% or so)
> on the TCP connection used by the game.
>
> However, I can ping the server (actually, the last router on
> the path to the server; the actual server blocks ICMP) and
> get a perfectly steady 250-300ms ping continually, even
> when I am observing the in-game latency. Also, HTTP
> to normal websites is fast and trouble-free.
>
> How would I go about analysing the problem further now? Is
> there a tool for Windows that I can use like 'snoop' in Solaris,
> for example, that will catalogue all of the packets on a connection,
> or report on packetloss and TCP re-transmits etc. on the connection?
>
> Currently I'm trying to get a tunnel set up between myself
> and a friend who does not have the problem on his connection,
> that would be pretty conclusive if it fixed the problem for me.

http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/ may do the trick

bok

Old Wolf wrote:

> How would I go about analysing the problem further now? Is
> there a tool for Windows that I can use like 'snoop' in Solaris,
> for example, that will catalogue all of the packets on a connection,
> or report on packetloss and TCP re-transmits etc. on the connection?

You could try wireshark (formerly Ethereal)
http://www.wireshark.org/

or windump
http://www.winpcap.org/windump/

Old Wolf

On Oct 28, 11:36 pm, Old Wolf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The game is OK when not much is happening,
> but as soon as the action hots up, I get huge lag spikes. I
> have painstakingly eliminated every in-game possibility
> (video, audio, disk, memory, etc. etc.) and the most likely
> explanation is that there is packetloss (at least 10% or so)
> on the TCP connection used by the game.
>
> How would I go about analysing the problem further now?

Murphy's law .. as soon as I ask for help, I solve the problem
on my own I managed to establish an SSH tunnel to a friend
in Christchurch, and then was able to connect to the game server
via the tunnel at a blazingly fast speed (faster than my direct
connection has ever been , in fact). Am now questioning my ISP
about the issue.

Thanks to those who did reply already!

Craig Shore

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 06:18:48 -0700, Old Wolf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Oct 28, 11:36 pm, Old Wolf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The game is OK when not much is happening,
>> but as soon as the action hots up, I get huge lag spikes. I
>> have painstakingly eliminated every in-game possibility
>> (video, audio, disk, memory, etc. etc.) and the most likely
>> explanation is that there is packetloss (at least 10% or so)
>> on the TCP connection used by the game.
>>
>> How would I go about analysing the problem further now?

>Murphy's law .. as soon as I ask for help, I solve the problem
>on my own I managed to establish an SSH tunnel to a friend
>in Christchurch, and then was able to connect to the game server
>via the tunnel at a blazingly fast speed (faster than my direct
>connection has ever been , in fact). Am now questioning my ISP
>about the issue.
>
>Thanks to those who did reply already!

Who's your ISP, and who was your friend through?