Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Did you know ...

Did you know ...

peter

.... that Microsoft wants to lock you in?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCZ98bL1Y0U

With ooxml, Microsoft seeks official recognition for their proprietary
standard, so as to shut out innovation and competitors. Clearly, this is
contrary to the whole purpose of published standards.

Peter

Gordon

On 2007-10-28, peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ... that Microsoft wants to lock you in?
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCZ98bL1Y0U
>
> With ooxml, Microsoft seeks official recognition for their proprietary
> standard, so as to shut out innovation and competitors. Clearly, this is
> contrary to the whole purpose of published standards.

Did not MS have 78 cruise missiles explode right on this idea of theirs.

MS was trying to make their standard acceptable, as in lets widen the def of
the std. Then we will stuff out the other stuff.

BTW, Ms only wants one $$$, locking one in will not always achieve this.

Squiggle

Gordon wrote:
> On 2007-10-28, peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> ... that Microsoft wants to lock you in?
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCZ98bL1Y0U
>>
>> With ooxml, Microsoft seeks official recognition for their proprietary
>> standard, so as to shut out innovation and competitors. Clearly, this is
>> contrary to the whole purpose of published standards.
>>

> Did not MS have 78 cruise missiles explode right on this idea of theirs.
>
> MS was trying to make their standard acceptable, as in lets widen the def of
> the std. Then we will stuff out the other stuff.
>
> BTW, Ms only wants one $$$, locking one in will not always achieve this.

Do you guys ever get bored with the MS bashing? Surely you can find
something more rewarding to do with your lives?

peter

Squiggle wrote:
> Do you guys ever get bored with the MS bashing? Surely you can find
> something more rewarding to do with your lives?

It is not about Microsoft. I'd argue the same against any company that used
unlawful and unethical means to stifle innovation, shut out competition and
rip off consumers.

Peter

Jonathan Walker

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:54:23 +1300, Squiggle wrote:

> Do you guys ever get bored with the MS bashing?

No - so long as M$ keeps on demonstrably screwing over the public.

--
Jonathan Walker

Cima

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:45:42 +1300, peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Squiggle wrote:
>> Do you guys ever get bored with the MS bashing? Surely you can find
>> something more rewarding to do with your lives?

>It is not about Microsoft. I'd argue the same against any company that used
>unlawful and unethical means to stifle innovation, shut out competition and
>rip off consumers.

Heh, that'd be a shitload of companies then.

peter

Cima wrote:

> Heh, that'd be a shitload of companies then.

Such as?
Not many others have been found guilty in court, of monopoly abuse on a
scale to match Microsoft.

peterwn

On Oct 28, 4:54 pm, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
> > On 2007-10-28, peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> ... that Microsoft wants to lock you in?
> >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCZ98bL1Y0U

> >> With ooxml, Microsoft seeks official recognition for their proprietary
> >> standard, so as to shut out innovation and competitors. Clearly, this is
> >> contrary to the whole purpose of published standards.

> > Did not MS have 78 cruise missiles explode right on this idea of theirs.

> > MS was trying to make their standard acceptable, as in lets widen the def of
> > the std. Then we will stuff out the other stuff.

> > BTW, Ms only wants one $$$, locking one in will not always achieve this.

> Do you guys ever get bored with the MS bashing? Surely you can find
> something more rewarding to do with your lives?

Oh! Are you an alias of Brett Roberts, Mickey Mouse, Impossible or
Fred Dagg, then?

Squiggle

peterwn wrote:
> On Oct 28, 4:54 pm, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Gordon wrote:
>>> Did not MS have 78 cruise missiles explode right on this idea of theirs.
>>> MS was trying to make their standard acceptable, as in lets widen the def of
>>> the std. Then we will stuff out the other stuff.
>>> BTW, Ms only wants one $$$, locking one in will not always achieve this.

>> Do you guys ever get bored with the MS bashing? Surely you can find
>> something more rewarding to do with your lives?

> Oh! Are you an alias of Brett Roberts, Mickey Mouse, Impossible or
> Fred Dagg, then?

Nope, i'm just me.

sam

peter wrote:
> Cima wrote:
>> Heh, that'd be a shitload of companies then.

> Such as?
> Not many others have been found guilty in court, of monopoly abuse on a
> scale to match Microsoft.

Its way more expensive to be locked in by AutoCad or Digidesign Protools
though.

Coffee Break: When and How did you realize you are a betterprogrammer than you thought? pek Java 0 05-21-2008 04:02 PM
Did you know... Mike T. MCSE 11 09-21-2004 11:46 AM
Did you know weird MCSE 1 12-02-2003 08:46 PM
Did you know you can buy land on the moon? Morris Computer Support 33 11-30-2003 04:39 PM

Advertisments