Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > SLED 10 and Linksys wireless card?

SLED 10 and Linksys wireless card?

grumpyoldhori

Ok, I give up, I downloaded the RT2500 drivers, chewed my
way through the command line to set them up.

Now, damnit YAST has the card and sets it up, but the card
will not associate with the access point.

Can someone tell me what G card is set up without a battle?
PCI card that is.

--
grumpy

Malcolm

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:22:06 +1300
grumpyoldhori <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ok, I give up, I downloaded the RT2500 drivers, chewed my
> way through the command line to set them up.
>
> Now, damnit YAST has the card and sets it up, but the card
> will not associate with the access point.
>
> Can someone tell me what G card is set up without a battle?
> PCI card that is.

Hi
Is it s 64-bit machine? I use an access bridge WET54G on
this one. I did try some 64bit rt2500 drivers but couldn't get WPA to
work.

If not my Toshiba runs an intel card which uses the ipw2200 driver and
works fine. Else atheros chip and madwifi is probably the way to go.

--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
up 1 day 0:50, 1 user, load average: 0.15, 0.17, 0.10

grumpyoldhori

Malcolm wrote:

> Hi
> Is it s 64-bit machine? I use an access bridge WET54G on
> this one. I did try some 64bit rt2500 drivers but couldn't get WPA to
> work.

Thanks Malcolm, no it is a 32 bit machine the card is set up
in YAST but when using KwifiManager it can see the access point
but it gives a message, invalid wep key specification.

Wep is turned off in both the access point and the card.

Other than the wireless SLED is great, got all my programs
VLC etc loaded .
--
grumpy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <fg0dj5$bag$(E-Mail Removed)>, grumpyoldhori wrote:

> Now, damnit YAST has the card and sets it up, but the card
> will not associate with the access point.

Any messages in your logs at all?

Malcolm

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 13:33:26 +1300
grumpyoldhori <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Malcolm wrote:
>

> > Hi
> > Is it s 64-bit machine? I use an access bridge WET54G on
> > this one. I did try some 64bit rt2500 drivers but couldn't get WPA
> > to work.
> >

> Thanks Malcolm, no it is a 32 bit machine the card is set up
> in YAST but when using KwifiManager it can see the access point
> but it gives a message, invalid wep key specification.
>
> Wep is turned off in both the access point and the card.
>
> Other than the wireless SLED is great, got all my programs
> VLC etc loaded .

What about iwlist <interface> list do you see your access point. Have
you tried to enter the commands held by the config with iwconfig eg

iwconfig <interface> essid your_ap_name

Have a look at man iwconfig and of course any log messages.

--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
up 1 day 2:30, 1 user, load average: 0.11, 0.06, 0.02

Malcolm

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:12:14 -0500
Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 13:33:26 +1300
> grumpyoldhori <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Malcolm wrote:
> >

> > > Hi
> > > Is it s 64-bit machine? I use an access bridge WET54G on
> > > this one. I did try some 64bit rt2500 drivers but couldn't get WPA
> > > to work.
> > >

> > Thanks Malcolm, no it is a 32 bit machine the card is set up
> > in YAST but when using KwifiManager it can see the access point
> > but it gives a message, invalid wep key specification.
> >
> > Wep is turned off in both the access point and the card.
> >
> > Other than the wireless SLED is great, got all my programs
> > VLC etc loaded .

> What about iwlist <interface> list do you see your access point. Have
> you tried to enter the commands held by the config with iwconfig eg
>
> iwconfig <interface> essid your_ap_name
>
> Have a look at man iwconfig and of course any log messages.

Oops, that should be iwlist <interface> scan. I have about 3 other
wireless networks around here, so also ensure your at least 2 channels
away from any that may be in your area.

--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
up 1 day 3:08, 2 users, load average: 0.12, 0.09, 0.05

grumpyoldhori

Malcolm wrote:

> Have a look at man iwconfig and of course any log messages.

Thanks Malcolm, I will get my head down reading the wireless
tools manual.
--
grumpy