Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Software search EXIF batch editor

Software search EXIF batch editor

collector«NZ

In December I will be taking about 2000 digital photos in one day, I
need to be able to run these through some software to automatically edit
the file name to include the Hr:Min:Sec data from the exif data.

Nope my camera doesnt allow file naming using other than the date (That
I have discovered yet) Canon EOS 350D

And yes these are finish line photos but will be interspersed with
others and when uploaded to the image library site need to be in
finishing time order.

And no this is not a commercial money making exercisers just a help out
for a fun event

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <4721ac5a$(E-Mail Removed)>, collector«NZ wrote:

> In December I will be taking about 2000 digital photos in one day, I
> need to be able to run these through some software to automatically edit
> the file name to include the Hr:Min:Sec data from the exif data.

I'm thinking either a Shell script using this
<http://johnst.org/sw/exiftags/> or a Python script using this
<http://pyexif.sourceforge.net/>.

collector«NZ

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <4721ac5a$(E-Mail Removed)>, collector«NZ wrote:
>
>> In December I will be taking about 2000 digital photos in one day, I
>> need to be able to run these through some software to automatically edit
>> the file name to include the Hr:Min:Sec data from the exif data.

> I'm thinking either a Shell script using this
> <http://johnst.org/sw/exiftags/> or a Python script using this
> <http://pyexif.sourceforge.net/>.

yep possibly but of course I do not use Linux for this sort of thing and
writing scripts (even using the I386 exe) is not exactly my forte

-=rjh=-

collector«NZ wrote:
> In December I will be taking about 2000 digital photos in one day, I
> need to be able to run these through some software to automatically edit
> the file name to include the Hr:Min:Sec data from the exif data.
>
> Nope my camera doesnt allow file naming using other than the date (That
> I have discovered yet) Canon EOS 350D
>
> And yes these are finish line photos but will be interspersed with
> others and when uploaded to the image library site need to be in
> finishing time order.
>
> And no this is not a commercial money making exercisers just a help out
> for a fun event

I wrote an article about this:

http://hindesite.wordpress.com/artic...using-renamer/

Renamer is at http://www.den4b.com/projects.php

And of course, Irfanview will do this as a batch process - see the help
section for placeholders when using the batch rename options. File>Batch
Conversion/Rename>Batch rename. Irfanview may only use the file date and
time, rather than the exif date and time (I'm not sure, and for your
purposes it may not matter).

HTH

collector«NZ

-=rjh=- wrote:
> collector«NZ wrote:
>> In December I will be taking about 2000 digital photos in one day, I
>> need to be able to run these through some software to automatically
>> edit the file name to include the Hr:Min:Sec data from the exif data.
>>
>> Nope my camera doesnt allow file naming using other than the date
>> (That I have discovered yet) Canon EOS 350D
>>
>> And yes these are finish line photos but will be interspersed with
>> others and when uploaded to the image library site need to be in
>> finishing time order.
>>
>> And no this is not a commercial money making exercisers just a help
>> out for a fun event

> I wrote an article about this:
>
> http://hindesite.wordpress.com/artic...using-renamer/
>

> Renamer is at http://www.den4b.com/projects.php
>
> And of course, Irfanview will do this as a batch process - see the help
> section for placeholders when using the batch rename options. File>Batch
> Conversion/Rename>Batch rename. Irfanview may only use the file date and
> time, rather than the exif date and time (I'm not sure, and for your
> purposes it may not matter).
>
> HTH

I humbly withdraw any comments I may have made about the usefulness of
advice on Usenet

You are exactly on the nail with this renamer on a quick look looks like
it will do what I need.

My camera clock will be wrong (in terms of actual UTC type time) as I
will set it to 00:00:00 at race start, that way competitors will be able
to locate there image by knowing there race duration time which we give
them from RFID chip timing. I break the library of images up into half
hour length albums and viola they can find it easy. There are many other
neato things we can do using race time as well so it will be a lot of
fun experimenting.

BTW my searches using google where less than productive because I hadnt
included the term "metadata"

Keith

In article <4721ac5a$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> In December I will be taking about 2000 digital photos in one day, I
> need to be able to run these through some software to automatically edit
> the file name to include the Hr:Min:Sec data from the exif data.
>
> Nope my camera doesnt allow file naming using other than the date (That
> I have discovered yet) Canon EOS 350D

My Canon Powershot comes with a transfer utility called "CameraWindow".
It allows you to rename on transfer. Your choices are FilePrefix+No;
DateInfo+No; DateInfo+Prefix+No; DateInfo+Prefix+No.

Won't this do?

Keith

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, keithr3
@N0JUNK.invalid says...
> In article <4721ac5a$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> > In December I will be taking about 2000 digital photos in one day, I
> > need to be able to run these through some software to automatically edit
> > the file name to include the Hr:Min:Sec data from the exif data.
> >
> > Nope my camera doesnt allow file naming using other than the date (That
> > I have discovered yet) Canon EOS 350D

> My Canon Powershot comes with a transfer utility called "CameraWindow".
> It allows you to rename on transfer. Your choices are FilePrefix+No;
> DateInfo+No; DateInfo+Prefix+No; DateInfo+Prefix+No.
>
> Won't this do?

If I read this more carefully, obviously not, as you're after time data!

Gordon

On 2007-10-26, collector«NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> -=rjh=- wrote:
>> collector«NZ wrote:
>>> In December I will be taking about 2000 digital photos in one day, I
>>> need to be able to run these through some software to automatically
>>> edit the file name to include the Hr:Min:Sec data from the exif data.
>>>
>>> Nope my camera doesnt allow file naming using other than the date
>>> (That I have discovered yet) Canon EOS 350D
>>>
>>> And yes these are finish line photos but will be interspersed with
>>> others and when uploaded to the image library site need to be in
>>> finishing time order.
>>>
>>> And no this is not a commercial money making exercisers just a help
>>> out for a fun event

>> I wrote an article about this:
>>
>> http://hindesite.wordpress.com/artic...using-renamer/
>>

>> Renamer is at http://www.den4b.com/projects.php
>>
>> And of course, Irfanview will do this as a batch process - see the help
>> section for placeholders when using the batch rename options. File>Batch
>> Conversion/Rename>Batch rename. Irfanview may only use the file date and
>> time, rather than the exif date and time (I'm not sure, and for your
>> purposes it may not matter).
>>
>> HTH

> I humbly withdraw any comments I may have made about the usefulness of
> advice on Usenet

I withdraw humbly any comments.. (Adverb comes after the verb)

Good grief, ng are like the media; hype, bullshit, and drivel abounds.
Nevertheless there is some real gems in amongst it all. Focus on the gems
not the rest. Then this ng and the readers would gain.

> You are exactly on the nail with this renamer on a quick look looks like
> it will do what I need.
>
> My camera clock will be wrong (in terms of actual UTC type time) as I
> will set it to 00:00:00 at race start, that way competitors will be able
> to locate there image by knowing there race duration time which we give
> them from RFID chip timing. I break the library of images up into half
> hour length albums and viola they can find it easy. There are many other
> neato things we can do using race time as well so it will be a lot of
> fun experimenting.
>
> BTW my searches using google where less than productive because I hadnt
> included the term "metadata"

In article <4721ac5a$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> In December I will be taking about 2000 digital photos in one day, I
> need to be able to run these through some software to automatically edit
> the file name to include the Hr:Min:Sec data from the exif data.
>
> Nope my camera doesnt allow file naming using other than the date (That
> I have discovered yet) Canon EOS 350D
>
> And yes these are finish line photos but will be interspersed with
> others and when uploaded to the image library site need to be in
> finishing time order.
>
> And no this is not a commercial money making exercisers just a help out
> for a fun event

Metamorphose is a free, open source mass file and folder renaming
program that combines great flexibility with an intuitive interface.
Allows many different renaming operations in a single utility, perfect
for those of us that need to rename large numbers of files and/or
folders on a regular basis. However, the ease of the interface ensures a
one-time user (I need to rename 5 gigs of mp3's) will not find it too
frustrating to use.

http://www.getdeb.net/app.php?name=Metamorphose

D.

collector«NZ

Keith wrote:
> In article <4721ac5a$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> In December I will be taking about 2000 digital photos in one day, I
>> need to be able to run these through some software to automatically edit
>> the file name to include the Hr:Min:Sec data from the exif data.
>>
>> Nope my camera doesnt allow file naming using other than the date (That
>> I have discovered yet) Canon EOS 350D

> My Canon Powershot comes with a transfer utility called "CameraWindow".
> It allows you to rename on transfer. Your choices are FilePrefix+No;
> DateInfo+No; DateInfo+Prefix+No; DateInfo+Prefix+No.
>
> Won't this do?

No because it doesnt name the file according to the Hours Minutes Seconds