Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Asus P5K motherboard

Asus P5K motherboard

thingy

What do people think of this as value for money?

things I like

1) It has a full 16x Pci-e
2) A 1 or 4 x PCI-e, most external raid, NICs etc want 4 x pci-e, so
boards with 1 x pic-e are plain naff IMHO....
3) 3 x PCI, as I have scsi raid, and a pci based sound card, I need at
least two.....
4) has e-sata
5) Ext firewire....
6) 4 memory slots
7) It is sanely priced....

Anything else out there for around $220 that has these "goodies"....

regards

Thing

XPD

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What do people think of this as value for money?
>
> things I like
>
> 1) It has a full 16x Pci-e
> 2) A 1 or 4 x PCI-e, most external raid, NICs etc want 4 x pci-e, so
> boards with 1 x pic-e are plain naff IMHO....
> 3) 3 x PCI, as I have scsi raid, and a pci based sound card, I need at
> least two.....
> 4) has e-sata
> 5) Ext firewire....
> 6) 4 memory slots
> 7) It is sanely priced....
>
> Anything else out there for around $220 that has these "goodies"....

P5K range are good, but be wary of earlier BIOS versions as they have issues
with newer CPUs until theyre flashed.
If youre paying $220 for the "basic" P5K then youre getting ripped.

Asustek P5K Intel P35 ATX $154.00 inc GST
(I havent looked at all the models so maybe youre looking the the Wifi
version or something)

thingy

XPD wrote:
> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What do people think of this as value for money?
>>
>> things I like
>>
>> 1) It has a full 16x Pci-e
>> 2) A 1 or 4 x PCI-e, most external raid, NICs etc want 4 x pci-e, so
>> boards with 1 x pic-e are plain naff IMHO....
>> 3) 3 x PCI, as I have scsi raid, and a pci based sound card, I need at
>> least two.....
>> 4) has e-sata
>> 5) Ext firewire....
>> 6) 4 memory slots
>> 7) It is sanely priced....
>>
>> Anything else out there for around $220 that has these "goodies"....

> P5K range are good, but be wary of earlier BIOS versions as they have issues
> with newer CPUs until theyre flashed.
> If youre paying $220 for the "basic" P5K then youre getting ripped.
>
> Asustek P5K Intel P35 ATX $154.00 inc GST
> (I havent looked at all the models so maybe youre looking the the Wifi
> version or something)

There seems to be a "basic" p5k at around $150, this one has a third pci
slot and e-sata and firewire....hence $60 more....all of which I need
(3pci and fwire) or would like (e-sata).

I'd like a second e-sata but thats the top p5k at $400....

regards

Thing

impossible

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> XPD wrote:
>> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> What do people think of this as value for money?
>>>
>>> things I like
>>>
>>> 1) It has a full 16x Pci-e
>>> 2) A 1 or 4 x PCI-e, most external raid, NICs etc want 4 x pci-e, so
>>> boards with 1 x pic-e are plain naff IMHO....
>>> 3) 3 x PCI, as I have scsi raid, and a pci based sound card, I need at
>>> least two.....
>>> 4) has e-sata
>>> 5) Ext firewire....
>>> 6) 4 memory slots
>>> 7) It is sanely priced....
>>>
>>> Anything else out there for around $220 that has these "goodies"....

>> P5K range are good, but be wary of earlier BIOS versions as they have
>> issues with newer CPUs until theyre flashed.
>> If youre paying $220 for the "basic" P5K then youre getting ripped.
>>
>> Asustek P5K Intel P35 ATX $154.00 inc GST
>> (I havent looked at all the models so maybe youre looking the the Wifi
>> version or something)
>>

> There seems to be a "basic" p5k at around $150, this one has a third pci
> slot and e-sata and firewire....hence $60 more....all of which I need
> (3pci and fwire) or would like (e-sata).
>
> I'd like a second e-sata but thats the top p5k at $400....

I just noticed this in passing in an August 2007 box-building guide:

"P35-based boards from Asus, Gigabyte, DFI, Abit, MSI, and all the major
name brands look good, with Asus' P5K line being well-known for both
excellent overclocking and high power consumption."

http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200708.ars/3

If that bit about high power consumption raises any concerns, you might want
to investigate further.