Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > xtra mail server - is this mail delivery system message genuine

xtra mail server - is this mail delivery system message genuine

nod

I have just received an email
from Mail Delivery System
to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
subject Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

with an attachment Tatyana from Russia(4.11KB) which I have not
opened

The reason I am puzzled is because although I maintain a minimal xtra
account and still receive a few emails through it, a couple of months
ago I switched to IHUG and cannot now send emails out through xtra
unless I go to their webmail page which I have not done for two
months.

The message is:

This is the mail system at host akvs4.plain.net.nz.

The mail system

<(E-Mail Removed)>: host 210.54.239.243[210.54.239.243] said: 550 No
such
recipient (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Is this a genuine message? OR is it a clever way to get me to open
the attachment ?

If it is genuine then what is happening on the xtra mail server that
emails are being sent out from me ?

I am not interested in further lambasting Xtra - - I am interested in
how the mail servers work that would explain how this could have
happened.

Thanks

Jonathan Walker

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:04:45 +1300, nod wrote:

> The reason I am puzzled is because although I maintain a minimal xtra
> account and still receive a few emails through it, a couple of months
> ago I switched to IHUG and cannot now send emails out through xtra
> unless I go to their webmail page which I have not done for two
> months.

For quite some time now Telecom/Xtra has prevented people from using its
SMTP server unless you were connecting to it from within its network.

To be fair, Telecom is not the only ISP to do this. However, it is very
inconvenient for its customers who also use some other ISP.

--
Jonathan Walker

EMB

nod wrote:

> I am not interested in further lambasting Xtra - - I am interested in
> how the mail servers work that would explain how this could have
> happened.

You've been joe jobbed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job

nod

On 22 Oct 2007 11:12:53 +1300, Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:04:45 +1300, nod wrote:
>
>> The reason I am puzzled is because although I maintain a minimal xtra
>> account and still receive a few emails through it, a couple of months
>> ago I switched to IHUG and cannot now send emails out through xtra
>> unless I go to their webmail page which I have not done for two
>> months.

>For quite some time now Telecom/Xtra has prevented people from using its
>SMTP server unless you were connecting to it from within its network.
>
>To be fair, Telecom is not the only ISP to do this. However, it is very
>inconvenient for its customers who also use some other ISP.

You have missed the point of my posting Jonathon. I was no complaining
about the fact I cannot send out email through the xtra server. The
reason I mention that fact was to show that I could not inadvertently
have sent the email that has been returned to me.

nod

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:18:24 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>nod wrote:
>
>> I am not interested in further lambasting Xtra - - I am interested in
>> how the mail servers work that would explain how this could have
>> happened.

>You've been joe jobbed.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job

most informative - thank you

Jonathan Walker

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:19:58 +1300, nod wrote:

> On 22 Oct 2007 11:12:53 +1300, Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:04:45 +1300, nod wrote:
>>
>>> The reason I am puzzled is because although I maintain a minimal xtra
>>> account and still receive a few emails through it, a couple of months
>>> ago I switched to IHUG and cannot now send emails out through xtra
>>> unless I go to their webmail page which I have not done for two
>>> months.

>>For quite some time now Telecom/Xtra has prevented people from using its
>>SMTP server unless you were connecting to it from within its network.
>>
>>To be fair, Telecom is not the only ISP to do this. However, it is very
>>inconvenient for its customers who also use some other ISP.

> You have missed the point of my posting Jonathon. I was no complaining
> about the fact I cannot send out email through the xtra server. The
> reason I mention that fact was to show that I could not inadvertently
> have sent the email that has been returned to me.

Are you using a MS Windows PC?

Have you recently confirmed that it is free from Trojans, viruses and any
other sort of malware?

What about any user of MS Windows and MS Outlook/Express who has your
email address stored on their computer?

--
Jonathan Walker

lolinternet

Jonathan Walker wrote:
> For quite some time now Telecom/Xtra has prevented people from using its
> SMTP server unless you were connecting to it from within its network.

> To be fair, Telecom is not the only ISP to do this. However, it is very
> inconvenient for its customers who also use some other ISP.

Ummm, anyone, anywhere running a mail server should do this. Any server
that accepts mail from networks other than it's own is an open relay and
shouldn't be on the internet.

If said people are using another ISP they should be sending using that
providers SMTP server (or an SMTP auth/secure SMTP session).

Jonathan Walker

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:29:30 +1300, lolinternet wrote:

> Ummm, anyone, anywhere running a mail server should do this. Any server
> that accepts mail from networks other than it's own is an open relay and
> shouldn't be on the internet.

Incorrect.

The server should authenticate the user that is attempting to connect to
it. Merely letting anybody connect from anywhere is, as you say acting as
an open relay and rightly should be blocked.

Blocking access merely because the connection is from outside of a
particular network is no logical reason to prevent a connection. The user
*should* be authenticated.

--
Jonathan Walker

thingy

nod wrote:
> I have just received an email
> from Mail Delivery System
> to (E-Mail Removed)
> subject Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
>
> with an attachment Tatyana from Russia(4.11KB) which I have not
> opened
>

> The reason I am puzzled is because although I maintain a minimal xtra
> account and still receive a few emails through it, a couple of months
> ago I switched to IHUG and cannot now send emails out through xtra
> unless I go to their webmail page which I have not done for two
> months.
>
> The message is:
>
> This is the mail system at host akvs4.plain.net.nz.
>
> I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
> be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
>
> For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

> delete your own text from the attached returned message.
>
> The mail system
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)>: host 210.54.239.243[210.54.239.243] said: 550 No
> such
> recipient (in reply to RCPT TO command)
>
> Is this a genuine message? OR is it a clever way to get me to open
> the attachment ?
>
> If it is genuine then what is happening on the xtra mail server that
> emails are being sent out from me ?
>
> I am not interested in further lambasting Xtra - - I am interested in
> how the mail servers work that would explain how this could have
> happened.
>
> Thanks

Hi,

Since its unlikely you have been Joe'd...

It is either a bounce from a legit server with your email address forged
as the sender (very common, mine's been sold to someone in brazil, I get
heeps of xxx.xxx.br bounces everyday), or actually sent to you directly
with a forged bounce header from a spammer/botnet owner and contains
advertising and/or a virus hoping you will open it to see what went wrong.

As "Tatyana from Russia" brings up lots of hits via google I suspect its
a scammer and you have caught the bounce back from an ex-legit account.

regards

Thing

thingy

Jonathan Walker wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:29:30 +1300, lolinternet wrote:
>
>> Ummm, anyone, anywhere running a mail server should do this. Any server
>> that accepts mail from networks other than it's own is an open relay and
>> shouldn't be on the internet.

> Incorrect.
>
> The server should authenticate the user that is attempting to connect to
> it. Merely letting anybody connect from anywhere is, as you say acting as
> an open relay and rightly should be blocked.
>
> Blocking access merely because the connection is from outside of a
> particular network is no logical reason to prevent a connection. The user
> *should* be authenticated.

Most are not.

It is a Q of risk, The standard is if from the subnets the ISP owns, it
is let through....

As an example smarthosting....small businesses often smarthost.

put it this way, what would you achieve if you insisted on
authentication? most users will automate the authentication mechanism
anyway, so a "mail" flood from them is just going to pass through anyway
but you greatly add to the complexity of a mail setup....ISPs already
get enough calls from morons as it is....

So before you react to an "obvious" issue with a "simple" solution,
think what the other issues are.

regards

Thing