Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Asus launches Eee PC

Asus launches Eee PC

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Shipping now with Xandros Linux, Dimdows XP coming later, Vista--not a hope
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071017-asus-officially-launches-299-eee-laptop-xp-to-come-later.html>.

The Linux system boots up in 10 seconds and shuts down in 5
<http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3829>.

Geoff

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> The Linux system boots up in 10 seconds and shuts down in 5

Oooh that must give you a real stiffy.

geoff

XPD

news:ff69ve$lfd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shipping now with Xandros Linux, Dimdows XP coming later, Vista--not a
> hope
> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071017-asus-officially-launches-299-eee-laptop-xp-to-come-later.html>.
>
> The Linux system boots up in 10 seconds and shuts down in 5
> <http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3829>.

Can you see them arriving here in NZ for anything near $333 (or whatever it
comes to with todays exchange rate) ?
I cant. Probably end up being $600.......for another $200 Id rather get a
compaq/acer with better specs.

Be interesting to see tho....if they do end up here for around $400, then I
may be tempted.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <ff6jt5$rsk$(E-Mail Removed)>, XPD wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:ff69ve$lfd$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071017-asus-officially-launches-299-eee-laptop-xp-to-come-later.html>.

> Can you see them arriving here in NZ for anything near $333 (or whatever
> it comes to with todays exchange rate) ?

Why not. I'm sure a containerload of them could turn up as a Warehouse
parallel import.

Cima

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:24:05 +1200, "Geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>

>> The Linux system boots up in 10 seconds and shuts down in 5

>Oooh that must give you a real stiffy.

What do you think he typed the message with?

E. Scrooge

news:ff69ve$lfd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shipping now with Xandros Linux, Dimdows XP coming later, Vista--not a
> hope
> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071017-asus-officially-launches-299-eee-laptop-xp-to-come-later.html>.
>
> The Linux system boots up in 10 seconds and shuts down in 5
> <http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3829>.

Doen't leave much time to do much on it if it shuts down 5 seconds after
starting.
LOL

Anyway it hardly matters since **** all PC software will run on it, mainly
only Linux software instead.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

news:ff6kpb$sck$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <ff6jt5$rsk$(E-Mail Removed)>, XPD wrote:
>
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>> news:ff69ve$lfd$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071017-asus-officially-launches-299-eee-laptop-xp-to-come-later.html>.

>> Can you see them arriving here in NZ for anything near $333 (or whatever
>> it comes to with todays exchange rate) ?

> Why not. I'm sure a containerload of them could turn up as a Warehouse
> parallel import.

You don't think ASUS agents Dick Smiths will be able to shift the lemons
running Linux then.

You fail to mention that ASUS have stopped supplying new computers with
Windows installed. Could it be that ASUS wouldn't survive if it dumped
Windows completely in favour of Linux that has bugger all support from main
software and hardware companies?

E. Scrooge

XPD

> Anyway it hardly matters since **** all PC software will run on it, mainly
> only Linux software instead.

I take it youre not a linux user then ?

For the power of the unit, would you really want to run Windows applications
on it anyway ? Its being aimed at more the student type to do basic work on
such as productivity stuff rather than games/video/CAD etc.
I'd get one at the right price (as per my other post), mainly because Im a
tech on the road all the time and having a cheap laptop with me would make
things easier for troubleshooting and not kicking clients off their systems
all the time - plug my own in....... also having someone break into the car
and pinching a $3-400 laptop vs a $1000 one ? I know what Id rather risk -
in saying that, I usually dont tend to leave laptops in cars

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <1192685075.149667@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:

> You fail to mention that ASUS have stopped supplying new computers with
> Windows installed.

Have they really??

sam

E. Scrooge wrote:
> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:ff69ve$lfd$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Shipping now with Xandros Linux, Dimdows XP coming later, Vista--not a
>> hope
>> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071017-asus-officially-launches-299-eee-laptop-xp-to-come-later.html>.
>>
>> The Linux system boots up in 10 seconds and shuts down in 5
>> <http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3829>.

> Doen't leave much time to do much on it if it shuts down 5 seconds after
> starting.
> LOL
>
> Anyway it hardly matters since **** all PC software will run on it, mainly
> only Linux software instead.

FTA

You can browse the web using FireFox, use Skype with the built-in web
cam and microphone, open Word and Excel docs and edit them, view photos,
listen to music files, use AOL IM, MSN messenger or just about any other
major chat client via Kopete. In other words, all the basic functions
you perform on a PC you can do on the Eee PC.

Sounds pretty useful for someting the size of a paperback.