Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows 2000 licences

Windows 2000 licences

Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

Jonathan Walker

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 23:18:53 +1300, j.visch wrote:

> Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
> 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

Why would you want Win2000?

It's slow to start and to login. It's too much like Win98, and it's
obsolete - having been replaced by non-M$ software.

--
Jonathan Walker

Peter Jenkins

On Oct 17, 11:18 pm, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
> 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

Probably Trade Me is your best bet - although I cant see any on there
right now

It is a bit slow starting, but is otherwise perfectly usable - I am
still using it having seen no compelling reasons to upgrade to XP as
yet. MS are still providing updates and patches for it, so it isn't
obsolete yet, although I'd grant it is rather getting on in years.

That said if you don't have to have Windows for reasons of software
compatibility there are plenty of great Linux distros out there for
absolutely nothing that are much newer and often have Word/
Powerpoint / Outlook equivalents built in for nothing along with
Firefox which is a far better browser than IE6/7. Kubuntu is good and
not too hard to get used to for a Windows user

Regards
Peter Jenkins
see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

thingy

Peter Jenkins wrote:
> On Oct 17, 11:18 pm, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
>> 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

> Probably Trade Me is your best bet - although I cant see any on there
> right now

I seem to re-call MS getting all upset when NT4 licences were being sold
via trademe, somehow I dont see win2k licences getting onto trademe and
staying long...

> It is a bit slow starting, but is otherwise perfectly usable - I am
> still using it having seen no compelling reasons to upgrade to XP as
> yet.

Games run better on XP, and XP is now more stable IMHO.

MS are still providing updates and patches for it, so it isn't
> obsolete yet, although I'd grant it is rather getting on in years.

True, if you have a reasonable box though, and can pick up XP cheaply,
I'd would consider an upgrade a no brainer.....

regards

Thing

Mutlley

Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 23:18:53 +1300, j.visch wrote:
>
>> Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
>> 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

>Why would you want Win2000?
>
>It's slow to start and to login. It's too much like Win98, and it's
>obsolete - having been replaced by non-M$ software.

Win2K is fine. That's what i use on my main PC at home. Win XP is
also fine but as far as I'm concerned it's win2K with eye candy..

thingy

Mutlley wrote:
> Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 23:18:53 +1300, j.visch wrote:
>>
>>> Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
>>> 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

>> Why would you want Win2000?
>>
>> It's slow to start and to login. It's too much like Win98, and it's
>> obsolete - having been replaced by non-M$ software.

> Win2K is fine. That's what i use on my main PC at home. Win XP is
> also fine but as far as I'm concerned it's win2K with eye candy..

I find XP runs games better, and later ones are XP or XP and Vista
only....as an example BF2142 runs well in win2k graphically, but most of
the keyboard keys dont work....

Kids older 98 games also run or run more stably on XP.

If all you do is cruise the Internet then I wouldn't even run win2k...

regards

Thing

XPD

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
> 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?

Checked with one of my suppliers (techPac) and they only list XP and
Vista...even XP seems to be vanishing from the retail section, so finding
someone who can get 2000 would be very tough now I think.
When 2000 was still available, I found it was cheaper to get XP licenses
anyway.

~misfit~

Somewhere on the interweb "thingy" typed:
> Mutlley wrote:
> > Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Why would you want Win2000?
> > >
> > > It's slow to start and to login. It's too much like Win98, and
> > > it's obsolete - having been replaced by non-M$ software.

> > Win2K is fine. That's what i use on my main PC at home. Win XP is
> > also fine but as far as I'm concerned it's win2K with eye candy..

> I find XP runs games better, and later ones are XP or XP and Vista
> only....as an example BF2142 runs well in win2k graphically, but most
> of the keyboard keys dont work....

That must be a relatively recent thing then as I remember, not that long
ago, PC manufacturers giving frame-rates etc for games running under 2K
(without explicitly saying so) as it had less overhead than XP and
consequently performed better. At least in gaming benchmarks.
--
TTFN

Shaun.

Mutlley

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
>> 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?
>>

>Checked with one of my suppliers (techPac) and they only list XP and
>Vista...even XP seems to be vanishing from the retail section, so finding
>someone who can get 2000 would be very tough now I think.
>When 2000 was still available, I found it was cheaper to get XP licenses
>anyway.

It was in the form of XP home but not XP Pro

EMB

XPD wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Any one know how to get new licence keys for windows
>> 2000 so that one can legally install on new machines?
>>

> Checked with one of my suppliers (techPac) and they only list XP and
> Vista...even XP seems to be vanishing from the retail section, so finding
> someone who can get 2000 would be very tough now I think.
> When 2000 was still available, I found it was cheaper to get XP licenses
> anyway.

IIRC you can legally run Win2K as a downgrade to a XP Pro licence.

Pricing photo licences Alfred Molon Digital Photography 0 01-28-2006 10:59 PM
SMC violating Microsoft Licences agreements? ilovemyview@yahoo.com ASP .Net 4 09-06-2005 10:27 AM
WMP10 and Licences Meandu Computer Support 0 05-26-2005 07:29 PM
MS licences spam Peter NZ Computing 4 05-07-2004 12:28 PM
Embedded perl and licences Chris Perl 0 09-05-2003 02:40 AM

Advertisments