Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Gutsy will be released on Thursday (Friday our time?)

Gutsy will be released on Thursday (Friday our time?)

Shane

http://www.theregister.com/2007/10/16/ubuntu_7_dot_10/
The folks at Canonical have started to prepare their servers for downloads
of the latest Ubuntu release - 7.10 or "Gutsy Gibbon."

Past Ubuntu releases have been marred by downed servers, as the Umbongo
faithful rush to get their fresh code injection. So, this time around, Mark
Shuttleworth and crew are doing their outreach early. They've started
talking up the OS before it's available on Thursday, hoping to spread out
demand a bit.
[...]
Those of you dabbling with the dark side via dual boot Windows machines will
enjoy the ability to read and write files on the (NTFS) Windows partition.

I wonder how long ntfs will be rw, the cynic in me wonders if NTFS will be
patched to break the rw ability
--
Hardware: n, Parts of a computer that you can kick.

Peter

Shane wrote:
> http://www.theregister.com/2007/10/16/ubuntu_7_dot_10/
> The folks at Canonical have started to prepare their servers for downloads
> of the latest Ubuntu release - 7.10 or "Gutsy Gibbon."

cool

> Those of you dabbling with the dark side via dual boot Windows machines
> will enjoy the ability to read and write files on the (NTFS) Windows
> partition.

Does this include compatibility with the Vista version of ntfs? Or is it
just for the older versions?

Peter

Shane

Peter wrote:

> Shane wrote:
>> http://www.theregister.com/2007/10/16/ubuntu_7_dot_10/
>> The folks at Canonical have started to prepare their servers for
>> downloads of the latest Ubuntu release - 7.10 or "Gutsy Gibbon."

> cool
>
>> Those of you dabbling with the dark side via dual boot Windows machines
>> will enjoy the ability to read and write files on the (NTFS) Windows
>> partition.

> Does this include compatibility with the Vista version of ntfs? Or is it
> just for the older versions?
>

> Peter

That is a flipping good question. I dont have Vista here so I cant test.
If you find out can you let us know?
--
Hardware: n, Parts of a computer that you can kick.

sam

Shane wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>
>> Shane wrote:
>>> http://www.theregister.com/2007/10/16/ubuntu_7_dot_10/
>>> The folks at Canonical have started to prepare their servers for
>>> downloads of the latest Ubuntu release - 7.10 or "Gutsy Gibbon."

>> cool
>>
>>> Those of you dabbling with the dark side via dual boot Windows machines
>>> will enjoy the ability to read and write files on the (NTFS) Windows
>>> partition.

>> Does this include compatibility with the Vista version of ntfs? Or is it
>> just for the older versions?
>>

>> Peter

> That is a flipping good question. I dont have Vista here so I cant test.
> If you find out can you let us know?

This page might have some info on that.
http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

~misfit~

Somewhere on the interweb "Peter" typed:
> Shane wrote:
> > http://www.theregister.com/2007/10/16/ubuntu_7_dot_10/
> > The folks at Canonical have started to prepare their servers for
> > downloads of the latest Ubuntu release - 7.10 or "Gutsy Gibbon."

> cool

Heh! I still have the "Feisty Fawn" DVD ISO on my HDD somewhere. Never did
get around to setting it up (dual boot).
--
TTFN

Shaun.

Malcolm

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:10:45 +1300
"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Somewhere on the interweb "Peter" typed:
> > Shane wrote:
> > > http://www.theregister.com/2007/10/16/ubuntu_7_dot_10/
> > > The folks at Canonical have started to prepare their servers for
> > > downloads of the latest Ubuntu release - 7.10 or "Gutsy Gibbon."

> > cool

> Heh! I still have the "Feisty Fawn" DVD ISO on my HDD somewhere.
> Never did get around to setting it up (dual boot).

Young luke is weakening.....an iso on the hard drive, come on over
to the darkside.................

--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
up 21:31, 1 user, load average: 0.20, 0.12, 0.13

Lodi

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:10:45 +1300
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on the interweb "Peter" typed:
>> >
>> > cool

>> Heh! I still have the "Feisty Fawn" DVD ISO on my HDD somewhere. Never
>> did get around to setting it up (dual boot).

That's the one problem about a new operating system every six months. I
was happily running Dapper until a year ago. Then I upgraded and ended up
with a perfectly fine setup running Edgy. Six months later I upgraded to
Feisty and am currently running a perfectly fine system. And now, over
the coming weekend, I'll upgrade to Gutsy and, most likely, end up with a
perfectly fine running system.... It all seems a bit pointless when I
could have stayed with Dapper (possibly) or Edgy (definitely).

I guess I should stop upgrading my software and start upgrading my
hardware.

Regards
Lodi

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <ff6fmu$r02$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lodi wrote:

> That's the one problem about a new operating system every six months.

Heh, try Gentoo--something new every day.

~misfit~

Somewhere on the interweb "Malcolm" typed:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:10:45 +1300
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Somewhere on the interweb "Peter" typed:
> > >
> > > cool

> > Heh! I still have the "Feisty Fawn" DVD ISO on my HDD somewhere.
> > Never did get around to setting it up (dual boot).

> Young luke is weakening.....an iso on the hard drive, come on over
> to the darkside.................

Hehee! Now if only I had HDD space for the install...

Might have to burn some xvids off to DVDR. <g>
--
TTFN

Shaun.

Alan

I am running Kubuntu 7.04 - my first dabble with Kubuntu.

Will the update to 7.10 just appear in the system tray as an available
update (a la the normal package updates and similar to when Windows
has an update available) or do I have to actually download 7.10
separately?

Thanks,
--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
news:ff37t7$kp8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.theregister.com/2007/10/16/ubuntu_7_dot_10/
> The folks at Canonical have started to prepare their servers for
> downloads
> of the latest Ubuntu release - 7.10 or "Gutsy Gibbon."
>
> Past Ubuntu releases have been marred by downed servers, as the
> Umbongo
> faithful rush to get their fresh code injection. So, this time
> around, Mark
> Shuttleworth and crew are doing their outreach early. They've
> started
> talking up the OS before it's available on Thursday, hoping to
> spread out
> demand a bit.
> [...]
> Those of you dabbling with the dark side via dual boot Windows
> machines will
> enjoy the ability to read and write files on the (NTFS) Windows
> partition.
>
> I wonder how long ntfs will be rw, the cynic in me wonders if NTFS
> will be
> patched to break the rw ability
> --
> Hardware: n, Parts of a computer that you can kick.

Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy Lodi NZ Computing 9 04-26-2008 08:26 AM
Gem problem installing Rails / Ubuntu Gutsy Jesse Crockett Ruby 7 12-28-2007 05:58 AM
Kubuntu Gutsy external USB drive Lodi NZ Computing 18 11-16-2007 09:48 PM
Gutsy moan Lodi NZ Computing 9 11-15-2007 08:42 AM
Script to Download Ubuntu Gutsy ASAP danfolkes Python 1 10-18-2007 11:14 AM

Advertisments