Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > HttpModule for ASP and ASP.NET URL filtering

HttpModule for ASP and ASP.NET URL filtering

Jon Sequeira

I'm interested in writing an HttpModule to clean up URLs for a site that's
in a transitional phase from ASP to ASP.NET. Basically, I'd like to hide
some very messy querystrings (which are Google-proof-- they use GUIDs as
query parameters) and use more memorable names in the URLs.

I'd like this module to work for both ASP and ASP.NET pages in the site. I
understand basically how to do this for my .aspx pages, but how do I tell
IIS to pass .asp page requests through my ASP.NET module for URL rewriting,
and then on to the standard ASP handler?

Any insights are appreciated.

--Jon

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

I've seen this asked a few times but never seen it work. ASP would have to
be pointed to the ASP.NET ISAPI handler in IIS, then you would need to
remove the block in machine.config (cant remember the exact setting) that
dissallows processing of ASP pages by ASP.NET. Potentially the handler
could intercept the URL request before it realised the target page contained
ASP and redirect accordingly.

Look at the App Mappings section of your web application to see and change
what the extensions are mapped too.

--
Regards

John Timney (Microsoft ASP.NET MVP)
<shameless_author_plug>
ISBN:1-861007-91-4
Professional Windows Forms
ISBN: 1861005547
Professional JSP 2nd Edition
ISBN: 1861004958
Professional JSP
ISBN: 1861003625
Beginning JSP Web Development
ISBN: 1861002092
</shameless_author_plug>

"Jon Sequeira" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm interested in writing an HttpModule to clean up URLs for a site that's
> in a transitional phase from ASP to ASP.NET. Basically, I'd like to hide
> some very messy querystrings (which are Google-proof-- they use GUIDs as
> query parameters) and use more memorable names in the URLs.
>
> I'd like this module to work for both ASP and ASP.NET pages in the site. I
> understand basically how to do this for my .aspx pages, but how do I tell
> IIS to pass .asp page requests through my ASP.NET module for URL

rewriting,
> and then on to the standard ASP handler?
>
> Any insights are appreciated.
>
> --Jon

Jon Sequeira

Thanks, John.

In researching this, I've come across at least one reference implying that
this limitation was going to be addressed and fixed in IIS6. Do you know
anything about that?

--Jon

"John Timney (Microsoft MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've seen this asked a few times but never seen it work. ASP would have

> be pointed to the ASP.NET ISAPI handler in IIS, then you would need to
> remove the block in machine.config (cant remember the exact setting) that
> dissallows processing of ASP pages by ASP.NET. Potentially the handler
> could intercept the URL request before it realised the target page

contained
> ASP and redirect accordingly.
>
> Look at the App Mappings section of your web application to see and change
> what the extensions are mapped too.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> John Timney (Microsoft ASP.NET MVP)
> <shameless_author_plug>
> Professional .NET for Java Developers with C#
> ISBN:1-861007-91-4
> Professional Windows Forms
> ISBN: 1861005547
> Professional JSP 2nd Edition
> ISBN: 1861004958
> Professional JSP
> ISBN: 1861003625
> Beginning JSP Web Development
> ISBN: 1861002092
> </shameless_author_plug>
>
> "Jon Sequeira" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm interested in writing an HttpModule to clean up URLs for a site

that's
> > in a transitional phase from ASP to ASP.NET. Basically, I'd like to hide
> > some very messy querystrings (which are Google-proof-- they use GUIDs as
> > query parameters) and use more memorable names in the URLs.
> >
> > I'd like this module to work for both ASP and ASP.NET pages in the site.

> > understand basically how to do this for my .aspx pages, but how do I

tell
> > IIS to pass .asp page requests through my ASP.NET module for URL

> rewriting,
> > and then on to the standard ASP handler?
> >
> > Any insights are appreciated.
> >
> > --Jon

gerry

you use ISAPI filters to do this type of url-rewriting before anything hist
asp or asp.net
search msdn for atl sample ISAPIfilter

url filtering vertigo Python 1 12-17-2006 07:24 PM
URL filtering app Rob Cisco 2 01-12-2005 11:48 PM
URL filtering question Rob Cisco 1 10-19-2004 09:23 AM