Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > BBC Acorn roms

BBC Acorn roms

XPD

Anyone remember the old BBC Acorn educational games that many schools had
years ago such as Grannys Garden and Dinosaur Discovery ?
Anyone know where I can get hold of the ROMs for these games ? Had a look
via Google but very little info about these games is available......

There was also another game where you were on an island and had to survive
by mining and building a boat etc...... cant remember the name of it, ring
any bells ?

TIA

RL

XPD wrote:
> Anyone remember the old BBC Acorn educational games that many schools had
> years ago such as Grannys Garden and Dinosaur Discovery ?
> Anyone know where I can get hold of the ROMs for these games ? Had a look
> via Google but very little info about these games is available......
>
> There was also another game where you were on an island and had to survive
> by mining and building a boat etc...... cant remember the name of it, ring
> any bells ?

It has been quite a while since I looked at BBC games. Hopefully there
is a Master Compact emulator available now, because the games weren't
quite as good on the Model B emulator I tried.

Have a look at the BBC Games Archive...

http://www.beebgames.com/welcome.php

The name "Granny's Garden" rings a bell. I'm guessing it was an
adventure game with basic graphics, similar to "Cuthbert Catches A Cold".

When I was a senior in primary school, being one of the few kids with a
computer, I spent quite a bit of time with the new entrant students
supervising their game play... corrupting thier fragile little minds by
asking "Pod" to do all sorts of things.

Pod can run, Pod can pop, what else could Pod do?

RL

XPD

"RL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fesiaj$aic$(E-Mail Removed)...

> It has been quite a while since I looked at BBC games. Hopefully there is
> a Master Compact emulator available now, because the games weren't quite
> as good on the Model B emulator I tried.
>
> Have a look at the BBC Games Archive...
>
> http://www.beebgames.com/welcome.php
>
> The name "Granny's Garden" rings a bell. I'm guessing it was an adventure
> game with basic graphics, similar to "Cuthbert Catches A Cold".
>
> When I was a senior in primary school, being one of the few kids with a
> computer, I spent quite a bit of time with the new entrant students
> supervising their game play... corrupting thier fragile little minds by
> asking "Pod" to do all sorts of things.
>
> Pod can run, Pod can pop, what else could Pod do?
>
> RL

Ah yes GG was another and the follow up, Crystal Kingdom or somehting....
Appears theyve remade them with fancy (yeah right) graphics....but cant
download the original ROMs anywhere.
Actually looks as if the original Dinosaur Discovery is still selling for
upto 30GBP !! Eeep.........

Oh well. I know a couple of school teachers, might get them to poke around
and see if any schools still have the original disks

Michael Foot

XPD wrote:
> Anyone remember the old BBC Acorn educational games that many schools had
> years ago such as Grannys Garden and Dinosaur Discovery ?
> Anyone know where I can get hold of the ROMs for these games ? Had a look
> via Google but very little info about these games is available......

It's not ROMs you need, rather disc or tapes images.

Try:

http://www.stairwaytohell.com/
http://bbc.nvg.org/index.php3
http://www.bbcmicro.net/old-8bs/index_.htm

Cheers,

Mike.

--
Michael Foot <mjfoot(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz> *
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mjfoot/

XPD

"Michael Foot" <(E-Mail Removed).??> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> XPD wrote:
>> Anyone remember the old BBC Acorn educational games that many schools had
>> years ago such as Grannys Garden and Dinosaur Discovery ?
>> Anyone know where I can get hold of the ROMs for these games ? Had a look
>> via Google but very little info about these games is available......

> It's not ROMs you need, rather disc or tapes images.
>
> Try:
>
> http://www.stairwaytohell.com/
> http://bbc.nvg.org/index.php3
> http://www.bbcmicro.net/old-8bs/index_.htm

Cheer for that, 2nd link had Dinosaur Discovery

Damos

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 19:43:18 +1300, XPD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Amazing what you can do this imagination on 32k. I've got a copy of Elite
- new kind which I think was rewritten and ported to pc.
Got up to "dangerous" before the attracted to the darkside of directx etc.

Got my old Acorn electron sitting in the garage, not sure if it still
works though. Hasn't been turned on since 1989.

Damos

--
"It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our

Carl Sagan.

Rhino

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 23:58:26 +1300, Damos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 19:43:18 +1300, XPD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>Amazing what you can do this imagination on 32k. I've got a copy of Elite
>- new kind which I think was rewritten and ported to pc.
>Got up to "dangerous" before the attracted to the darkside of directx etc.
>
>Got my old Acorn electron sitting in the garage, not sure if it still
>works though. Hasn't been turned on since 1989.
>

>Damos

I've got copies of both Elite and Elite 2 for pc here. Great games.
It took meages to be able to enter the space stations without crashing
when I first played Elite.
Cheers, Rhino

RL

Rhino wrote:
> I've got copies of both Elite and Elite 2 for pc here. Great games.
> It took meages to be able to enter the space stations without crashing
> when I first played Elite.
> Cheers, Rhino

Somewhere around here I have the original Elite manual for the BBC
Master Compact version. I wasn't really in to the game myself, but I do
recall landing was a challenge... once you got too close to the space
station, you had no point of reference because the entire space station,
like everything else in the game, was just line drawings.

Repton 3, Ballistix, and Vortex were probably the games I played the most.

RL

Damos

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 20:28:04 +1300, RL <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Rhino wrote:
>> I've got copies of both Elite and Elite 2 for pc here. Great games.
>> It took meages to be able to enter the space stations without crashing
>> when I first played Elite.
>> Cheers, Rhino

> Somewhere around here I have the original Elite manual for the BBC
> Master Compact version. I wasn't really in to the game myself, but I do
> recall landing was a challenge... once you got too close to the space
> station, you had no point of reference because the entire space station,
> like everything else in the game, was just line drawings.
>
> Repton 3, Ballistix, and Vortex were probably the games I played the
> most.

Repton is available as a "widget" with the opera browser....still useful
for procrastination.

D.

--
"It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our
critical faculties in steep decline, unable to distinguish between what
right and what feels good, we slide, almost without noticing, into
superstition and darkness."

Carl Sagan.

fwsseo fwsseo is offline
Junior Member

..
Saregama Kids offers free kids game,jumpstart Games,kids educational games,kids educational rhymes,educational games,educational rhymes.

Please visit..
kids.saregama.com

Boot ROMS for a 2620 CiscoKid Cisco 2 07-13-2005 12:44 PM
Acorn BBC Master REPAIRS... where? CliveFin Computer Information 0 12-14-2003 11:49 AM
Acorn BBC Master 128 Computer + Mass of software CliveFin Computer Information 0 11-17-2003 03:39 PM
_Rumpole_, _Cadfael_ titles from Acorn up for pre-order... Douglas Bailey DVD Video 1 10-30-2003 12:22 AM
Looking for boot roms code and upgrade help for a Cisco 2501 router Jwalling Cisco 4 09-24-2003 11:36 AM

Advertisments