Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > anybody around at the moment?

anybody around at the moment?

blanking

Is there anybody around at the moment and if so could you give me some
advice on what appears to be some major hacking attack on my pc.

collector«NZ

blanking wrote:
> Is there anybody around at the moment and if so could you give me some
> advice on what appears to be some major hacking attack on my pc.

sure just give me your current IP

blanking

"collector«NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:470f09ff$(E-Mail Removed)...
> blanking wrote:
>> Is there anybody around at the moment and if so could you give me some
>> advice on what appears to be some major hacking attack on my pc.

> sure just give me your current IP

192.168.1.136

I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at the
port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything but
utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

collector«NZ

blanking wrote:
> "collector«NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:470f09ff$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> blanking wrote:
>>> Is there anybody around at the moment and if so could you give me some
>>> advice on what appears to be some major hacking attack on my pc.

>> sure just give me your current IP

> 192.168.1.136
>
> I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at the
> port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything but
> utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

When a port is open it is open, it is not limited to one protocol, it is
able to pass all protocols in the TCP and if you are unlucky UDP set.

Some more advanced routers will let you limit what protocols a port is
open for

blanking

"blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
news:470f1560$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "collector«NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:470f09ff$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> blanking wrote:
>>> Is there anybody around at the moment and if so could you give me some
>>> advice on what appears to be some major hacking attack on my pc.

>> sure just give me your current IP

> 192.168.1.136
>
> I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at
> the port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything
> but utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

The port is closed according to shields up but I am getting data sent and
received with no internet applications open and it is this port that is
getting all the attention so is this a contradiction or does the data I see
been sent and received not amount to my port responding to the outside
access?

blanking

"collector«NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:470f0c9e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> blanking wrote:
>> "collector«NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:470f09ff$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> sure just give me your current IP

>> 192.168.1.136
>>
>> I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at
>> the port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything
>> but utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

> When a port is open it is open, it is not limited to one protocol, it is
> able to pass all protocols in the TCP and if you are unlucky UDP set.
>
> Some more advanced routers will let you limit what protocols a port is
> open for

Woops i was not clear, I am no longer using utorrent, I noticed the problem
after closing utorrent down.

blanking

"collector«NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:470f0c9e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some more advanced routers will let you limit what protocols a port is
> open for

As far as i know my router is one of them.

sam

blanking wrote:
> "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
> news:470f1560$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "collector«NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:470f09ff$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> sure just give me your current IP

>> 192.168.1.136
>>
>> I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at
>> the port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything
>> but utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.
>>

> The port is closed according to shields up but I am getting data sent and
> received with no internet applications open and it is this port that is
> getting all the attention so is this a contradiction or does the data I see
> been sent and received not amount to my port responding to the outside
> access?

Open Command Prompt and type netstat -a to see what IPs you are
connecting to on what ports.

Dave Doe

In article <470f1560$(E-Mail Removed)>, blanking@brain says...

> "collector«NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:470f09ff$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > blanking wrote:
> >> Is there anybody around at the moment and if so could you give me some
> >> advice on what appears to be some major hacking attack on my pc.

> > sure just give me your current IP

> 192.168.1.136
>
> I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at the
> port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything but
> utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

It's probably pretty par for the course - I assume utorrent is a
bittorent client.

BTW: your IP addy is wrong, ye've given us your internal (private) IP
addy. (You did that on purpose didn't yer! Your IP will of course,
be in your header info in your post anyway - not that I see any point to
"going that way".

Perhaps you should put some packet sniffing s/w on, and see what's up -
but as said, it's probably quite normal in a P2P situation - unless
perhaps you're running some servers!

--
Duncan

blanking

"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
In article <470f1560$(E-Mail Removed)>, blanking@brain says...

> "collector«NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:470f09ff$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > blanking wrote:
> >> Is there anybody around at the moment and if so could you give me some
> >> advice on what appears to be some major hacking attack on my pc.

> > sure just give me your current IP

> 192.168.1.136
>
> I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at
> the
> port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything but
> utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

It's probably pretty par for the course - I assume utorrent is a
bittorent client.

If I was not seeing data sent and received I would have thought this. I
don't know that I understand the significance of data sent and received
though, could this just be someone pinging my port and my computer replying
to say port is closed, if so then I am not half as worried, can someone
please confirm or deny this understanding for me.