Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon and disconnections

Orcon and disconnections

John

"Sticky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:470dc132$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since last Saturday I've been disconnected every few minutes which is
> bloody annoying. It'll come back up after 5 minutes then off again, not
> straight away but after a few minutes.
>
> Orcon support sent me a form letter that everyone with this complaint
> gets. Bloody useless, I've changed nothing. Before this it was stable.
>
> Since then despite repeated attempts to get their attention - nothing.
>
> The phone calls take in excess of an hour to get connected to a human,
> this is too long.
>
> What are others experiencing ?
>

> --
> Sticky

I thought their service was supposed to be really good. Maybe that is
somthing to do with the Governemnt recently buying it.

~misfit~

Somewhere on the interweb "Sticky" typed:
> Since last Saturday I've been disconnected every few minutes which is
> bloody annoying. It'll come back up after 5 minutes then off again,
> not straight away but after a few minutes.
>
> Orcon support sent me a form letter that everyone with this complaint
> gets. Bloody useless, I've changed nothing. Before this it was stable.
>
> Since then despite repeated attempts to get their attention - nothing.
>
> The phone calls take in excess of an hour to get connected to a human,
> this is too long.
>
> What are others experiencing ?

I had exactly the same thing with Orcon, went on for six weeks. Ultimately
they told me that, while not an ideal situation, they found it acceptable
(up to 50 disconnects a day, average 35). I fixed it by signing up with
Acrtix, they sent a Telecom tech out and he changed my port at the exchange,
been great ever since.
--
TTFN

Shaun.

Richard

John wrote:

> I thought their service was supposed to be really good. Maybe that is
> somthing to do with the Governemnt recently buying it.

No, they just ignore problems when they get too hard, like most SOE's...

Robert Cooze

Sticky wrote:
> Since last Saturday I've been disconnected every few minutes which is
> bloody annoying. It'll come back up after 5 minutes then off again, not
> straight away but after a few minutes.
>
> Orcon support sent me a form letter that everyone with this complaint
> gets. Bloody useless, I've changed nothing. Before this it was stable.
>
> Since then despite repeated attempts to get their attention - nothing.
>
> The phone calls take in excess of an hour to get connected to a human,
> this is too long.
>
> What are others experiencing ?
>

> --
> Sticky

I am with orcon and have had no problems that I know about. I am in
Hamilton In a street/suburb with low ADSL take up so I get a lot of
speed. Now my brother-in-law was getting lots of disconnects and he
reckons his ADSL modem had carped out so he bought a new one, but
everybody in that house hold runs a lot of p2p type of software. He was
with slingshot

Sticky

Since last Saturday I've been disconnected every few minutes which is
bloody annoying. It'll come back up after 5 minutes then off again, not
straight away but after a few minutes.

Orcon support sent me a form letter that everyone with this complaint
gets. Bloody useless, I've changed nothing. Before this it was stable.

Since then despite repeated attempts to get their attention - nothing.

The phone calls take in excess of an hour to get connected to a human,
this is too long.

What are others experiencing ?

--
Sticky

whoisthis

In article <470dc132$(E-Mail Removed)>, Sticky <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Since last Saturday I've been disconnected every few minutes which is
> bloody annoying. It'll come back up after 5 minutes then off again, not
> straight away but after a few minutes.
>
> Orcon support sent me a form letter that everyone with this complaint
> gets. Bloody useless, I've changed nothing. Before this it was stable.
>
> Since then despite repeated attempts to get their attention - nothing.
>
> The phone calls take in excess of an hour to get connected to a human,
> this is too long.
>
> What are others experiencing ?
>

> --
> Sticky

No problems and orcon support has always been excellent when I have
needed it. Of course it may also be the TELECOM line you are using is
the fault, nothing to do with Orcon.

Mutlley

Sticky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Since last Saturday I've been disconnected every few minutes which is
>bloody annoying. It'll come back up after 5 minutes then off again, not
>straight away but after a few minutes.
>
>Orcon support sent me a form letter that everyone with this complaint
>gets. Bloody useless, I've changed nothing. Before this it was stable.
>
>Since then despite repeated attempts to get their attention - nothing.
>
>The phone calls take in excess of an hour to get connected to a human,
>this is too long.
>
>What are others experiencing ?

I'm on Orcon and have had no problems at all. maybe the Telecom
exchange that your ADSL goes thru..

Puddle

Sticky wrote:
> Since last Saturday I've been disconnected every few minutes which is
> bloody annoying. It'll come back up after 5 minutes then off again, not
> straight away but after a few minutes.
>
> Orcon support sent me a form letter that everyone with this complaint
> gets. Bloody useless, I've changed nothing. Before this it was stable.
>
> Since then despite repeated attempts to get their attention - nothing.
>
> The phone calls take in excess of an hour to get connected to a human,
> this is too long.
>
> What are others experiencing ?
>

> --
> Sticky

No problems with Orcon here either.

~misfit~

Somewhere on the interweb "whoisthis" typed:
> In article <470dc132$(E-Mail Removed)>, Sticky
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Since last Saturday I've been disconnected every few minutes which
> > is bloody annoying. It'll come back up after 5 minutes then off
> > again, not straight away but after a few minutes.
> >
> > Orcon support sent me a form letter that everyone with this
> > complaint gets. Bloody useless, I've changed nothing. Before this
> > it was stable.
> >
> > Since then despite repeated attempts to get their attention -
> > nothing.
> >
> > The phone calls take in excess of an hour to get connected to a
> > human, this is too long.
> >
> > What are others experiencing ?
> >

> > --
> > Sticky

> No problems and orcon support has always been excellent when I have
> needed it. Of course it may also be the TELECOM line you are using is
> the fault, nothing to do with Orcon.

That's where you are wrong and exactly the problem that I had with Orcon.
They lease the line from Telecom and, if there's a problem with it, they're
the only ones who can get it fixed. I know, when I was with Orcon and they
refused to involve Telecom, I tried directly. Telecom told me I'd have to go
through my ISP.... Within a week of joining Actrix I had Telecom techs
crawling all over (and under) my house, then agreeing with me that the fault
wasn't mine and changing my port at the exchange. Been sweet ever since.

Orcon messed me around for six weeks, making me unplug all phones for three
days (!), try another brand-new router, even after I'd tried a USB ADSL
modem I have here (Thank goodness DSE have such a liberal returns policy,
ran it for a week then returned it for a refund when it made no difference).
After the six weeks of bullshit and giving me the run-around they said that
they'd decided that 50 disconnects was acceptable and they weren't going to
persue the complaint further. (I'd been a customer of theirs for 18 months
and had always paid my bill within a week of getting it.)

I'm told that Orcon are great as long as you don't have problems. I wouldn't
know about that. If you do have problems you're f^#ked as they refuse to
escalate things to Telecom.

Orcon were/are so far up Telecom's arse that they simply wouldn't bother
them with little things like a customer losing his connection 50 times a
day. Actrix got right onto it.

Saying the Telecom line has nothing to do with Orcon is just plain wrong.
--
TTFN

Shaun.

Craig Shore

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:31:33 +1300, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Orcon messed me around for six weeks, making me unplug all phones for three
>days (!), try another brand-new router, even after I'd tried a USB ADSL
>modem I have here (Thank goodness DSE have such a liberal returns policy,
>ran it for a week then returned it for a refund when it made no difference).
>After the six weeks of bullshit and giving me the run-around they said that
>they'd decided that 50 disconnects was acceptable and they weren't going to
>persue the complaint further. (I'd been a customer of theirs for 18 months
>and had always paid my bill within a week of getting it.)

I had a problem with my connection, and struggled to get ihug to do anything
about it. They just don't believe you that the exchange is ****ed.
In the end I struck someone on the helpdesk that did actually listen to me and I
said I didn't mind paying the charge to get telecom to look at it if nothing was
found. Turned out the port on the dslam was screwed and they replaced it with a
new one.