Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux embeded

Linux embeded

collector«NZ

Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
they say

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...72&modelmenu=1

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, collector«NZ wrote:

> Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
> they say

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...72&modelmenu=1

I asssume this is Splashtop
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/09/devicevm_splashtop/>.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, collector«NZ wrote:

> Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
> they say

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...72&modelmenu=1

Another Asus machine, not embedded as such, but still apparently capable of
a 15-second boot time
<http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/09/rm_asus_launches_minibook/>.

collector«NZ

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, collector«NZ wrote:
>
>> Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
>> they say
>>

> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...72&modelmenu=1
>
> I asssume this is Splashtop
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/09/devicevm_splashtop/>.

Sure is and it is neat

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <470c8787$(E-Mail Removed)>, collector«NZ wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, collector«NZ wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
>>> they say

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...72&modelmenu=1

>> I asssume this is Splashtop
>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/09/devicevm_splashtop/>.

> Sure is and it is neat

I wonder how much they copied from LinuxBIOS...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <470c8787$(E-Mail Removed)>, collector«NZ wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, collector«NZ wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
>>> they say

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...72&modelmenu=1

>> I asssume this is Splashtop
>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/09/devicevm_splashtop/>.

> Sure is and it is neat

Another item from Phoronix
<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=870&num=1>.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <470c8787$(E-Mail Removed)>, collector«NZ wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, collector«NZ wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
>>> they say

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...72&modelmenu=1

>> I asssume this is Splashtop
>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/09/devicevm_splashtop/>.

> Sure is and it is neat

Longer Phoronix item
<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=869&num=1>.

Mutlley

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <470c8787$(E-Mail Removed)>, collector«NZ wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...72&modelmenu=1
>>>
>>> I asssume this is Splashtop
>>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/09/devicevm_splashtop/>.

>> Sure is and it is neat

>Another item from Phoronix
><http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=870&num=1>.

Wonder how long before M$ or Apple tries to sue them out of
existence??

thingy

collector«NZ wrote:
> Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
> they say
>
> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...72&modelmenu=1

I wonder what this means for thin clients......also potentially fault
finding...if you are stuck with a non-booting OS and no second PC to go
google you are so stuffed....

ASUS Express Gate
Surf the Internet in 5-second-boot time without entering Windows
With a fast bootup speed of only 5 seconds, the ASUS Express Gate offers
an optional Linux OS bootup that allows you to enjoy instant access to
commonly used functions like accessing the Internet, VoIP, and Web
emailing without entering the OS.

regards

Thing

thingy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, collector«NZ wrote:
>
>> Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
>> they say
>>

> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...72&modelmenu=1
>
> Another Asus machine, not embedded as such, but still apparently capable of
> a 15-second boot time
> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/09/rm_asus_launches_minibook/>.

Whats with the interest on boot times? I do not see it as a issue.

Consider, most of a PCs life is spent on or off....in-between, my
existing XP box's (OS) boots in 20~30 seconds....

A more interesting part of your posts is the ability not to need a full
OS. Part of MS's "joy" over thick clients is users need the breadth and
depth of a real OS locally....These features show that 3rd parties are
considering and selling product proving this is not the case....More MS
FUD bites the dust.

regards

Thing