Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Should I switch from Actrix to Worldnet?

Reply
Thread Tools

Should I switch from Actrix to Worldnet?

 
 
Jamie Kahn Genet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2007
Right now I'm on Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95
<http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144>

However Worldnet has the same plan for only $59.95
<http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/>

But will Worldnet's service match up to Actrix's excellent phone support
(with people I can actually understand and who understand me) and good
quality ADSL? The one time I phoned Worldnet to try and get a feel for
their service I ended up wishing I hadn't. I got some guy with a thick
accent following a flowchart *huge sigh* Well, I suppose I can live with
that providing I never have to call them...

I'd love to hear what others have experienced.

TIA,
Jamie Kahn Genet

--
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2007
Somewhere on the interweb "Jamie Kahn Genet" typed:
> Right now I'm on Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95
> <http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144>


Includes tolls right? Otherwise that's $99.95

> However Worldnet has the same plan for only $59.95
> <http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/>


I can't see the plan you mean. Does one of the "managed" options cover it? I
cn't find a definition of that term.

> But will Worldnet's service match up to Actrix's excellent phone
> support (with people I can actually understand and who understand me)
> and good quality ADSL? The one time I phoned Worldnet to try and get
> a feel for their service I ended up wishing I hadn't. I got some guy
> with a thick accent following a flowchart *huge sigh* Well, I suppose
> I can live with that providing I never have to call them...


Good luck with that. Seriously.

> I'd love to hear what others have experienced.


I'm happy with Actrix and wouldn't change. Apart from their over-zealous
reaction to a usenet troll's complaint they've been excellent.

(I hope your email in the headers is working, I've emailed you).

Cheers,
--
Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jamie Kahn Genet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2007
~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Somewhere on the interweb "Jamie Kahn Genet" typed:
> > Right now I'm on Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95
> > <http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144>

>
> Includes tolls right? Otherwise that's $99.95


G'day Shaun Yup, I make very few toll calls so I could care less who
provides that service.

> > However Worldnet has the same plan for only $59.95
> > <http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/>

>
> I can't see the plan you mean. Does one of the "managed" options cover it? I
> cn't find a definition of that term.


Down the bottom of the page is a summary of the options selected.
Managed in this respect means a 700 MB per day allowance - exactly what
I get on Actrix now.

> > But will Worldnet's service match up to Actrix's excellent phone
> > support (with people I can actually understand and who understand me)
> > and good quality ADSL? The one time I phoned Worldnet to try and get
> > a feel for their service I ended up wishing I hadn't. I got some guy
> > with a thick accent following a flowchart *huge sigh* Well, I suppose
> > I can live with that providing I never have to call them...

>
> Good luck with that. Seriously.


Heh, thanks It wasn't exactly confidence inspiring!

> > I'd love to hear what others have experienced.

>
> I'm happy with Actrix and wouldn't change. Apart from their over-zealous
> reaction to a usenet troll's complaint they've been excellent.
>
> (I hope your email in the headers is working, I've emailed you).
>
> Cheers,


What's the story there about the complaint, if I may be nosy? My first
thought is - at least they actually take notice of complaints, thought
they should _check_ the situation first before reacting. I assume they
missed that essential step?

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet
--
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2007
In article <1i5qpcy.vsn001s7c87tN%(E-Mail Removed)> , http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
>Right now I'm on Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95
><http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144>
>
>However Worldnet has the same plan for only $59.95
><http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/>
>
>But will Worldnet's service match up to Actrix's excellent phone support
>(with people I can actually understand and who understand me) and good
>quality ADSL? The one time I phoned Worldnet to try and get a feel for
>their service I ended up wishing I hadn't. I got some guy with a thick
>accent following a flowchart *huge sigh* Well, I suppose I can live with
>that providing I never have to call them...
>
>I'd love to hear what others have experienced.


Been happily actrixing for years. Have you thought of telling them that they
are charging too much for that plan and where you can get a similar one
cheaper ?

Who knows ... maybe they will meet the price and everyone is happy ?

 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2007
Somewhere on the interweb "Jamie Kahn Genet" typed:
> ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I'm happy with Actrix and wouldn't change. Apart from their
> > over-zealous reaction to a usenet troll's complaint they've been
> > excellent.

>
> What's the story there about the complaint, if I may be nosy? My first
> thought is - at least they actually take notice of complaints, thought
> they should _check_ the situation first before reacting. I assume they
> missed that essential step?


No actually, they did check, I called the guy a sad vagina, only I used a
word that rhymes with blunt, in a newsgroup. (They quoted the post, suitably
censored for delicate sensibilities) The fact that he actually *is* one and
has been trolling said group for 6 years using an anon remailer seems to
have no bearing on the matter.

He was really upset as I'd managed to link him beyond a doubt to another of
his sockpuppets from several years previous and, in one of those posts, he'd
forgotten to change the 'return to' addy. Basically I stopped his "hiding
behind a remailer and throwing s*#t anonymously" routine. He threw his toys
out of his cot (he *is* an Aussie) and emailed Actrix.

Actrix emailed me with my "one and only warning" as apparently I was in
breach of their T&C (and also posted out the same, including a tree's worth
of paper, their whole T&C).

There is a clause in the T&C which states that you can't use their service
to "cause someone a loss of dignity". Doing so can be fatal to your
contract. Therefore I wouldn't dare suggest that you may be less than
extremely handsome and a genius or you might complain and I'd be up s#%t
creek..... Something to be aware of when choosing an ISP if you get into
berating trolls.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2007
Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Right now I'm on Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95
> <http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144>
>
> However Worldnet has the same plan for only $59.95
> <http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/>
>
> But will Worldnet's service match up to Actrix's excellent phone support
> (with people I can actually understand and who understand me) and good
> quality ADSL? The one time I phoned Worldnet to try and get a feel for
> their service I ended up wishing I hadn't. I got some guy with a thick
> accent following a flowchart *huge sigh* Well, I suppose I can live with
> that providing I never have to call them...
>
> I'd love to hear what others have experienced.
>
> TIA,
> Jamie Kahn Genet


Go WorldXchange with VFX Voice. (http://wxc.co.nz) I am on the beta
Naked DSL (yes I actually have it !) and it rocks.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2007
On 2007-10-10, Tony <tonysusenetemailaddress.removethisbit> wrote:
>
> Go WorldXchange with VFX Voice. (http://wxc.co.nz) I am on the beta
> Naked DSL (yes I actually have it !) and it rocks.


Yes! NDSL is here albeit it in beta form, and it rocks. It looks like 2008
will see some levelling of the playing field.

Good to here this news.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jamie Kahn Genet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2007
~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[snip]
> There is a clause in the T&C which states that you can't use their service
> to "cause someone a loss of dignity". Doing so can be fatal to your
> contract. Therefore I wouldn't dare suggest that you may be less than
> extremely handsome and a genius or you might complain and I'd be up s#%t
> creek..... Something to be aware of when choosing an ISP if you get into
> berating trolls.
>
> Cheers,


LOL. Well, hey. You're a good looking guy, yourself. Damn, we ALL are.
What are the odds?

Gods, what a bullsit clause. Oh ****! I just caused Actrix "loss of
dignity"...

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet
--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large mallet.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jamie Kahn Genet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2007
Bruce Sinclair <(E-Mail Removed) >
wrote:

> In article <1i5qpcy.vsn001s7c87tN%(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote: >Right now I'm on
> Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95
> ><http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144> >
> >However Worldnet has the same plan for only $59.95
> ><http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/>
> >
> >But will Worldnet's service match up to Actrix's excellent phone support
> >(with people I can actually understand and who understand me) and good
> >quality ADSL? The one time I phoned Worldnet to try and get a feel for
> >their service I ended up wishing I hadn't. I got some guy with a thick
> >accent following a flowchart *huge sigh* Well, I suppose I can live with
> >that providing I never have to call them...
> >
> >I'd love to hear what others have experienced.

>
> Been happily actrixing for years. Have you thought of telling them that they
> are charging too much for that plan and where you can get a similar one
> cheaper ?
>
> Who knows ... maybe they will meet the price and everyone is happy ?


Well, I just tried that and was told new plans being tested right now
are coming out "sometime in the future". But they wouldn't say when. I
asked if they'd price match and was told no, the tech support guys
didn't have the authority, but I could try emailing (E-Mail Removed)
and seeing if I got anywhere with management. So I guess I'll try that,
but if that comes to nothing and I fail to see new more competitive
plans soon, well... the economics are easy and I'll be switching to
Worldnet. I just don't use Actrix's excellent support enough to make it
worth staying at that price.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet
--
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lodi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2007
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:24:29 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

> Bruce Sinclair <(E-Mail Removed) >
> wrote:
>
>> In article <1i5qpcy.vsn001s7c87tN%(E-Mail Removed)> ,
>> (E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote: >Right now I'm on
>> Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95
>> ><http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144> > However Worldnet has the
>> >same plan for only $59.95 <http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/>
>> >
>> >But will Worldnet's service match up to Actrix's excellent phone
>> >support (with people I can actually understand and who understand me)
>> >and good quality ADSL? The one time I phoned Worldnet to try and get a
>> >feel for their service I ended up wishing I hadn't. I got some guy
>> >with a thick accent following a flowchart *huge sigh* Well, I suppose
>> >I can live with that providing I never have to call them...
>> >
>> >I'd love to hear what others have experienced.

>>
>> Been happily actrixing for years. Have you thought of telling them that
>> they are charging too much for that plan and where you can get a
>> similar one cheaper ?
>>
>> Who knows ... maybe they will meet the price and everyone is happy ?

>
> Well, I just tried that and was told new plans being tested right now
> are coming out "sometime in the future". But they wouldn't say when. I
> asked if they'd price match and was told no, the tech support guys
> didn't have the authority, but I could try emailing (E-Mail Removed)
> and seeing if I got anywhere with management. So I guess I'll try that,
> but if that comes to nothing and I fail to see new more competitive
> plans soon, well... the economics are easy and I'll be switching to
> Worldnet. I just don't use Actrix's excellent support enough to make it
> worth staying at that price.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet


FWIW I'm still plodding along with Actrix Go Large. Speeds are in the 2MB
to 3MB range down and 256K up. Admittedly not FS/FS but still good enough
for ~60GB per month. Costs $49.95 per month.

No real complaints about Actrix cost, stability of connection or helpdesk
support (not that I've needed the help desk in ages)

Regards
Lodi
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Actrix any good Jerry NZ Computing 12 12-20-2005 12:12 AM
Actrix any good Fred Dagg NZ Computing 0 12-13-2005 02:44 AM
Spam from Actrix? Jerry NZ Computing 10 02-01-2005 08:23 PM
Actrix Jetstream Donnfam Computer Support 1 12-28-2004 06:28 PM
ISP Actrix The GHOST of WOGER. NZ Computing 6 06-28-2004 02:32 AM



Advertisments