Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft must be scared stiff of ODF format

Microsoft must be scared stiff of ODF format

peterwn

I started a thread on this group on Office Software File Formats a few
days ago.

The most prolific posters to this thread (89 postings so far) are:

Bruce Sinclair 11 - supports open formats
Whoisthis 10 - anti-open source / ODF attitude
Impossible 8 - ditto
Sam 9 - concerned with Microsoft lockin
Allistar 7 - Linux supporter
Peter 6 - concerned with Microsoft monopoly
Peterwn 5 - concerned to raise awareness of standards issue / Linux
supporter
Lawrence D'Oliverio 4 - against Microsoft stance

These people account for 60 of the 89 postings so far.

What is interesting is the almighty barrage of postings from the likes
of
Whoisthis and Impossible when options involving Microsoft and other
alternatives are discussed. Granted they do the odd posting on other
topics,
but these tend to be rare.

This is why Microsoft must be very, very afraid when it gets its
shills to
argue back on mant postiongs it sees as adverse.

If I have not probably indicated 'attitudes' in the brief comment
on each poster, my apologies.

Just to re-iterate, organisations need to carefully 'road map' their
options for the future with the impending upheaval in file formats.
While the easy option has been to stick with Microsoft in the last
decade the time has come to consider wether they should continue
to be 'locked in'.

People, especially those with no option to buy shrinkwrap Microsoft
products at full retail price, should not be forced into accepting
proprietary formats from major organisations now that a genuine ISO
standard
format has been defined and acceoted.

impossible

"peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I started a thread on this group on Office Software File Formats a few
> days ago.

Classic troll. Now let's see who bites.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <P4kMi.113805$Xa3.43129@attbi_s22>, impossible wrote:

> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
>>I started a thread on this group on Office Software File Formats a few
>> days ago.

> Classic troll. Now let's see who bites.

You did!

peterwn

On Oct 2, 4:48 pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> >I started a thread on this group on Office Software File Formats a few
> > days ago.

> Classic troll. Now let's see who bites.

Well, my Office Software File Formats thread had had 135 bites so far
(excluding my five postings) and an awful lot of them are yours.

impossible

"peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> On Oct 2, 4:48 pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>
>> >I started a thread on this group on Office Software File Formats a few
>> > days ago.

>> Classic troll. Now let's see who bites.

> Well, my Office Software File Formats thread had had 135 bites so far
> (excluding my five postings) and an awful lot of them are yours.

I see, so all your posts are trolls then. You must be so proud.

thingy

peterwn wrote:
8><----

> This is why Microsoft must be very, very afraid when it gets its
> shills to
> argue back on mant postiongs it sees as adverse.

If you look at some history, it repeats itself...Remember Windows 1.0
and 2.1? bloody awful....Windows 3.0, OK, 3.11 far better, 95 half way
decent, NT4, bit dodgy....win2k, working well, XP good, Vista, well LOL
a dodgy dog......

All during this time people bought Windows as it was just about good
enough and significantly cheaper to buy and ran on cheap x86 boxes as
opposed to arm and leg RISC....OS2 was better, yet it was too late and
too overpriced, IBM did what MS is doing now and lost it, as RISC
vendors did before IBM when against Windows.

What is repeating itself now? in the OS space Linux is cheaper and
generally easily a match for MS in the server space...to such an extent
that picking the OS comes down to best vendor support for the app of
your choice or personal preference for that OS, mostly it does not
matter too much either way...

So what makes people want to choose MS apart from this? answer nothing,
so MS has to lock you in or you may wander....

This competition with a cheaper product was fine for MS 10 years ago
because it was the cheapest....now its no longer the cheapest and this
problem is repeating itself for databases and eventually the desktop....

Hence attempts to de-rail ODF, it has to succeed now in the lockin with
Office 2007, if it does organisations are locked in for
years....Otherwise bang goes one of its biggest money earners and lets
face it in terms of revenue MS needs to have Office and OS highly
profitable because anything else it does looses money hands over
fist....in fact shed loads of it....

At the end of the day the shills in here and elsewhere wont count for
much and neither will what the Linux advocates say...Competent CIOs and
businesses will make sensible decisions and on average prosper better
than ones that dont, its their funeral IMHO.

regards

Thing

Cadae

"peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I started a thread on this group on Office Software File Formats a few
> days ago.
>
> The most prolific posters to this thread (89 postings so far) are:

Troll, troll, troll your boat,
Troll it down the stream
Belts off, Trousers down,
Isn't life a scream - OY!

PC

peterwn

On Oct 2, 3:02 pm, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I started a thread on this group on Office Software File Formats a few
> days ago.
>
> The most prolific posters to this thread (89 postings so far) are:

There have been 175 postings so far.

Well known Microsoft shills Whoisthis and Impossible seem to anxious
to have the 'last word' on pretty well every other posting. Mmmmmm.