Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ~ How do I move all my Outlook Express stuff to a new machine?

~ How do I move all my Outlook Express stuff to a new machine?

~misfit~

Hi folks. As per the subject. I thought that I was clever with my last
machine, made an easilly-accessable folder, called it "OE Store" and pointed
OE to it for saving stuff into. However, when I copy it to my new machine
and point OE to it OE tells me it's found a folder that's been used by OE
before but I get nada on opening OE. (With OEQuotefix) I can't find anything
in Application Data relating to OE.

It would be really nice if I didn't have to start from scratch, setting up
(NNTP) accounts, re-downloading all my groups....

I would very much appreciate some help. Both machines running XP Pro.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Dave Doe

In article <46ff0280$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Hi folks. As per the subject. I thought that I was clever with my last
> machine, made an easilly-accessable folder, called it "OE Store" and pointed
> OE to it for saving stuff into. However, when I copy it to my new machine
> and point OE to it OE tells me it's found a folder that's been used by OE
> before but I get nada on opening OE. (With OEQuotefix) I can't find anything
> in Application Data relating to OE.
>
> It would be really nice if I didn't have to start from scratch, setting up
> (NNTP) accounts, re-downloading all my groups....
>
> I would very much appreciate some help. Both machines running XP Pro.

Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Files and Settings
Transfer Wizard - is probably the easiest way to do the job.

--
Duncan

~misfit~

Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <46ff0280$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> > Hi folks. As per the subject. I thought that I was clever with my
> > last machine, made an easilly-accessable folder, called it "OE
> > Store" and pointed OE to it for saving stuff into. However, when I
> > copy it to my new machine and point OE to it OE tells me it's found
> > a folder that's been used by OE before but I get nada on opening
> > OE. (With OEQuotefix) I can't find anything in Application Data
> > relating to OE.
> >
> > It would be really nice if I didn't have to start from scratch,
> > setting up (NNTP) accounts, re-downloading all my groups....
> >
> > I would very much appreciate some help. Both machines running XP
> > Pro.

> Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Files and Settings
> Transfer Wizard - is probably the easiest way to do the job.

Thanks Dave, I'll have a look at that in a while. I hope it has the option
to just do OE as I've spent the last day setting everything else up as I
like it.

For now; Food, then Formula 1.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Cima

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:19:02 +1300, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dave Doe wrote:
>> In article <46ff0280$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> says...
>> > Hi folks. As per the subject. I thought that I was clever with my
>> > last machine, made an easilly-accessable folder, called it "OE
>> > Store" and pointed OE to it for saving stuff into. However, when I
>> > copy it to my new machine and point OE to it OE tells me it's found
>> > a folder that's been used by OE before but I get nada on opening
>> > OE. (With OEQuotefix) I can't find anything in Application Data
>> > relating to OE.
>> >
>> > It would be really nice if I didn't have to start from scratch,
>> > setting up (NNTP) accounts, re-downloading all my groups....
>> >
>> > I would very much appreciate some help. Both machines running XP
>> > Pro.

>> Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Files and Settings
>> Transfer Wizard - is probably the easiest way to do the job.

>Thanks Dave, I'll have a look at that in a while. I hope it has the option
>to just do OE as I've spent the last day setting everything else up as I
>like it.

You should be able to import the old OE data into the new system, rather than
pointing it to the copied store folder.

E. Scrooge

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave Doe wrote:
>> In article <46ff0280$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> says...
>> > Hi folks. As per the subject. I thought that I was clever with my
>> > last machine, made an easilly-accessable folder, called it "OE
>> > Store" and pointed OE to it for saving stuff into. However, when I
>> > copy it to my new machine and point OE to it OE tells me it's found
>> > a folder that's been used by OE before but I get nada on opening
>> > OE. (With OEQuotefix) I can't find anything in Application Data
>> > relating to OE.
>> >
>> > It would be really nice if I didn't have to start from scratch,
>> > setting up (NNTP) accounts, re-downloading all my groups....
>> >
>> > I would very much appreciate some help. Both machines running XP
>> > Pro.

>> Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Files and Settings
>> Transfer Wizard - is probably the easiest way to do the job.

> Thanks Dave, I'll have a look at that in a while. I hope it has the option
> to just do OE as I've spent the last day setting everything else up as I
> like it.
>
> For now; Food, then Formula 1.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Shaun.

The OE DBX files and folders.dbx are easy enough to find after going though
several folders from Local Settings, but he's blocked that many people the
poor idiot has ****ed himself when wanting help on the location of the OE
folders and files under identitities etc etc.
Anyway it might help others to know that OE files and folders aren't under
Program Files but under Docs and Settings - owner - Local Settings etc etc

E. Scrooge

~misfit~

Cima wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:19:02 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Dave Doe wrote:
> > > In article <46ff0280$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > > (E-Mail Removed) says...

> > > Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Files and Settings
> > > Transfer Wizard - is probably the easiest way to do the job.

> > Thanks Dave, I'll have a look at that in a while. I hope it has the
> > option to just do OE as I've spent the last day setting everything
> > else up as I like it.
> >

> You should be able to import the old OE data into the new system,
> rather than pointing it to the copied store folder.

Yeah, you'd think huh? I tried the settings transfer wizard, went for the
"expert" mode, pointed it at a 2GB USB stick, only ticked OE and off it went
gathering files about everything on the PC. After 20 minutes I hit 'cancel'.

I'll just do it the old-fashioned way I think. Shame I'll lose a lot of
usenet postings that I've put into a 'saved' folder over the last four years
or so that I thought might be handy one day.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Mark Robinson

~misfit~ wrote:
> Cima wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:19:02 +1300, "~misfit~"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Thanks Dave, I'll have a look at that in a while. I hope it has the
>>> option to just do OE as I've spent the last day setting everything
>>> else up as I like it.

>> You should be able to import the old OE data into the new system,
>> rather than pointing it to the copied store folder.

> Yeah, you'd think huh? I tried the settings transfer wizard, went for the
> "expert" mode, pointed it at a 2GB USB stick, only ticked OE and off it went
> gathering files about everything on the PC. After 20 minutes I hit 'cancel'.
> I'll just do it the old-fashioned way I think. Shame I'll lose a lot of
> usenet postings that I've put into a 'saved' folder over the last four years
> or so that I thought might be handy one day.

These data management hassles with OE were one of the major reasons I abandoned
the !@#. I would particularly love to find the email from NASA about the Saturn
V coming down in Wellington Harbour a few years ago, but that's another story.

You have to create the account in OE and point it at the data in just the right
order while holding exactly the right pose to make it work. It's been like that
forever and it is completely stupid. I can't remember the spell.

However, OE is not the only email client in the world. Most seem to have at
lease some sort of import facility. Thunderbird does a reasonable job of OE
data, and there's nothing to stop you running as many different clients as you
like.

~misfit~

Mark Robinson wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > Cima wrote:
> > > You should be able to import the old OE data into the new system,
> > > rather than pointing it to the copied store folder.

> > Yeah, you'd think huh? I tried the settings transfer wizard, went
> > for the "expert" mode, pointed it at a 2GB USB stick, only ticked
> > OE and off it went gathering files about everything on the PC.
> > After 20 minutes I hit 'cancel'. I'll just do it the old-fashioned
> > way I think. Shame I'll lose a lot of usenet postings that I've put
> > into a 'saved' folder over the last four years or so that I thought
> > might be handy one day.

Hi Mark,

> These data management hassles with OE were one of the major reasons I
> abandoned the !@#. I would particularly love to find the email from
> NASA about the Saturn V coming down in Wellington Harbour a few years
> ago, but that's another story.

An interesting one too it seems.

> You have to create the account in OE and point it at the data in just
> the right order while holding exactly the right pose to make it work.
> It's been like that forever and it is completely stupid. I can't
> remember the spell.

Shame.

> However, OE is not the only email client in the world. Most seem to
> have at lease some sort of import facility. Thunderbird does a
> reasonable job of OE data, and there's nothing to stop you running as
> many different clients as you like.

It's not the email. I use an ancient and abandoned programme called Calypso
3 for email. That's really easy to migrate (I have emails going back over
five machines, nearly 10 years) takes no longer than it takes to copy the
mailbox folder between the two machines. <shamefaced look> I only use OE
(with OEQuotefix) for usenet. My last machine (this one, I still haven't
moved over completely) has quite a bit in the "saved" folder, pearls of
wisdom, so rare on usenet, that I've kept for future reference. In future
I'll copy then to a wordprocessor. I'm going to peruse them and copy any
that I still think I need later but it's a PITA.

Thanks for the reply,
--
Shaun.

Alan

Hi Misfit,

The following worked for me (OE6) last year when I did the same thing:

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

For each identity (if you use multiple identities you'd have to do
this separately for each one I think):

On the old machine, locate the email store (Tools, Options,
Maintenance, Store Folder)
Copy the entire contents of that directory to a floppy / CD /
network drive....

On the new machine, select File, Import, Messages....
Choose MSOE6, Next. Import mail from an OE6 store directory, Next.
Browse to the location that you've placed the message store we
saved from your old machine.
Import.

Old: Open up the address book, File, Export, and click on Address
Book (WAB)
New: File, Import, Address Book..., select the address book, and
import.

Old: Tools - Accounts - Export each account
New: Tolls - Accounts - Import each account

Rules (if you use them):

Determine the correct subkey of the HKCU\Identities key.
Select each in turn and check the Username value in the right-hand
pane.
Substitute the value there for [ID] in the key below.

HKCU\Identities\[ID]\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\5.0\Rules\Mail

Select the key and choose Export from the Registry menu.
Open the REG file
Replace source identity string with that of the target.
Delete the above key on the target machine using the target
identity string.
Move the resulting REG file to the target computer and run it

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

There was an application available from the MS website once upon a
time that did all that for you, but I couldn't find it when I just did
a quick search.

I did it manually myself - it only took about 10 mins all up for me.

Can't make an guarantees and your lookout if it goes awry!!

HTH,
--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

news:46ff0280$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks. As per the subject. I thought that I was clever with my
> last machine, made an easilly-accessable folder, called it "OE
> Store" and pointed OE to it for saving stuff into. However, when I
> copy it to my new machine and point OE to it OE tells me it's found
> a folder that's been used by OE before but I get nada on opening OE.
> (With OEQuotefix) I can't find anything in Application Data relating
> to OE.
>
> It would be really nice if I didn't have to start from scratch,
> setting up (NNTP) accounts, re-downloading all my groups....
>
> I would very much appreciate some help. Both machines running XP
> Pro.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Shaun.

Gordon

On 2007-09-30, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Cima wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:19:02 +1300, "~misfit~"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

> I'll just do it the old-fashioned way I think. Shame I'll lose a lot of
> usenet postings that I've put into a 'saved' folder over the last four years
> or so that I thought might be handy one day.

Have you tried the MS site and the knowledge base?

For some strange reason once the right edition is found you just follow the
instructions and it works. Well worked for me on several occassions.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670/ should get you near what you want

SUMMARY
This article describes how to back up and to restore the following items in
Microsoft Outlook Express:
• Messages
• The Address Book
• Mail accounts
• News accounts
If you use multiple identities in Outlook Express, repeat the steps in the
"More Information" section for each identity, and separate the backup data
accordingly. This process will make it easier to restore each identity.

This article is intended for a beginning to intermediate computer user.You
may find it easier to follow the steps if you print this article first.