Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Virtualization question - Kubuntu

Virtualization question - Kubuntu

Lodi

Hi all...Using Kubuntu Feisty. I have a CD from a medical reference book.
It's demanding that I install Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player
and something from the VB library to view the interactive lessons.

Wine hasn't been of any use. I'm guessing I need to run a Virtual MS PC.
I've not had anything to do with running virtual machines before so can
anyone give me some pointers e.g google keywords, suitable software.

No need for anyone to suggest installing an MS operating system cos it
ain't gonna happen.

Regards
Lodi

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <fdi83j$ocv$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lodi wrote:

> I'm guessing I need to run a Virtual MS PC.

A virtual PC is just (virtual) hardware, not an OS. You still need to
install an OS to run on the virtual hardware.

lolinternet

Lodi wrote:
> Wine hasn't been of any use. I'm guessing I need to run a Virtual MS PC.
> I've not had anything to do with running virtual machines before so can
> anyone give me some pointers e.g google keywords, suitable software.

VMWare will provide you with a virtual PC.

You'll still have to install Windows into that virtual PC however.

It'll give you Windows in a nice tidy sandbox, in a window on your
Ubuntu system.

Enkidu

Lodi wrote:
> Hi all...Using Kubuntu Feisty. I have a CD from a medical reference book.
> It's demanding that I install Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player
> and something from the VB library to view the interactive lessons.
>
> Wine hasn't been of any use. I'm guessing I need to run a Virtual MS PC.
> I've not had anything to do with running virtual machines before so can
> anyone give me some pointers e.g google keywords, suitable software.
>
> No need for anyone to suggest installing an MS operating system cos it
> ain't gonna happen.

You could use VMWare Server (100+MB download), but as Lawrence says,
you'd still need to install a MS Operating System.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Lodi

>On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:58:35 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

> You could use VMWare Server (100+MB download), but as Lawrence says,
> you'd still need to install a MS Operating System.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Hi all...Thanks for the info.

So does this mean I download VMWare Player,
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

then install it, then grab my old Win98 disk and install that in VMWare.

Do I have to do something to my Win98 disk to make it into a virtual
operating system. I'm guessing there aren't any pre-configured virtual MS
operating systems.

All advice appreciated.

Regards
Lodi

Mark Robinson

Lodi wrote:
> Hi all...Using Kubuntu Feisty. I have a CD from a medical reference book.
> It's demanding that I install Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player
> and something from the VB library to view the interactive lessons.
>
> Wine hasn't been of any use. I'm guessing I need to run a Virtual MS PC.
> I've not had anything to do with running virtual machines before so can
> anyone give me some pointers e.g google keywords, suitable software.
>
> No need for anyone to suggest installing an MS operating system cos it
> ain't gonna happen.
>
> Regards
> Lodi

It may be more profitable to explore other applications that can display the
files rather than emulating the entire operating system.

What can you tell us about the files ?

The commandline file utility should give you some information on the file if
kubuntu recognises it at all or you may get some information by holding the
mouse over the filename in your filemanager of choice.

Enkidu

Lodi wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:58:35 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

>> You could use VMWare Server (100+MB download), but as Lawrence says,
>> you'd still need to install a MS Operating System.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff

> Hi all...Thanks for the info.
>
> So does this mean I download VMWare Player,
> http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
>
> then install it, then grab my old Win98 disk and install that in VMWare.
>
> Do I have to do something to my Win98 disk to make it into a virtual
> operating system. I'm guessing there aren't any pre-configured virtual MS
> operating systems.

It will all become clear when you do it.....<grin>

You install VMWare Server. Then you create a virtual machine in it. Then
you install an OS inside the VM. To do that you boot the virtual machine
from the Win98 CD,

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Enkidu

Lodi wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:58:35 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

>> You could use VMWare Server (100+MB download), but as Lawrence says,
>> you'd still need to install a MS Operating System.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff

> Hi all...Thanks for the info.
>
> So does this mean I download VMWare Player,
> http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

I would say download the VMWare Server - it is free. As you probably
figured the VMWare Player only 'plays' existing VMs.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Enkidu wrote:
> Lodi wrote:
>
>>> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:58:35 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

>>> You could use VMWare Server (100+MB download), but as Lawrence says,
>>> you'd still need to install a MS Operating System.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Cliff

>> Hi all...Thanks for the info.
>> So does this mean I download VMWare Player,
>> http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
>>

> I would say download the VMWare Server - it is free. As you probably
> figured the VMWare Player only 'plays' existing VMs.

Not exactly true. You can setup a VM with the following...

- VMplayer
- An install disk(s) for your fave OS
- A blank VMware disk image (plenty available on the net)
- An example of the *.vmx config file

With a small amount of fiddling in the config file you will
be able to boot and install the OS. I've setup several VM's,
with both Windows and Linux guesting on my openSUSE host. It
works nicely...with 1GB of real RAM I can run a 512MB VM and
get pretty good performance simultaneously in the VM and on
the host, with a midrange Athlon64 3000+ system.

Here is XP Home running in a VM with some hefty software as
well...

http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/vmplayer.jpg

It can be done, with only a small amount of 'fiddling'...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
"Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
or not they wanted all these wars"...

Enkidu

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi there,

>>> Hi all...Thanks for the info.
>>> So does this mean I download VMWare Player,
>>> http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
>>>

>> I would say download the VMWare Server - it is free. As you probably
>> figured the VMWare Player only 'plays' existing VMs.

> Not exactly true. You can setup a VM with the following...
>
> - VMplayer
> - An install disk(s) for your fave OS
> - A blank VMware disk image (plenty available on the net)
> - An example of the *.vmx config file
>
> With a small amount of fiddling in the config file you will
> be able to boot and install the OS. I've setup several VM's,
> with both Windows and Linux guesting on my openSUSE host. It
> works nicely...with 1GB of real RAM I can run a 512MB VM and
> get pretty good performance simultaneously in the VM and on
> the host, with a midrange Athlon64 3000+ system.
>
> Here is XP Home running in a VM with some hefty software as
> well...
>
> http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/vmplayer.jpg
>
> It can be done, with only a small amount of 'fiddling'...

The question remains, though, why? VMWare Server is free and fully
functioned. VMWarePlayer is free, but it's a fiddle to install anything?

I have 15 VMs (DOS, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP etc, and
Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora etc) all running in VMWare
server. Not all at once of course.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?