Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Why Microsoft must abandon Vista to save itself

Why Microsoft must abandon Vista to save itself

Brian Adams

"Don Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it has turned
out to be one of the biggest blunders in Microsoft's history, not my personal
view but a good read all the same. Place your vote by clicking "Member Poll"
bottom right of this article if you agree or not.

While Vista was originally touted by Microsoft as the operating system savior
we've all been waiting for, it has turned out to be one of the biggest
blunders in technology. With a host of issues that are inexcusable and
features that are taken from the Mac OS X and Linux playbook, Microsoft has
once again lost sight of what we really want."

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-978...&subj=NewsBlog

thingy

Brian Adams wrote:
> "Don Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it has turned
> out to be one of the biggest blunders in Microsoft's history, not my personal
> view but a good read all the same. Place your vote by clicking "Member Poll"
> bottom right of this article if you agree or not.
>
> While Vista was originally touted by Microsoft as the operating system savior
> we've all been waiting for, it has turned out to be one of the biggest
> blunders in technology. With a host of issues that are inexcusable and
> features that are taken from the Mac OS X and Linux playbook, Microsoft has
> once again lost sight of what we really want."
>

> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-978...&subj=NewsBlog

Just the best example of OS vapourware in history so far....where did
all those features go, and it still runs like a dog...

Never mind for 2009 (or 2010) I'm sure MS will exceed our expectations
yet again...

;]

Roll on my new Mac....drool....today's OS today....(having to save first
though)...not some vague promise 2~3 years away...

regards

Thing

Geoff

thingy wrote:
> Brian Adams wrote:
>> "Don Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it

Why are 99% of Mac and Linux religous devotees' posts about Windows ?

geoff

none

Geoff wrote:
> Why are 99% of Mac and Linux religous devotees' posts about Windows ?

That's a harsh generalisation.

Mac user at home, *nux admin at work - and I'm more than sick of
Lawrence, Peter et al and their continual stream of drivel.

That said, the pro windows guys are just as bad.

Shane

Geoff wrote:

> thingy wrote:
>> Brian Adams wrote:
>>> "Don Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it

> Why are 99% of Mac and Linux religous devotees' posts about Windows ?
>
> geoff

Why couldnt you see that the OP was Roger?

--
Hardware: n, Parts of a computer that you can kick.

John

"Brian Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Don Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it has
> turned
> out to be one of the biggest blunders in Microsoft's history, not my
> personal
> view but a good read all the same. Place your vote by clicking "Member
> Poll"
> bottom right of this article if you agree or not.
>
> While Vista was originally touted by Microsoft as the operating system
> savior
> we've all been waiting for, it has turned out to be one of the biggest
> blunders in technology. With a host of issues that are inexcusable and
> features that are taken from the Mac OS X and Linux playbook, Microsoft
> has
> once again lost sight of what we really want."
>

> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-978...&subj=NewsBlog

It is really just a minor progression from windows xp, with more eye candy.
I don't believe it is that bad, although I think it sucks that it won't run
my 3 year old hp scanner. I have to setup my computer as a dual boot PC
running vista ult, and win 2000.

Patrick FitzGerald

Serves Microsoft right, that Vista is not selling.

With Vista Micr$oftthey abanided the rights and needs of the user to
serve the needsof the DRM mafia. To do thats a lot of the power of
the computer and software is devoted to serving the DRM mafia..

Vista is Palladium it is designed to make you the untrusted user of
the hardware and software that you have paid for.

Patrick

thingy

Geoff wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> Brian Adams wrote:
>>> "Don Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it

> Why are 99% of Mac and Linux religous devotees' posts about Windows ?
>
> geoff

Well from what I can see that is incorrect, anyway since I am using all
three,

As a Mac newbie I find Macs have few weaknesses apart from having to pay
a premium for admittedly nice hardware and the software is way over
priced...dont need virus checkers either.....my partner loves 'em and we
will get fusion or parallels as an add on.

As a Linux user I find Linux's biggest weakness the fact that most games
are Windows PC only...dont need virus checkers can run all else I want
for zero cost.

As a Windows user I find its nature an illogical frustration.

As a typical example the night before last I attempted to install Nero
showtime on my games machine for my child to watch DVDs (as that
machine's dvd drive had died.) Only to see it fail with something called
advcnrt2.dll is missing error....Nero re-installs failed, googling I
downloaded the dll and registered it manually and tried installs,
un-installs and re-installs all failed with a fatal error please
re-install after 3 plus hours Nero is now permanently dead on this
machine it seems. So I googled for a free dvd player which works fine.
Last night I put Nero showtime on my partner's games PC and nero
installed and was working in oh 15mins max. I dont get this crap with
Linux or Macs...

Further the windows PC games are the best priced but the OS is the most
expensive, a full OSX retail is about $210. Vista? up to $900 for
"ultimate" guess that is short for ultimate rip off....

regards

Thing

thingy

John wrote:
> "Brian Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Don Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it has
>> turned
>> out to be one of the biggest blunders in Microsoft's history, not my
>> personal
>> view but a good read all the same. Place your vote by clicking "Member
>> Poll"
>> bottom right of this article if you agree or not.
>>
>> While Vista was originally touted by Microsoft as the operating system
>> savior
>> we've all been waiting for, it has turned out to be one of the biggest
>> blunders in technology. With a host of issues that are inexcusable and
>> features that are taken from the Mac OS X and Linux playbook, Microsoft
>> has
>> once again lost sight of what we really want."
>>

>> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-978...&subj=NewsBlog

> It is really just a minor progression from windows xp, with more eye candy.
> I don't believe it is that bad, although I think it sucks that it won't run
> my 3 year old hp scanner. I have to setup my computer as a dual boot PC
> running vista ult, and win 2000.

Seems typical of HP, I have 2 or 3 HP burners which HP did not supply
drivers or software for when I wanted to upgrade to 2000 or then XP...I
could have bought HP's upgrade software at a "special" $150....or just
buy Nero at $30 odd which is what I did.

regards

thing

Jonathan Walker

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:35:36 +1200, thingy wrote:

>> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-978...&subj=NewsBlog

> Just the best example of OS vapourware in history so far....where did
> all those features go, and it still runs like a dog...

However, it is working as intended for Micro$oft's primary customers - the
RIAA and MPAA.

You don't really thing anybody else's needs rated consideration, do you?
;o)

--
Jonathan Walker