Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What's with Slingshot news server?

What's with Slingshot news server?

Nighthawk

I've had a lot of trouble getting headers recently, especially on 11th
when I could get none. Of course this is not covered in the Slingshot
Net status report.

Peter

Nighthawk wrote:
> I've had a lot of trouble getting headers recently, especially on 11th
> when I could get none. Of course this is not covered in the Slingshot
> Net status report.

Yes, it was timing out all evening (Tuesday 11 Sept).
Also, there was some problems one day last week, when my news client gave
error message; "error 499 - remote server down?"
This seemed to clear after I sent in a question via the on line form.

It appears there are ongoing problems with the news server at Slingshot.

Peter

John

> Nighthawk wrote:
>> I've had a lot of trouble getting headers recently, especially on 11th
>> when I could get none. Of course this is not covered in the Slingshot
>> Net status report.

> Yes, it was timing out all evening (Tuesday 11 Sept).
> Also, there was some problems one day last week, when my news client gave
> error message; "error 499 - remote server down?"
> This seemed to clear after I sent in a question via the on line form.
>
> It appears there are ongoing problems with the news server at Slingshot.
>

> Peter

They will probably end up dropping it. Then I will also shift ISP, as I have
been waiting for another reason apart from the poor connection speeds in the
evening.

Nighthawk

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 06:55:17 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Nighthawk wrote:
>> I've had a lot of trouble getting headers recently, especially on 11th
>> when I could get none. Of course this is not covered in the Slingshot
>> Net status report.

>Yes, it was timing out all evening (Tuesday 11 Sept).
>Also, there was some problems one day last week, when my news client gave
>error message; "error 499 - remote server down?"
>This seemed to clear after I sent in a question via the on line form.
>
>It appears there are ongoing problems with the news server at Slingshot.

This is the first time I have managed to get back in since I posted
the original message. I was also getting the 499 error message
earlier in the week.