Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Desktop supercomputer in the works

Desktop supercomputer in the works

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <fc03sj$n3e$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mickey Mouse wrote:

> "The machine uses three field-programmable gate array chips from Xilinx
> Inc. to represent a network of 64 ARM procĀ*essors that control dozens of
> threads of simultaneous computation"

ARM processors? Wonder what operating system they might run...

Mickey Mouse

A system running 100 times faster than a current PC?

"The machine uses three field-programmable gate array chips from Xilinx Inc.
to represent a network of 64 ARM proc*essors that control dozens of threads
of simultaneous computation"

"The team is now trying to shrink the prototype, a license-plate-size board
running at 75 MHz, down to a fingernail-size version running between 1 GHz
and 2 GHz."

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...ticleId=301449

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <fc05ei$r2k$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mickey Mouse wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:fc04nr$aa2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> In message <fc03sj$n3e$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mickey Mouse wrote:
>>
>>> "The machine uses three field-programmable gate array chips from Xilinx
>>> Inc. to represent a network of 64 ARM procĀ*essors that control dozens of
>>> threads of simultaneous computation"

>> ARM processors? Wonder what operating system they might run...

> Who knows? Windows CE is currently in the ARM market...

But not really designed for supercomputing, is it?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <fc0685$smb$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mickey Mouse wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:fc05jm$aa2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In message <fc05ei$r2k$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mickey Mouse wrote:
>>
>>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
>>> message news:fc04nr$aa2$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Who knows? Windows CE is currently in the ARM market...

>> But not really designed for supercomputing, is it?

> But we do know that Microsoft has entered into the HPC market with Windows
> Compute Cluster Server 2003

Does that run on ARM?

Mickey Mouse

In message <fc06j6$ts0$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mickey Mouse wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:fc06ct$av4$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> But we do know that Microsoft has entered into the HPC market with
>>> Windows Compute Cluster Server 2003

>> Does that run on ARM?

> Well, we're talking about a system that is at least 3 years away from
> being a commercial reality.

As opposed to this system <http://theinquirer.net/?article=42050>, which you
can build for yourself, at modest cost, right now. Fits in a suitcase, too.
And guess what it runs?

> Can't you put the pieces together?

Yeah, it took Microsoft 3 years to bring out Compute Cluster Server 2003,
and I don't think it's been much of a success. So the chances of Microsoft
porting it to another processor architecture, like ARM? Zero.

Mickey Mouse

news:fc05jm$aa2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <fc05ei$r2k$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mickey Mouse wrote:
>
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>> news:fc04nr$aa2$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> ARM processors? Wonder what operating system they might run...

>> Who knows? Windows CE is currently in the ARM market...

> But not really designed for supercomputing, is it?

But we do know that Microsoft has entered into the HPC market with Windows
Compute Cluster Server 2003

http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.c...264432,00.html

Squiggle

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <fc03sj$n3e$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mickey Mouse wrote:
>
>> "The machine uses three field-programmable gate array chips from Xilinx
>> Inc. to represent a network of 64 ARM procĀ*essors that control dozens of
>> threads of simultaneous computation"

> ARM processors? Wonder what operating system they might run...

From what I can tell it doesn't run one at all, cross-compiled binary
is loaded and run natively without an underlying OS.

Oh, and for what its worth:
Frequently Asked Questions:

Q. Will this new technology help improve Macs as well?

A. Yes! The technology is "orthogonal" to the operating system (OS), and
is relevant for Windows, Linux, Mac OSs, or any other OS.

Would you like a ladder or can you get down of your high horse all by
yourself?

Mickey Mouse

In message <46e3a1d1$(E-Mail Removed)>, Squiggle wrote:

> Would you like a ladder or can you get down of your high horse all by
> yourself?

Oh look, they even have a collection of articles, specs and code available
for download here <http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~vishkin/XMT/index.shtml>.

What's this xcc cross-compiler program, then? Shell scripts? ELF
executables? Hmm, doesn't look like it'll run under Dimdows...