Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft's browser market share drops 9.5 percent in a year

Microsoft's browser market share drops 9.5 percent in a year

sam

whoisthis wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
>>
>> "" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
>> percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
>> Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""
>>
>> That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.

> Yada yada yada, Microsoft LEFT the browser Market for Macs years ago.

They wouldn't make much of a bump in the stats
The share on Windows would never go below 50% even if every user
downloaded an alternative browser because there is an MS browser built in.

Bongo

On 9 Sep 2007 16:57:11 +1200, Jonathan Walker wrote:

> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
>
> "" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
> percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
> Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""
>
> That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.

"" Did you cum when you read that? ""

Jonathan Walker

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:58:44 +1200, Peter wrote:

> Some more stats here. As always, the trends are usually more important than
> the absolute numbers.
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Interesting. Thanks for posting that URL. I've bookmarked if for future
reference.

--
Jonathan Walker

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:09:55 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
>
> > Yada yada yada, Microsoft LEFT the browser Market for Macs years ago.

> We all know that M$ has no interest in developing software for any platform
> other than its own.

Actually MS office is a better product than anything else out there on
the Mac.

thingy

Jonathan Walker wrote:
> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
>
> "" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
> percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
> Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""
>
> That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.

and IIS's market share has grown v Apache....

regards

thing

thingy

whoisthis wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:09:55 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
>>
>>> Yada yada yada, Microsoft LEFT the browser Market for Macs years ago.

>> We all know that M$ has no interest in developing software for any platform
>> other than its own.

> Actually MS office is a better product than anything else out there on
> the Mac.

Depends on your definition of "better" A big part of mine is
cost/performance. Something like oOo wins because it may not have all
the bells and whistles of MS Office (which I dont use anyway) but its
zero cost make it unbeatable.

regards

Thing

Matty F

Jonathan Walker wrote:
> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
>
> "" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
> percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
> Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""
>
> That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.

How did they measure browser usage? Because of absurd decisions by
Xtra and Yahoo to only support two browsers, I have set my Opera
browser to pretend that it is IE.
So any website that I go to will get the wrong browser statistics.

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> whoisthis wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> We all know that M$ has no interest in developing software for any platform
> >> other than its own.

> > Actually MS office is a better product than anything else out there on
> > the Mac.

> Depends on your definition of "better" A big part of mine is
> cost/performance. Something like oOo wins because it may not have all
> the bells and whistles of MS Office (which I dont use anyway) but its
> zero cost make it unbeatable.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Price is not an option for me, compatibility is. The most expensive part
of the computer is the user, not the software.

Jonathan Walker

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:26:34 +1200, thingy wrote:

> and IIS's market share has grown v Apache....

It's probably worth pointing out that what has grown is the number of
domain names being hosted by IIS. What appears to have not grown (or at
least is the number of actual servers running IIS.

IMHO, the increased number of sub-domains under, for example, myspace.com
does not and should not count as an increase in the number of installations
of IIS per se.

However, if the number of actual hosts running IIS increases, then IIS
should show a corresponding increase.

--
Jonathan Walker

Jonathan Walker

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:29:14 +1200, thingy wrote:

> Depends on your definition of "better" A big part of mine is
> cost/performance. Something like oOo wins because it may not have all
> the bells and whistles of MS Office (which I dont use anyway) but its
> zero cost make it unbeatable.

And OOo is "good enough" for what most persons need.

--
Jonathan Walker