Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft's browser market share drops 9.5 percent in a year

Microsoft's browser market share drops 9.5 percent in a year

Jonathan Walker

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/

"" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""

That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.

--
Jonathan Walker

Gordon

On 2007-09-09, Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
>
> "" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
> percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
> Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""
>
> That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.

Good, what is needed is for all browsers to hold a representive share. It
helps to discourage the vandals. Also helps the competition be alive and
well.

Dave Taylor

Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:5khd2vF3klm2U1
@mid.individual.net:

> Good, what is needed is for all browsers to hold a representive share. It
> helps to discourage the vandals. Also helps the competition be alive and
> well.

And promotes W3C coding specs.

--
Ciao, Dave

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
>
> "" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
> percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
> Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""
>
> That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.

Yada yada yada, Microsoft LEFT the browser Market for Macs years ago.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, whoisthis wrote:

> ... Microsoft LEFT the browser Market for Macs years ago.

Who mentioned Macs?

Jonathan Walker

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:09:55 +1200, whoisthis wrote:

> Yada yada yada, Microsoft LEFT the browser Market for Macs years ago.

We all know that M$ has no interest in developing software for any platform
other than its own.

--
Jonathan Walker

Jonathan Walker

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:45:45 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>> ... Microsoft LEFT the browser Market for Macs years ago.

> Who mentioned Macs?

Browsers exist on Macintosh computers. Micro$oft no longer develops a
browser for the Macintosh.

--
Jonathan Walker

Peter

Gordon wrote:
> On 2007-09-09, Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
>> "" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
>> percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
>> Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""
>>
>> That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.
>>

> Good, what is needed is for all browsers to hold a representive share. It
> helps to discourage the vandals. Also helps the competition be alive and
> well.

Yes, the idea situation would be no one browser with more than about 20%
market share. This would provide users with real choice, and prevent
anyone exerting monopoly powers. More browsers also make it difficult for
the bad guys, as it is easier if the malware only has to find
vulnerabilities in one type of browser.

Some more stats here. As always, the trends are usually more important than
the absolute numbers.

Peter

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jonathan Walker wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:45:45 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>>> ... Microsoft LEFT the browser Market for Macs years ago.

>> Who mentioned Macs?

> Browsers exist on Macintosh computers. Micro$oft no longer develops a
> browser for the Macintosh.

The relevance to the original item being...?

Fred Dagg

On 9 Sep 2007 16:57:11 +1200, Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
>
>"" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
>percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
>Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""
>
>That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.

"At the expense of" Firefox?

How does that work?