Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Imitate Linux security on XP

Imitate Linux security on XP

Lodi

Hi all....I know this is going to come across as a troll but it's not.

The one thing that I really like about Kubuntu is its security aspect.
Passwords for everything but my own home folder.

How do I duplicate that in XP. I'm resigned to the fact that familiarity
with XP is more important to various family members than computer
security. So is it possible to set up XP so that "My Documents" and sub-
folders is password free (similar to "Home Folder" in Kubuntu) but that
everything else (and I mean every other single folder/file/service/action/
etc) requires a password (as is the case with Kubuntu).

I'm guessing that it's something to do with XP administrator rights but I
know zilch about that. Just a few google keywords or website links would
be enough to get me going. Please don't start O/S flaming.

Regards
Lodi

Squiggle

Lodi wrote:
> Hi all....I know this is going to come across as a troll but it's not.
>
> The one thing that I really like about Kubuntu is its security aspect.
> Passwords for everything but my own home folder.
>
> How do I duplicate that in XP. I'm resigned to the fact that familiarity
> with XP is more important to various family members than computer
> security. So is it possible to set up XP so that "My Documents" and sub-
> folders is password free (similar to "Home Folder" in Kubuntu) but that
> everything else (and I mean every other single folder/file/service/action/
> etc) requires a password (as is the case with Kubuntu).
>
> I'm guessing that it's something to do with XP administrator rights but I
> know zilch about that. Just a few google keywords or website links would
> be enough to get me going. Please don't start O/S flaming.
>
> Regards
> Lodi

If you have XP Professional you can use security policies.

start from here and good hunting:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...ttopnode.mspx?

If you have xp home AFAIK you are pretty much out of luck.

peterwn

Squiggle wrote:

> If you have XP Professional you can use security policies.

As long as the NTFS rather than FAT file system is used. When
installing XP you have a choice of file system. If you have a laptop
with a rescue CD, it restores the file system originally chosen which
for a few laptops I deal with is FAT, so it seems security policies are
not possible.

Shane

peterwn wrote:

> Squiggle wrote:
>

>> If you have XP Professional you can use security policies.
>>

> As long as the NTFS rather than FAT file system is used. When
> installing XP you have a choice of file system. If you have a laptop
> with a rescue CD, it restores the file system originally chosen which
> for a few laptops I deal with is FAT, so it seems security policies are
> not possible.

You can convert FAT32 to NTFS. It's a one way conversion.
--
Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. 1, he gives the lightbulb to 3 engineers, thus reducing the problem to a