Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > reformatting an external hard drive

reformatting an external hard drive

darkknight

I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
it has a problem.

I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
error
'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.

I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).

Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
suggestions ?

Thanks

Greg House

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:38:05 +1200, darkknight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
>it has a problem.
>
>I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
>data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
>some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
>of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
>folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
>try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
>error
>'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
>
>I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
>
>Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
>suggestions ?
>
>Thanks

Mine has the Same File you can't delete it as its read only and a system file..

It was there from the start Zero bytes..

darkknight

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
>it has a problem.
>
>I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
>data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
>some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
>of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
>folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
>try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
>error
>'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
>
>I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
>
>Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
>suggestions ?
>
>Thanks

Replying to myself.

chkdsk found no errors on the new drive and after turning on "show
system folders" my lost folder reappeared - somehow Windows decided to
make my (compressed) folder a system folder as well - so now I've
deleted all its subfolders and I'm just left with "System Volume
Information" which I believe is associated with system restore and can
apparently be deleted by temporarily turning off system restore - but
I don't want to do that coz all restore points are lost.

Now I just need some backup software that knows not to backup things
like Sys Volume Info and doesn't rely on the archive attribute...

darkknight

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 22:06:29 +1200, Greg House <(E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:38:05 +1200, darkknight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
>>it has a problem.
>>
>>I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
>>data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
>>some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
>>of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
>>folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
>>try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
>>error
>>'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
>>
>>I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
>>
>>Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
>>suggestions ?
>>
>>Thanks

>Mine has the Same File you can't delete it as its read only and a system file..
>

>It was there from the start Zero bytes..

My external hard drive has one of these in the root too but the one
I'm trying to delete is in a subfolder - it got copied there from C
drive during a backup.

Greg House

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:38:05 +1200, darkknight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
>it has a problem.
>
>I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
>data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
>some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
>of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
>folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
>try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
>error
>'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
>
>I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
>
>Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
>suggestions ?
>
>Thanks

This is a suggestion reported, but was quoted that it does not work with a USB Drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531

My drive is formatted NTFS

Greg House

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:38:05 +1200, darkknight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
>it has a problem.
>
>I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
>data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
>some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
>of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
>folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
>try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
>error
>'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
>
>I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
>
>Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
>suggestions ?
>
>Thanks

Here are 2 links but one was quoted that it does not work with a USB Drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

My drive is formatted NTFS

Greg House

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:38:05 +1200, darkknight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
>it has a problem.
>
>I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
>data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
>some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
>of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
>folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
>try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
>error
>'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
>
>I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
>
>Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
>suggestions ?
>
>Thanks

Here are 2 links but one was quoted that it does not work with a USB Drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

One more

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#SRFileLocation

My drive is formatted NTFS

darkknight

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 22:47:22 +1200, Greg House <(E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:38:05 +1200, darkknight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
>>it has a problem.
>>
>>I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
>>data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
>>some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
>>of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
>>folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
>>try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
>>error
>>'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
>>
>>I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
>>
>>Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
>>suggestions ?
>>
>>Thanks

>Here are 2 links but one was quoted that it does not work with a USB Drive.
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531
>

>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
>

>One more
>

>http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#SRFileLocation
>

>My drive is formatted NTFS

For some reason the folder properties dialog doesn't show a security
tab (even on C drive) so those MS support suggestions don't work for
me, but thanks.

Greg House

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:38:05 +1200, darkknight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
>it has a problem.
>
>I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
>data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
>some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
>of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
>folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
>try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
>error
>'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
>
>I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
>
>Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
>suggestions ?
>
>Thanks

If you can't get XP to format the drive use this HP USB format tool.

http://www.docjelly.com/Blog/content/binary/SP27213.exe

Greg House

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:38:05 +1200, darkknight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
>it has a problem.
>
>I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
>data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
>some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
>of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
>folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
>try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
>error
>'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
>
>I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
>
>Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
>suggestions ?
>
>Thanks

If you can't get XP to format the drive use this HP USB format tool.

http://www.docjelly.com/Blog/content/binary/SP27213.exe

Find that is the older verion, here is a newer one..

http://h50178.www5.hp.com/support/PB...cal_17550.html

And even a much later one with added features have not tried this one..

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/se...ZIP/HPUSBF.exe