Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > backup software

backup software

darkknight

I'm trying to backup my entire hard drive to an external hard drive
but having some problems.

I was previously using Windows backup but it locks up (with a tiny
window that says "looking for backup devices") when I try to
run it now, after previously having to terminate it with task manager
when it locked up during a backup due to the failure of my former
external hard drive.

Robocopy fails when it comes to ntuser.dat because the file is in use
- even though I've disabled copying of system and hidden files.

Anyone know of some reasonable and inexpensive backup software that
works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or
new files when I re-run the backup.

TIA.

Craig Shore

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:05:48 +1200, darkknight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm trying to backup my entire hard drive to an external hard drive
>but having some problems.
>
>I was previously using Windows backup but it locks up (with a tiny
>window that says "looking for backup devices") when I try to
>run it now, after previously having to terminate it with task manager
>when it locked up during a backup due to the failure of my former
>external hard drive.
>
>Robocopy fails when it comes to ntuser.dat because the file is in use
>- even though I've disabled copying of system and hidden files.
>
>Anyone know of some reasonable and inexpensive backup software that
>works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or
>new files when I re-run the backup.

This was recommended either here or in a mag a while back, it's free.

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

Gordon

On 2007-09-08, Craig Shore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:05:48 +1200, darkknight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to backup my entire hard drive to an external hard drive
>>but having some problems.
>>
>>I was previously using Windows backup but it locks up (with a tiny
>>window that says "looking for backup devices") when I try to
>>run it now, after previously having to terminate it with task manager
>>when it locked up during a backup due to the failure of my former
>>external hard drive.
>>
>>Robocopy fails when it comes to ntuser.dat because the file is in use
>>- even though I've disabled copying of system and hidden files.
>>
>>Anyone know of some reasonable and inexpensive backup software that
>>works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or
>>new files when I re-run the backup.

> This was recommended either here or in a mag a while back, it's free.
>
> http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

Unison is also worth a look.

http://www.nongas.com likewaise.

darkknight

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:46:13 +1200, Craig Shore
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:05:48 +1200, darkknight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to backup my entire hard drive to an external hard drive
>>but having some problems.
>>
>>I was previously using Windows backup but it locks up (with a tiny
>>window that says "looking for backup devices") when I try to
>>run it now, after previously having to terminate it with task manager
>>when it locked up during a backup due to the failure of my former
>>external hard drive.
>>
>>Robocopy fails when it comes to ntuser.dat because the file is in use
>>- even though I've disabled copying of system and hidden files.
>>
>>Anyone know of some reasonable and inexpensive backup software that
>>works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or
>>new files when I re-run the backup.

>This was recommended either here or in a mag a while back, it's free.
>
>http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

Thanks, it seems quite nice but doesn't let me exclude files based on
attributes and can't easily copy open files - not bad for free
though.

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, darkknight.21
@gmail.com says...

> I'm trying to backup my entire hard drive to an external hard drive
> but having some problems.
>
> I was previously using Windows backup but it locks up (with a tiny
> window that says "looking for backup devices") when I try to
> run it now, after previously having to terminate it with task manager
> when it locked up during a backup due to the failure of my former
> external hard drive.
>
> Robocopy fails when it comes to ntuser.dat because the file is in use
> - even though I've disabled copying of system and hidden files.
>
> Anyone know of some reasonable and inexpensive backup software that
> works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or
> new files when I re-run the backup.

What version of windows are you running?

--
Duncan

darkknight

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 00:14:41 +1200, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, darkknight.21
>@gmail.com says...
>>
>> I'm trying to backup my entire hard drive to an external hard drive
>> but having some problems.
>>
>> I was previously using Windows backup but it locks up (with a tiny
>> window that says "looking for backup devices") when I try to
>> run it now, after previously having to terminate it with task manager
>> when it locked up during a backup due to the failure of my former
>> external hard drive.
>>
>> Robocopy fails when it comes to ntuser.dat because the file is in use
>> - even though I've disabled copying of system and hidden files.
>>
>> Anyone know of some reasonable and inexpensive backup software that
>> works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or
>> new files when I re-run the backup.

>What version of windows are you running?

XP Pro. Windows backup is starting up ok now - I think my USB drives
might have caused it a problem, depending on whether they're plugged
in or what drive letter gets assigned to them. Whatever the reason, I
don't want to use Windows backup anymore because if you can't run the
backup software, you can't use your backup.

impossible

"darkknight" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm trying to backup my entire hard drive to an external hard drive
> but having some problems.
>
> I was previously using Windows backup but it locks up (with a tiny
> window that says "looking for backup devices") when I try to
> run it now, after previously having to terminate it with task manager
> when it locked up during a backup due to the failure of my former
> external hard drive.
>
> Robocopy fails when it comes to ntuser.dat because the file is in use
> - even though I've disabled copying of system and hidden files.
>
> Anyone know of some reasonable and inexpensive backup software that
> works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or
> new files when I re-run the backup.

Seagate's DiskWizard will create a backup disk image for you. Ity's based on
the Acronis engine, and it's free.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, darkknight.21
@gmail.com says...
> On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 00:14:41 +1200, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, darkknight.21
> >@gmail.com says...
> >>
> >> I'm trying to backup my entire hard drive to an external hard drive
> >> but having some problems.
> >>
> >> I was previously using Windows backup but it locks up (with a tiny
> >> window that says "looking for backup devices") when I try to
> >> run it now, after previously having to terminate it with task manager
> >> when it locked up during a backup due to the failure of my former
> >> external hard drive.
> >>
> >> Robocopy fails when it comes to ntuser.dat because the file is in use
> >> - even though I've disabled copying of system and hidden files.
> >>
> >> Anyone know of some reasonable and inexpensive backup software that
> >> works better than copy *.* i.e. that will reliably copy changed or
> >> new files when I re-run the backup.

> >What version of windows are you running?

> XP Pro. Windows backup is starting up ok now - I think my USB drives
> might have caused it a problem, depending on whether they're plugged
> in or what drive letter gets assigned to them. Whatever the reason, I
> don't want to use Windows backup anymore because if you can't run the
> backup software, you can't use your backup.

It sounds like yer plugging the USB drive in at the wrong time

ntbackup works just fine with USB drives, although it's not the solution
that 'impossible' suggests, which you might want to run also.

I run both, ntbackup runs daily as does the full version of Paragon's
Drive Backup. Acronis True Image is pretty much the same, and that you
have access to a free cutdown/older version is pretty cool I think.

The cool thing about backing up using imaging s/w (with the exception to
MS's crappy new ASR backups which you'll find probably won't work at
boot with a USB drive (unlike Acronis or Paragon)), is that you have a
complete image to restore. ntbackup covers file based backups a lot
better IMO (and is the only way to backup things like Exchange Server).
You should also check your database backups if you have any to do, and
do those using the database engine if you run a client/server database.

--
Duncan

darkknight

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 11:30:57 +1200, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, darkknight.21
>@gmail.com says...
>> On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 00:14:41 +1200, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, darkknight.21
>> >@gmail.com says...

>> >What version of windows are you running?

>> XP Pro. Windows backup is starting up ok now - I think my USB drives
>> might have caused it a problem, depending on whether they're plugged
>> in or what drive letter gets assigned to them. Whatever the reason, I
>> don't want to use Windows backup anymore because if you can't run the
>> backup software, you can't use your backup.

>It sounds like yer plugging the USB drive in at the wrong time
>
>ntbackup works just fine with USB drives, although it's not the solution
>that 'impossible' suggests, which you might want to run also.
>
>I run both, ntbackup runs daily as does the full version of Paragon's
>Drive Backup. Acronis True Image is pretty much the same, and that you
>have access to a free cutdown/older version is pretty cool I think.
>
>The cool thing about backing up using imaging s/w (with the exception to
>MS's crappy new ASR backups which you'll find probably won't work at
>boot with a USB drive (unlike Acronis or Paragon)), is that you have a
>complete image to restore. ntbackup covers file based backups a lot
>better IMO (and is the only way to backup things like Exchange Server).
>You should also check your database backups if you have any to do, and
>do those using the database engine if you run a client/server database.

I have Norton Ghost version 9 (aka V 2004) but never installed it and
not sure I want to. Without installing it I can't tell whether I can
"restore" selected files and folders from the backup - if not, it's
not what I want.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,117621/article.html

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, darkknight.21
@gmail.com says...
> On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 11:30:57 +1200, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, darkknight.21
> >@gmail.com says...

> >> XP Pro. Windows backup is starting up ok now - I think my USB drives
> >> might have caused it a problem, depending on whether they're plugged
> >> in or what drive letter gets assigned to them. Whatever the reason, I
> >> don't want to use Windows backup anymore because if you can't run the
> >> backup software, you can't use your backup.

> >It sounds like yer plugging the USB drive in at the wrong time
> >
> >ntbackup works just fine with USB drives, although it's not the solution
> >that 'impossible' suggests, which you might want to run also.
> >
> >I run both, ntbackup runs daily as does the full version of Paragon's
> >Drive Backup. Acronis True Image is pretty much the same, and that you
> >have access to a free cutdown/older version is pretty cool I think.
> >
> >The cool thing about backing up using imaging s/w (with the exception to
> >MS's crappy new ASR backups which you'll find probably won't work at
> >boot with a USB drive (unlike Acronis or Paragon)), is that you have a
> >complete image to restore. ntbackup covers file based backups a lot
> >better IMO (and is the only way to backup things like Exchange Server).
> >You should also check your database backups if you have any to do, and
> >do those using the database engine if you run a client/server database.

> I have Norton Ghost version 9 (aka V 2004) but never installed it and
> not sure I want to. Without installing it I can't tell whether I can
> "restore" selected files and folders from the backup - if not, it's
> not what I want.
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,117621/article.html

Dunno, not used it for a few years, but I'd guess it can do file
restores (dig in and open an image to see files etc).

Imaging s/w is best tried out at OS install time - so if a test restore
fails, you've not lost much.

Unfortunately, if you're way down the track, then you still need to test
a restore (just as you need to test file restores). The consequences of
an image restore failure though... hmmm... But you *do* have to test
it. No point in makin' 'em otherwise. Good luck

--
Duncan