Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP My Pictures copying loop

XP My Pictures copying loop

brazen

I have a friend who is having problems with her computer (Win XP) in that
she copied a folder of photos in her My Pictures folder, and now every time
she opens the folder it copies them over and over and over.... seems to be
in some kind of loop

Anybody else had this problem or heard of this?

Gay

E. Scrooge

"brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fbna49$3vc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a friend who is having problems with her computer (Win XP) in that
>she copied a folder of photos in her My Pictures folder, and now every time
>she opens the folder it copies them over and over and over.... seems to be
>in some kind of loop
>
> Anybody else had this problem or heard of this?
>
> Gay

When selecting all images one has to be careful an extra click of the mouse
on the screen can easily paste several copies or in some cases a jump of the
mouse cursor as well.
It should show how many files are in her new folder, it could be in the
thousands if she had plenty of files to start with.

Worth knowing that their are several ways of copying files and moving files
with XP.

E. Scrooge

brazen

> "brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fbna49$3vc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a friend who is having problems with her computer (Win XP) in that
>>she copied a folder of photos in her My Pictures folder, and now every
>>time she opens the folder it copies them over and over and over.... seems
>>to be in some kind of loop
>>
>> Anybody else had this problem or heard of this?
>>
>> Gay

> When selecting all images one has to be careful an extra click of the
> mouse on the screen can easily paste several copies or in some cases a
> jump of the mouse cursor as well.
> It should show how many files are in her new folder, it could be in the
> thousands if she had plenty of files to start with.
>
> Worth knowing that their are several ways of copying files and moving
> files with XP.

Mmm thats not the problem here, it seems to copy evey time she opens the
folder. She has switched off and on, unplugged and still keeps happning

gay

E. Scrooge

"brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fbnel8$g30$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>>
>> "brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fbna49$3vc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have a friend who is having problems with her computer (Win XP) in that
>>>she copied a folder of photos in her My Pictures folder, and now every
>>>time she opens the folder it copies them over and over and over.... seems
>>>to be in some kind of loop
>>>
>>> Anybody else had this problem or heard of this?
>>>
>>> Gay

>> When selecting all images one has to be careful an extra click of the
>> mouse on the screen can easily paste several copies or in some cases a
>> jump of the mouse cursor as well.
>> It should show how many files are in her new folder, it could be in the
>> thousands if she had plenty of files to start with.
>>
>> Worth knowing that their are several ways of copying files and moving
>> files with XP.
>>

> Mmm thats not the problem here, it seems to copy evey time she opens the
> folder. She has switched off and on, unplugged and still keeps happning
>
> gay

You might have to check the folder options menu. Perhaps that's the only
folder the problem is happening on.

E. Scrooge

none

brazen wrote:
> Mmm thats not the problem here, it seems to copy evey time she opens the
> folder. She has switched off and on, unplugged and still keeps happning

Could try being more specific (or less vague).

Copies them where exactly? What kind of behaviour does the machine display?

impossible

"brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fbna49$3vc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a friend who is having problems with her computer (Win XP) in that
>she copied a folder of photos in her My Pictures folder, and now every time
>she opens the folder it copies them over and over and over.... seems to be
>in some kind of loop
>
> Anybody else had this problem or heard of this?

Sounds like trouble. Has your friend got a good AV program installed?

brazen

"none" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46df4030$(E-Mail Removed)...
> brazen wrote:
>> Mmm thats not the problem here, it seems to copy evey time she opens the
>> folder. She has switched off and on, unplugged and still keeps happning

> Could try being more specific (or less vague).
>
> Copies them where exactly? What kind of behaviour does the machine
> display?

I havent seen it myself - she's been phoning me for help. But AFAIK she has
a subfolder in My Pictures with 7 slide scans and each time she opens MP it
copies the folder to itself (ie MP) - at last count it was over 100x so that
says its only doing it when she opens the folder, otherwise there would be
thousands as she first had the problem yesterday.

Gay

brazen

"impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fbna49$3vc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a friend who is having problems with her computer (Win XP) in that
>>she copied a folder of photos in her My Pictures folder, and now every
>>time she opens the folder it copies them over and over and over.... seems
>>to be in some kind of loop
>>
>> Anybody else had this problem or heard of this?
>>

> Sounds like trouble. Has your friend got a good AV program installed?

I think its one of the freebies Avast

impossible

"brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fbngcb$jqd$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "none" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46df4030$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> brazen wrote:
>>> Mmm thats not the problem here, it seems to copy evey time she opens the
>>> folder. She has switched off and on, unplugged and still keeps happning

>> Could try being more specific (or less vague).
>>
>> Copies them where exactly? What kind of behaviour does the machine
>> display?

> I havent seen it myself - she's been phoning me for help. But AFAIK she
> has a subfolder in My Pictures with 7 slide scans and each time she opens
> MP it copies the folder to itself (ie MP) - at last count it was over 100x
> so that says its only doing it when she opens the folder, otherwise there
> would be thousands as she first had the problem yesterday.

Just as a check, if you haven't already tried this -- have your friend
reboot the machine in Safe Mode and then see if you get the same behavior.
If not, then either the problem is a one-off fluke (reboot in Normal Mode to
confirm) or else it's caused by some rogue script or trojan that's suddenly
getting loaded on a regular start-up.

Mark Robinson

brazen wrote:
> "none" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46df4030$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> brazen wrote:
>>> Mmm thats not the problem here, it seems to copy evey time she opens the
>>> folder. She has switched off and on, unplugged and still keeps happning

>> Could try being more specific (or less vague).
>>
>> Copies them where exactly? What kind of behaviour does the machine
>> display?

> I havent seen it myself - she's been phoning me for help. But AFAIK she has
> a subfolder in My Pictures with 7 slide scans and each time she opens MP it
> copies the folder to itself (ie MP) - at last count it was over 100x so that
> says its only doing it when she opens the folder, otherwise there would be
> thousands as she first had the problem yesterday.

It sounds as though there may be a link getting a bit recursive somewhere.

Perhaps she's managed get a link into MP which points to MP.

Ask her if any of the icons have wee arrows.

Scandisk applied to the file structure may help (I don't think a surface scan
is necessary or would help).