Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Server.Transfer does not work?

Server.Transfer does not work?

Tom

Hi

I am trying to transfer to a different .ASPX page using Server.Transfer.
However, I get the following error:

"Error executing child request for [pagename].aspx."

Anyone know why?

Thanks for help.

Bill Priess

Can you post the code where you are calling the Server.Transfer?
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I am trying to transfer to a different .ASPX page using Server.Transfer.
> However, I get the following error:
>
> "Error executing child request for [pagename].aspx."
>
> Anyone know why?
>
> Thanks for help.

Tom

This is my statement:

Server.Transfer("QuestionChoice.aspx");

I also tried:
Server.Transfer("QuestionChoice.aspx", true);

I get the same error for both statements.

"Bill Priess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can you post the code where you are calling the Server.Transfer?
> "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying to transfer to a different .ASPX page using Server.Transfer.
> > However, I get the following error:
> >
> > "Error executing child request for [pagename].aspx."
> >
> > Anyone know why?
> >
> > Thanks for help.

trinitypete

I had a similar problem where I was Server.Transfer to
another aspx page which had a crystal report viewer on it.
If I executed the transfer it worked fine, if any other
user executed the transfer they received the error as you
did. The problem was that we were using windows integrated
security on the site and some of the user accounts didn't
have ACL permissions for the some of the crystal Dll's
etc.

I dont know if this is a similar situation to that what
you have.

Pete.

Tom

Thanks for the reply. My application is also using DLL libraries developed
in .NET. I removed integrated security and it worked (I wonder what's the
connection).

However, I got another error:
+++
Thread was being aborted.
Error Type: [System.Threading.ThreadAbortException]
+++

What I am trying to do is this:

When the user submits a form, I process the data (update the database) and
forward to request to another page, but I want the form submitted values to
be passed on to the new page.

Do you know of a way to do this?

Thanks

"trinitypete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:01cd01c33b33$63916630$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I had a similar problem where I was Server.Transfer to
> another aspx page which had a crystal report viewer on it.
> If I executed the transfer it worked fine, if any other
> user executed the transfer they received the error as you
> did. The problem was that we were using windows integrated
> security on the site and some of the user accounts didn't
> have ACL permissions for the some of the crystal Dll's
> etc.
>
> I dont know if this is a similar situation to that what
> you have.
>
> Pete.

trinitypete

Tom,

With regard to security:

If integrated security is being used access to system file
resources is done via the windows account that the user
has used to sign in with. Whats probably happening is that
the user you are logging in with doesn't have sufficient
windows permissions to access the actual DLL's etc.
Whatever components you are using ensure your user has
sufficient windows permissions to access them.

With regard to passing values from one page to another,
there are several ways.

In the calling page store the values in either
SessionState or Context - SessionState variables live for
the lifetime of the session and context variables are only
valid in the context of the request.

Session["MyVar"]=textbox1.Text

or

Context.Items["MyVar"]=textbox1.Text

in the called page:

if (Session["MyVar"]!=null)
string mystring = (string)Session["MyVar"]

or

if (Context.Items["MyVar"]!=null)
string mystring = (string)Session["MyVar"]

Another way is to use QueryStrings - Appending data to the
url and picking them back out in the called page. You'll
have to go and look this one up in the help, I don't use
them very often.

HTH. Pete.