Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Odd. DScaler works when card not installed

Odd. DScaler works when card not installed

Nighthawk

When I replace my mobo recently everything worked except the Cebra
teletext programme. There were yellow exclamation marks against a
'video device' in Device Manager which I took to be the onboard
graphics that I thought the OS was detecting though I had disabled it
in the BIOS, so didn't get too concerned about it. All hardware was
working as it should.

But last night, while poking around, I fired up MSinfo32 and it
identified the problem hardware as the TV card. I have never had any
trouble running the TV card, including the integrated teletext, since
replacing the mobo so was surprised at this. I re-installed the TV
card drivers and re-installed the Cebra teletext programme and it
worked. Odd that the TV card worked flawlessly when supposedly not
installed properly but the teletext programme wouldn't.

The little Cebra telext window is not as nice as DScaler's integrated
teletext but you can copy text, which I find useful

sam

Nighthawk wrote:
> When I replace my mobo recently everything worked except the Cebra
> teletext programme. There were yellow exclamation marks against a
> 'video device' in Device Manager which I took to be the onboard
> graphics that I thought the OS was detecting though I had disabled it
> in the BIOS, so didn't get too concerned about it. All hardware was
> working as it should.
>
> But last night, while poking around, I fired up MSinfo32 and it
> identified the problem hardware as the TV card. I have never had any
> trouble running the TV card, including the integrated teletext, since
> replacing the mobo so was surprised at this. I re-installed the TV
> card drivers and re-installed the Cebra teletext programme and it
> worked. Odd that the TV card worked flawlessly when supposedly not
> installed properly but the teletext programme wouldn't.
>
> The little Cebra telext window is not as nice as DScaler's integrated
> teletext but you can copy text, which I find useful

Dscaler interfaces directly with the card.
It was built on the linux bttv driver for bt8x8 cards, it doesn't need
the card vendors software.

Richard

Nighthawk wrote:
> When I replace my mobo recently everything worked except the Cebra
> teletext programme. There were yellow exclamation marks against a
> 'video device' in Device Manager which I took to be the onboard
> graphics that I thought the OS was detecting though I had disabled it
> in the BIOS, so didn't get too concerned about it. All hardware was
> working as it should.
>
> But last night, while poking around, I fired up MSinfo32 and it
> identified the problem hardware as the TV card. I have never had any
> trouble running the TV card, including the integrated teletext, since
> replacing the mobo so was surprised at this. I re-installed the TV
> card drivers and re-installed the Cebra teletext programme and it
> worked. Odd that the TV card worked flawlessly when supposedly not
> installed properly but the teletext programme wouldn't.
>
> The little Cebra telext window is not as nice as DScaler's integrated
> teletext but you can copy text, which I find useful

Dscaler reads in image data and processes it to get the text data out,
the other software is usually reliant on a much more error resiliant
teletext decoder chip on the card that it reads out. Less missing pages
and errors on noisy channels IME...