Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft Kills Autopatcher.

Microsoft Kills Autopatcher.

Greg House

I had a call from Microsoft Legal this morning and they have told me that we are no longer allowed
to endorse AutoPatcher on Neowin.

Autopatcher is the best way to update XP when you have to reinstall XP and you only have a Dial
up connection or a backup a batch of PC to upgrade..

http://www.autopatcher.com/134

Nighthawk

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:31:43 +1200, Greg House
<(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I had a call from Microsoft Legal this morning and they have told me that we are no longer allowed
>to endorse AutoPatcher on Neowin.
>

>Autopatcher is the best way to update XP when you have to reinstall XP and you only have a Dial
>up connection or a backup a batch of PC to upgrade..
>

>http://www.autopatcher.com/134

MS is totally barking mad.

Squiggle

Nighthawk wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:31:43 +1200, Greg House
> <(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>> I had a call from Microsoft Legal this morning and they have told me that we are no longer allowed
>> to endorse AutoPatcher on Neowin.
>>

>> Autopatcher is the best way to update XP when you have to reinstall XP and you only have a Dial
>> up connection or a backup a batch of PC to upgrade..
>>

>> http://www.autopatcher.com/134

> MS is totally barking mad.

Yep, if this is there attitude to a useful little program that helps
keep all the updates in one place they need their heads read.

Microsoft -1
Alternatives 1

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:50:54 +1200, Nighthawk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <news:(E-Mail Removed) >:

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:31:43 +1200, Greg House
> <(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>>I had a call from Microsoft Legal this morning and they have told me that we are no longer allowed
>>to endorse AutoPatcher on Neowin.
>>

>>Autopatcher is the best way to update XP when you have to reinstall XP and you only have a Dial
>>up connection or a backup a batch of PC to upgrade..
>>

>>http://www.autopatcher.com/134

> MS is totally barking mad.

Now, THAT is NOT news.

--
Nicolaas.

.... Oh ... and a bottle of bandersnatch repellent, please.

XPD

"Squiggle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> http://www.autopatcher.com/134

>> MS is totally barking mad.
>>

> Yep, if this is there attitude to a useful little program that helps keep
> all the updates in one place they need their heads read.
>
> Microsoft -1
> Alternatives 1

Autopatcher has been a huge hekp to me in the past couple of years.
Customer give me PC to reinstall
Reinstall, then run auto patcher - done pretty quick and no bandwidth charge
to the customer

MS's way, will cost me and the customer more in bandwidth charges - also
push me over my data usage.

Cant win.

<(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I had a call from Microsoft Legal this morning and they have told me that we are no longer allowed
>to endorse AutoPatcher on Neowin.
>

>Autopatcher is the best way to update XP when you have to reinstall XP and you only have a Dial
>up connection or a backup a batch of PC to upgrade..
>

>http://www.autopatcher.com/134

So now, unless you have kept an autopatcher core file, you will have
to go online after a fresh install with basically an unpatched PC?

Given the quantity of patches since SP2, that is a lot of downloads, a
big problem for those not on broadband. Autopatcher had additional
peformance and security tweaks on top of Microsoft's patches.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Nighthawk wrote:

> Autopatcher had additional
> peformance and security tweaks on top of Microsoft's patches.

In other words, it was full of unauthorized modifications to Microsoft's
software.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Nighthawk wrote:

> MS is totally barking mad.

Oh, you ungrateful Dimdows users. Microsoft deigns to share a few crumbs of
its wonderful technology with you, and yet you're still not satisfied.
Imagine if it were to take all its toys and go home, and you weren't able
to use Dimdows any more. How would you feel then?

Nighthawk

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:27:16 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Nighthawk wrote:
>
>> Autopatcher had additional
>> peformance and security tweaks on top of Microsoft's patches.

>In other words, it was full of unauthorized modifications to Microsoft's
>software.

If you call applying tweaks 'unauthorised'. People have been tweaking
Windows for many years, eg, making it use more of the RAM and less
Swap file, closing unused network ports, changing themes.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Nighthawk wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:27:16 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Nighthawk wrote:
>>
>>> Autopatcher had additional
>>> peformance and security tweaks on top of Microsoft's patches.

>>In other words, it was full of unauthorized modifications to Microsoft's
>>software.

> If you call applying tweaks 'unauthorised'. People have been tweaking
> Windows for many years, eg, making it use more of the RAM and less
> Swap file, closing unused network ports, changing themes.

Yes, but redistributing those tweaks becomes a violation of Microsoft's
copyright.