Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xtra's two help-desks

Reply
Thread Tools

Xtra's two help-desks

 
 
Jerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2007
Sue Bilstein wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 17:03:35 +1200, Jerry
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Geoff wrote:
>>>> Donchano wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> A Philippine male is a Filipino and a Philippine female is a Filipino.
>>>> No, female is Filipina.
>>> So what's the term for referring to Filipinos generally?

>> Well, back in my USMC days.... never mind, not exactly PC

>
> Gugus, right?
>
> In general I admire and respect Filipinos. They are good with people,
> and most of the ones I've known have been clever and competent as
> well. (The few who are good with people, lazy and clueless rise
> immediately into management roles). They are also tough and brave.
> IME, that is.


That or just "Flips". No problems with them as a group myself, like any
other group.


























 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Donchano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2007
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 17:03:35 +1200, Jerry
<(E-Mail Removed)> magnanimously proffered:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Geoff wrote:
>>
>>> Donchano wrote:
>>>
>>>> A Philippine male is a Filipino and a Philippine female is a Filipino.
>>> No, female is Filipina.

>>
>> So what's the term for referring to Filipinos generally?

>
>Well, back in my USMC days.... never mind, not exactly PC


Does "LBFM" ring a bell?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2007
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:29:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> magnanimously proffered:
>
>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Geoff wrote:
>>
>>> Donchano wrote:
>>>
>>>> A Philippine male is a Filipino and a Philippine female is a Filipino.
>>>
>>> No, female is Filipina.

>>
>>So what's the term for referring to Filipinos generally?

>
> Didn't read your question correctly. The answer is: Filipinos.
> Generally, Filipinos are referred to as Filipinos. Generally.


So you wouldn't say "Filipinos and Filipinas", then?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2007
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> So what's the term for referring to Filipinos generally?

>
> Well, back in my USMC days.... never mind, not exactly PC


And they wonder why people chant "Death to Amerika!"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Donchano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2007
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:39:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> magnanimously proffered:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:29:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> magnanimously proffered:
>>
>>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Geoff wrote:
>>>
>>>> Donchano wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> A Philippine male is a Filipino and a Philippine female is a Filipino.
>>>>
>>>> No, female is Filipina.
>>>
>>>So what's the term for referring to Filipinos generally?

>>
>> Didn't read your question correctly. The answer is: Filipinos.
>> Generally, Filipinos are referred to as Filipinos. Generally.

>
>So you wouldn't say "Filipinos and Filipinas", then?


No. Filipinos are males. Filipinas are females. But when you refer to
both males and females in GENERAL they are Filipinos.

Filipino + Filipina = Filipinos.

To put it another way a Mexicano is a male Mexican. Mexicana a female.
But the people of Mexico are generally and specifically referred to as
Mexicanos. Ain't English wonderful?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sue Bilstein
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2007
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:39:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:29:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>>>
>>>So what's the term for referring to Filipinos generally?

>>
>> Didn't read your question correctly. The answer is: Filipinos.
>> Generally, Filipinos are referred to as Filipinos. Generally.

>
>So you wouldn't say "Filipinos and Filipinas", then?


If you're referring to a group with mixed genders or where gender is
unknown / irrelevant, then the masculine form of the plural is used.
That's the case with all languages I know of anyway.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sue Bilstein
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2007
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:47:36 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry wrote:
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> So what's the term for referring to Filipinos generally?

>>
>> Well, back in my USMC days.... never mind, not exactly PC

>
>And they wonder why people chant "Death to Amerika!"



Of course it's only Americans who have slang names for races or
nationalities.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2007
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:39:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> magnanimously proffered:
>
>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:29:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> magnanimously proffered:
>>>
>>>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Geoff wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Donchano wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> A Philippine male is a Filipino and a Philippine female is a
>>>>>> Filipino.
>>>>>
>>>>> No, female is Filipina.
>>>>
>>>>So what's the term for referring to Filipinos generally?
>>>
>>> Didn't read your question correctly. The answer is: Filipinos.
>>> Generally, Filipinos are referred to as Filipinos. Generally.

>>
>>So you wouldn't say "Filipinos and Filipinas", then?

>
> No. Filipinos are males. Filipinas are females. But when you refer to
> both males and females in GENERAL they are Filipinos.
>
> Filipino + Filipina = Filipinos.
>
> To put it another way a Mexicano is a male Mexican. Mexicana a female.
> But the people of Mexico are generally and specifically referred to as
> Mexicanos. Ain't English wonderful?


How would they do it in Spanish?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sue Bilstein
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2007
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 19:22:31 +1200, Donchano
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:39:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
><(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> magnanimously proffered:
>
>>So you wouldn't say "Filipinos and Filipinas", then?

>
>No. Filipinos are males. Filipinas are females. But when you refer to
>both males and females in GENERAL they are Filipinos.
>
>Filipino + Filipina = Filipinos.
>
>To put it another way a Mexicano is a male Mexican. Mexicana a female.
>But the people of Mexico are generally and specifically referred to as
>Mexicanos. Ain't English wonderful?



French too - un francais, une francaise; des francais. And German and
Russian.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Donchano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2007
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 19:40:46 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> magnanimously proffered:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:39:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> magnanimously proffered:
>>
>>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:29:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>>>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> magnanimously proffered:
>>>>
>>>>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Geoff wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Donchano wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> A Philippine male is a Filipino and a Philippine female is a
>>>>>>> Filipino.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> No, female is Filipina.
>>>>>
>>>>>So what's the term for referring to Filipinos generally?
>>>>
>>>> Didn't read your question correctly. The answer is: Filipinos.
>>>> Generally, Filipinos are referred to as Filipinos. Generally.
>>>
>>>So you wouldn't say "Filipinos and Filipinas", then?

>>
>> No. Filipinos are males. Filipinas are females. But when you refer to
>> both males and females in GENERAL they are Filipinos.
>>
>> Filipino + Filipina = Filipinos.
>>
>> To put it another way a Mexicano is a male Mexican. Mexicana a female.
>> But the people of Mexico are generally and specifically referred to as
>> Mexicanos. Ain't English wonderful?

>
>How would they do it in Spanish?


In Spanish: Filipino + Filipina = Filipinos. Just like Mexicano +
Mexicana = Mexicanos. The only difference is that, in English,
Mexicanos turns into "Mexicans." But Filipinos remains Filipinos.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(8-bit binary to two digit bcd) or (8-bit binary to two digit seven segment) Fangs VHDL 3 10-26-2008 06:41 AM
How to compare two SOAP Envelope or two Document or two XML files GenxLogic Java 3 12-06-2006 08:41 PM
Router with NAT and two T1 and two ISP's John Cisco 4 10-16-2004 02:03 AM
Two ISP -Two Routers - 1 PIX James Parks Cisco 5 12-11-2003 08:55 PM
Cisco 2611 with Two T1 from two ISPs Adam Embrey Cisco 3 07-24-2003 10:22 PM



Advertisments